• Hello From Descent

The publication date for issue 289 is the 10th of December, meaning subscribers should receive their copies during the week leading up to that date. It is also available from caving suppliers such as Inglesport and Starless River, or from our new website

New Descent board here:

Recent content by EFRESHW

1. E

CHECC MEME COMP 2022

I wanted a space to put this meme I made up :-) Elise x
  2. E

Cave/Mine at Stoney

Hey! if anyone has any questions about this mine, give me a message. I can't say anything more because of (reasons...) but I have a lot of info :)
  3. E

For those who are scared..

Hi everyone ! I really want to find a neat way to help those who are beginning caving/ thinking of caving find it less intimidating. Does anyone know of any good statistics ( with sources?) which represent how safe caving can be ? For instance, I hear about how you are more likely to...
  4. E

Historical Caving Attire

I have to say a big thank you to the overwhelming response I have been given from this post! It's so lovely to read all the links, the experiences and everything that you have wanted to share with me. I will be making this in to a short documentary, so it's good to hear about it. Do keep the...
  5. E

Historical Caving Attire

Derbyshire!
  6. E

Historical Caving Attire

Hello! I'm looking to do some research on the history of caver attire. (from tweed caps to hard hats!) -Does anyone recollect information from any books they know about the history of caver attire? -Does anyone have/know a friend who would be willing to lend me a working carbide lamp? For...
  7. E

Filming Alumpot next week

If you ever need a cave presenter, you know where to find me ! Regards, Your favourite caving-presenter :) https://youtube.com/c/EliseFreshwaterBlizzard
  8. E

Carslwark Oyster bed question

I feel silly for asking, so here goes: I remember reading / hearing somewhere that Carlswark Cavern's Oyster Bed is the largest in Europe. Can anyone confirm this? I'm looking for a source. More broadly: I'm looking for information on Carlswark Cavern. I'm just really interested in the place...
  9. E

Purple Stalactites

thanks guys! been wondering this. I've seen it in showcaves just as much in non-show caves, so was wondering what it could be. Interesting about the lantern flora, because I've seen this in non-tourist caves, too! Maybe it's a mix of both
  10. E

Purple Stalactites

The image below was taken this year in a tourist cave. I saw this purple tinge on the bottom right on the calcite. There was no purple lighting I this photo. My question is; why on earth is it purple ? What mineral creates this purple tinge ? this is not the first time I've seen it happen...
  11. E

A video thread on UK Caving?

Hi everyone, I thought I'd post my video on this Video and Photography Thread. I recently became an ambassador of Fenix and I wanted to create something for them that would represent how I personally feel about Caving. I hope that you resonate with it. This is the Youtube Link.
  12. E

Rare Casting Call for Documentary!

Hello everyone, I am looking for people within the caving community to discuss some subjects on camera to make my current documentary series I am producing a little more interesting. You will have the chance to discuss your ideas and factual knowledge on the subjects below. I am doing this as...