Author Topic: Ideas for a dissertation related to caving  (Read 10823 times)

Offline underground

• junky
Re: Ideas for a dissertation related to caving
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2011, 01:45:47 am »
Presumably Brian True-May is an active caver, then.

No, he's probably a bit racist but can't say so when challenged by the media.

Offline Tony_B

• obsessive maniac
  • SWCC member
    • Tony Baker
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2011, 11:49:46 am »
Here's a suggestion: Why are so many cavers left-handed?

What, about 25% of them?  :shrug:

From my experience - and this has no scientific basis whatsoever - the percentage of cavers who are left-handed is massively above that of the general population. I understand that around 10% of humans are naturally left-handed but I promise that if you ask around your caving friends you will be astonished at how many are 'southpaws'. In particular you will find that among 'lifelong' cavers (as opposed to say, members of university caving clubs, whose caving careers may be somewhat transient) left-handedness tends to be the norm rather than the exception.

I've long been fascinated by this and have yet to hear a convincing explanation, hence the reason I suggested it as a topic worthy of investigation by the OP.

Offline Swampy

• Outdoor & Adventure films Online
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2011, 04:21:36 pm »
Here's a suggestion: Why are so many cavers left-handed?

Are they?

Anyway, have you decided on a topic?

Sorry its been so long until Ive replied and i am overwhelmed with the amount of posts and help that I have had! So thanks alot everyone, Im going to research into a few before an option is decided. Ive been on holiday and also did my level 1 cave training and been revising for exams so I had forgot Id posted this in that time!

As for the ethnic debate thats become quite an interesting subject on this post, as much as it could be a dissertation itself, my house mate is doing his research masters on Ethnicity in the outdoors so i feel its a no go area for me.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search