Bull Pot Kingsdale

jbinney

After a recent trip to BPK I was just wondering who was involved with it being re-bolted recently? As I wasn't sure sure on how to rig the first pitch without any rope rub?

IanWalker

Did you check the cave information on the CNCC website?

It has information on its re-bolting (2016) and a rigging topo dated June 2017

https://cncc.org.uk/cave/bull-pot

Ed

Actually, those bolts are awkward and dangerous for short people -- as we recently found out.

also a traverse line should of been take further back - to allow you to come of the system a safe distance from the edge.

And the rope does rub (slightly)

Ed

The placement without a traverse to them.

You have to come of the system and its not the easiest to exit if you are short....

Dangerous as in thrutching around on the edge not in the system.

No question about the physical placement being safe just a traverse to them / back up further away from edge would be safer

topcat

There is a huge natural to protect the lead in.......or have we become so bolt focused that we can't use these anymore?

(Approach from the road side, natural is on the R)

jbinney

topcat said:
There is a huge natural to protect the lead in.......or have we become so bolt focused that we can't use these anymore?

(Approach from the road side, natural is on the R)

I agree entirely with using naturals and using the thread on the right is perfect and what I have used lots of times but doesn't give as friendly and safe traverse as what was there using the bolts on the back wall.

But my main question was the positioning of the new bolt and is anybody able to rig it without rope rub?

topcat

But my main question was the positioning of the new bolt and is anybody able to rig it without rope rub?
[/quote]

Might depend on where the rub is: if at the knot then follow standard rigging procedure..................

Mike Hopley

Might depend on where the rub is: if at the knot then follow standard rigging procedure..................

Just to spell this out -- if the knot rubs, try any of:

• Moving it by adjusting the length of the knot loop(s)
  • Attaching it to the bolt with a chain of two (or zero!) carabiners/maillons, not one (rotates the knot 90 degrees)
  • Extending it with a sling or dyneema cord (to take the rub)

The latter two can also be effective when it's the loop of the knot that is rubbing.