Cost of caving

F

Flix

Hi, caving is a very new interest for me, so forgive me if this info was posted eleswhere.

What I need to know is the cost of caving. How much would one likely spend on a day out caving? If you joined a club, would they provide the equipment, or is it expected that you provide your own?

Thanks,

Flix :)

ditzy 24//7

you can start of very cheap wearing old clothes and torches in a cave or mine that is easy, a builders helmet makes a good budget start.Most clubs will be able to lend you gear to start with usually cost nothing to cave just turn up and do it. unless you want to buy a permit for a some caves on mendip.Take spare batteries and torches and let somwbody reliable know how to call our cave rescue and when you will be back.
Once more advanced in caveing you may wish to buy a  better helmet and lighting system and a furry and warmbac but thise will come at a price.

ditzy

caving_fox

Most clubs may have some equipment, or normally a kind hearted soul who can lend you some of their spare personal equipment, but the more often you go caving with them, the greater the expectation is that you will provide your own kit.

Other costs if you stay in a hut approx ?5/night, plus food and fuel shares. And your own beer!

M

MSD

The biggest cost of caving for most people is the travel cost of getting to the caves (beer and food doesn't count in my book since you have to eat and drink anyway). A set of clothes, helmet, light, vertical equipment, bits and pieces costs maybe 600 pounds (only a rough estimate, obviously it depends how much you shop around and what you buy). Note that you don't have to buy everything at once as Ditzy points out. Most people start out with some old clothes and a borrowed helmet and light and take it from there, buying stuff as they need it for more advanced trips. A decent set of clothing is highest priority - being cold and miserable is not much fun and clothing needs to FIT, so it's harder to borrow.

If you compare the cost of caving against many other "adventure" sports, caving is not so expensive. 600 pounds doesn't go very far if you want to buy (for example) a set of scuba diving equipment, a complete set of ice climbing equipment and clothing, a decent mountain bike, a sailing dinghy, a hang glider, etc. etc.

Mark

Elaine

Most clubs will be able to take new people caving for a nominal fee. This is to cover temporary membership/kit hire etc. Not many clubs lend out oversuits or wellies, but most have lights and hats. Like caving_fox says, usually some kind hearted soul will lend you anything else you would need for your first trip. I am extra kind as I lend newbies knee and elbow pads too!

So you should be able to get your first trip for about ?5 if it is local.

After that - as caving_fox says - the expectation is that you start to buy your own kit. If you take into account the cost of a complete set of basic caving kit, and how long it lasts, then it must cost say ?2-3 a trip. The 'kit' is the biggest initial expense.

N

New Phil

I got all my start up kit for less than one hundred pounds...

I don't think you can really spend much less than that and have enough gear to properly experience caving comfortably and safely

D

darkplaces

?40 for everything! Excluding the bolt cutters....
Wanna know more, join c**tplaces ;)

W

Walrus

Me, just over a year ago...

[quote author=Walrus]My equipment: Builders helmet (?5) with sticky hooks (?2) stuck on it to hold a headlamp on - . Headlamp was a no-name jobby bought off eBay for ?15 (on Miles recommendation - it works well!). A boilersuit (?5) and wellies (?9) from B&Q and a cheap rucksack off the market for a fiver. So all told I got all I needed including batteries (and spare batteries & torches) for under ?40.[/quote]

Now I'm closer to the ?600 mark coz I bought a Warmbac, furry, knee & elbow pads, on my 2nd proper helmet (first one got a crack in it), SRT gear  and you wouldn't believe how much I've spent on lights... it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be.

K

ken

Like everyone says, clothing is the first thing (coveralls with long johns underneath) when you start?..and a helmet (construction type).

Lights??always have two different sets with you. (one breaks or goes dead) Waterproof and shockproof with extra batteries in plastic containers.

Bag??any rugged made bag will do for a start. Inside the bag you should have (just a recommendation) Something to eat for quick energy (chocolate bars), emergency blanket (space blanket from a car first aid kit),a whistle (its louder than a yell if you need help) and batteries. It all weighs less than a pound and it could be a lifesaver.

Neoprene?.wonderful if you?re going into water all the time (used cheap in EBAY).Neo socks are great if  you get cold feet or the water is deeper than you?re wellys are high.

SRT= single rope technique??.is something you start after you have some experience and you have someone with you that can teach you correctly, that is the most expensive part of caving. I wouldn?t recommend buying all that stuff until you decide that?s what you really want.

W

wormster

Walrus said:
Me, just over a year ago...

[quote author=Walrus]My equipment: Builders helmet (?5) with sticky hooks (?2) stuck on it to hold a headlamp on - . Headlamp was a no-name jobby bought off eBay for ?15 (on Miles recommendation - it works well!). A boilersuit (?5) and wellies (?9) from B&Q and a cheap rucksack off the market for a fiver. So all told I got all I needed including batteries (and spare batteries & torches) for under ?40.

Now I'm closer to the ?600 mark coz I bought a Warmbac, furry, knee & elbow pads, on my 2nd proper helmet (first one got a crack in it), SRT gear  and you wouldn't believe how much I've spent on lights... it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be.

[/quote]

that'd be closer to the mark on what I've spent.

A

AMW

Custom dry suit ?1400
Re-breather ?4500
Under suits ?250
HID ?400
Wing and backplate ?250
Integrated deco computer ?650
Back up computer ?300
Bail out cylinders ?250
valves X2 ?500
Mask ,fins,back up lights, knifes, etc ?500
Compressor ?1450
Booster pump ?1500
DPV (scooter) ?2500

:tease:

Andrew.

Hughie

cap 'n chris said:
I reckon he has a flag poking out of his hat with "I'm over here!" written on it.

Absolutely, Cap'n.

With all that ?'s worth of kit and still to be only one breath from death!

A

AMW

They saw you coming, shops
I'm over here

Well as you both seem to have a good knowledge of diving and cave diving and know where you can get it cheaper do tell , Custom bits come with a price ,but with you expertise you must know that :clap: Most of the RB is to my own design with bits made in Germany and Belgium as well as England.

All very nice toys although cave diving is a hobby and not real life  ::)

Andrew

j4nny

AMW said:
Custom dry suit ?1400
Re-breather ?4500
Under suits ?250
HID ?400
Wing and backplate ?250
Integrated deco computer ?650
Back up computer ?300
Bail out cylinders ?250
valves X2 ?500
Mask ,fins,back up lights, knifes, etc ?500
Compressor ?1450
Booster pump ?1500
DPV (scooter) ?2500

:tease:

Andrew.

boys and there toys.................. :greed:  :bow:

cap n chris

Sorry, Andrew; I think Hughie and I were just pulling your leg (certainly I know I was!) - my humble diving kit wasn't cheap (I don't think any of it is) - but your inclusion of the prices compared with those of the OP enquiry were a juxtaposition which couldn't go uncommented upon!

A

AMW

I were just pulling your leg

I was just joining in  :chair:

What makes it worse is I am now have two rebreather, other some friends have four

Just remember "he who has the most toys wins"  :tease:

Andrew.

cap n chris

AMW said:
Just remember "he who has the most toys wins"  :tease:

Andrew.

Perhaps we should post up pics of all our respective kit, laid out all proper like, and see who's collection wins?.... (I should warn you, I'm a bit of a kit-freak!).