• Starless River- Coming to a caving hut near you!

    Any questions or comments please email us at info@starlessriver.com or contact Tony directly. Thanks!

    Click here for the thread

  • Descent QI Competition

    Our October/November issue will be Descent 300 - a major landmark, which we plan to celebrate in style!

    ...we're running a competition with great prizes!

    Click here for more info and how to enter

Qatar - Saudi Arabia

Stupot

Active member
Off to Qatar in Saudi Arabia in mid December to do some work, I have been informed that the whole
place sits on Limestone and there are some half desent caves, anyone have information on these ?

Cheers

Stu.
 

SamT

Moderator
HRock of thie site (Henry of SUSS) is currently in Jordan caving. Might be worth dropping him a PM (he has posted from there so might get see it).
 
E

emgee

Guest
SamT said:
HRock of thie site (Henry of SUSS) is currently in Jordan caving. Might be worth dropping him a PM (he has posted from there so might get see it).

Jordan is a thousand or so miles from Qatar. It's a bit like saying someone who knows the Alps can tell you where to go climbing in East Anglia. Google looks more interesting though.

 

SamT

Moderator
Alright, Alright, just trying to be helpful. roughly the same part of the globe, and with speleology in its infancy out that way, anyone who's done any research on one area - i.e. to go out there on an expe, may well know something of the neighbouring areas.

Tsk.
 
E

emgee

Guest
SamT said:
Alright, Alright, just trying to be helpful. roughly the same part of the globe, and with speleology in its infancy out that way, anyone who's done any research on one area - i.e. to go out there on an expe, may well know something of the neighbouring areas.

Tsk.

Realise you were trying to be helpful but it's a pet peeve of mine. I grew up two thirds of the way between Jordan and Qatar. They were both a long way away. Speleology can be a touchy subject in parts of the middle east by the way. Some people have good uses for their caves. Geologically the area is well mapped but mostly considered commercially confidential.

I'd tread with care. Oh yeah and my memories of Qatar were that it seemed like someplace on the moon. My dad's was 'Last place god built and never got round to finish.' But that was quite a few years ago. I suspect they've sorted something better than goatskin bags collecting water from undersea springs for the water supply by now.

 

Ouan

Member
Stupot said:
Off to Qatar in Saudi Arabia in mid December to do some work, I have been informed that the whole
place sits on Limestone and there are some half desent caves, anyone have information on these ?

Cheers

Stu.

Stu

There are caves in Qatar, I've visited one.  PM me for more details. 
I'm back out there on Tuesday.

Martin
 
Top