• Hello From Descent

The publication date for issue 289 is the 10th of December, meaning subscribers should receive their copies during the week leading up to that date. It is also available from caving suppliers such as Inglesport and Starless River, or from our new website

New Descent board here:

Goatchurch time trials

PeteHall

I know plenty of people must have raced from entrance to entrance in Goatchurch (often in deliberately sub-optimal equipment eg birthday suit/ no light), another regular race track must be the Drainpipe, but is there a record of the fastest times anywhere?

We saw Andy Sparrow down there today, who's best time for the drainpipe, there and back, was (many years ago) 38 seconds. My 7 year old managed it in 36 seconds, but he does have an obvious advantage in terms of size!

P4100715.JPG

Has anyone managed a sub-30 second drainpipe? And what are your best times for entrance to entrance (with or without appropriate kit)?

cap n chris

IIRC a Cambridge Uni student (I think) - female - did a one way scuttle in 9 seconds. I don't recall her name but do remember her being (a) lovely (b) tiny and (c) very very intelligent. And she's a caver.

andrewmcleod

I did the Cwm Dwr crawl from the entrance to Cwm Dwr Jama in about 6 minutes once. That could definitely be beaten.
Not that I would encourage that sort of thing in general, of course.