Author Topic: Carlswark Dynamite series.  (Read 22098 times)

Offline AndyF

• forum hero
    • http://www.keyhole.org.uk
Carlswark Dynamite series.
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2005, 01:33:39 pm »
Thanks, but I think I'll visit Flower Pot anyway, just to see the state of it.

I'm also trying to nip out with a friend who is currently trying to buy Oxclose Mine (!)...(or rather the house that owns the entrance)....
"Life's a pitch, then you fall down one..."

Offline Pipster

• obsessive maniac
  • OCC
Re: Carlswark Dynamite series.
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2008, 03:38:03 pm »
So did anything ever happen with Flower Pot then?
::PIPSTER::

T pot 1

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2008, 10:28:49 pm »
Digging in stoney !!!!!!   MMMMMMMMMMM :down: Try the the choke at the bottom of Farnsley Lane Swallet, most southern cave in Stoney ? 86ft deep with good potential
PM for more details if interested

T pot

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2008, 08:57:20 am »
Try the the choke at the bottom of Farnsley Lane Swallet...
Especially if you like getting high on strong chemical waste  :thumbsup:
The end is where we start....

Offline danthecavingman

• forum star
  • Don't follow too close.....
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2008, 08:54:21 pm »
Hmm, still interested in this one.

I know Norman used to have a stack of concrete rings round at his - wonder if they are still there, they have been there a long time. I think that the Flower Pot entrance would be worth re-excavating. How many people would we need over a weekend to sort it? Any permissions needed Andy?

Dan.
You see that Taxus baccata.........that's Yew that is........

Offline AndyF

• forum hero
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2008, 11:25:42 pm »
Hmm, still interested in this one.

I know Norman used to have a stack of concrete rings round at his - wonder if they are still there, they have been there a long time. I think that the Flower Pot entrance would be worth re-excavating. How many people would we need over a weekend to sort it? Any permissions needed Andy?

Dan.

Apparently there is actually a landowner, though we had assumed it was the council at the time, and (in youthful ignorance) just got on and dug it.

Three of us did it over one weenend, and the fill was very solid. It would take much less time now as the fill will be looser...

It has solid walls (its a sort of short rake) Concrete rings may not fit unless they are quite narrow.

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2008, 09:11:27 am »
what about that black ribbed drainage pipe. Used to great effect at hunger hill swallet. Its perfect for lining small shafts, wont degrade.

Offline AndyF

• forum hero
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2008, 10:13:00 am »
what about that black ribbed drainage pipe. Used to great effect at hunger hill swallet. Its perfect for lining small shafts, wont degrade.

Not sure it wouldn't "squash" as the refilled choke settles as the blue drums have done, its something we didnt uderstand at the time. Just a good few tree trunks mixed in with the backfill apparently helps too.

I

Offline Hughie

• forum hero
  • SMCC & ACG (finally paid my subs)
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2008, 02:12:33 pm »

Not sure it wouldn't "squash" as the refilled choke settles as the blue drums have done, its something we didnt uderstand at the time. Just a good few tree trunks mixed in with the backfill apparently helps too.

I

The larger body sized ribbed tubes are pretty tough, and are usually double skinned for extra strength. We use them for culverting gateways. Having said that, the single skinned variant will crush - but only under huge load.
If you want prices, let me know and I'll contact our suppliers.

To be honest, the blue drums (ir they're the ones I'm thinking of) completely lose their integrity when the ends are removed.

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2008, 03:14:56 pm »

Pretty sure they'd stand up to it - you usually see them buried under huge motorway embankments etc. As hughie states - the double skinned ones are tougher.

Much much stronger than barrels as they have actually been designed to withstand a crushing load. The hunger hill swallet one goes down about 15 - 20 feet.  It also stands about a foot proud to prevent flood water from a nearby stream disappearing down it - which was a good idea I thought.

Offline AndyF

• forum hero
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2008, 04:15:07 pm »
Fair enough, I hadnt heard of the double skinned ones....

...if we could get a length it would be an easy job  Ithink.

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2008, 05:23:18 pm »

Hughie might be able to get you a price, but otherwise - I'd keep you eyes peeled as you drive around. You never know eh. Infact - I think terry worthington mentioned the other night that there was a load of roadworks nr Matlock coming to and end - and there was stacks of the stuff kicking about, might be worth having a word with someone down there, its the type of stuff where there'll undoubtedly be a few lengths or off cuts left over at the end of a job. Needs to be the big stuff though - to cater for the larger caver  :)

Offline Mark

• forum hero
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2008, 07:15:33 pm »
Needs to be the big stuff though - to cater for the larger caver  :)

Dont worry about the big stuff, if they cant get through it they aint going anywhere once they are inside anyway

Offline bubba

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2008, 07:39:13 pm »

Yes, Dynamite is pretty tight if you're biggish build. I used to go there back in the day when i was a skinny lad and had no problems, but when i went back a couple of years ago I got stuck coming back out of the first squeeze which scared the crap out of me :lol:
=:blubba:=

[ nsfw ]

Offline Pipster

• obsessive maniac
  • OCC
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2008, 09:13:14 pm »
Giz a shout if you want some help re-excavating.  ;)
::PIPSTER::

Offline Hughie

• forum hero
  • SMCC & ACG (finally paid my subs)
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2008, 10:39:44 pm »
I'll sniff out some prices from a couple of suppliers.

Have seen largish cavers free dive through the 600mm version, so I'll enquire about that sort of size. There should be some upcoming work on the Levels near me, so, as Sam says, there may be some spare bits around.

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2008, 12:34:57 pm »
Hughie might be able to get you a price, but otherwise - I'd keep you eyes peeled as you drive around. You never know eh. Infact - I think terry worthington mentioned the other night that there was a load of roadworks nr Matlock coming to and end - and there was stacks of the stuff kicking about, might be worth having a word with someone down there, its the type of stuff where there'll undoubtedly be a few lengths or off cuts left over at the end of a job. Needs to be the big stuff though - to cater for the larger caver  :)

That'll probably be at the by-pass near the new Sainsburys (at Cawdor Quarry).

I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2008, 02:09:36 pm »
600 mm sounds about right.

Im trying to find a picture of the stuff on the net. I reckon a company called Naylor Drainage are the guys that manufacture it but their website is "under construction" no pun inteded Im sure. - I know (from googling) that Naylor Ducting, do all the stuff that the highways agency use to lay cables in (purple/yellow/green etc  ~150mm).

Reckon it'll be really costly to buy - espcially in non bulk. but If you can befreind a bod at some roadworks - it might be the best way

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2008, 02:13:08 pm »

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
  • Left ukcaving by this name
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2008, 02:15:26 pm »
Whoever makes it might have sub-standard rejects that they would be glad to get rid of? I have heard of concrete pipe sections being passed on to cavers in similar circmstances. As long as those who use them accept the risk that they might not do the job intended.

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2008, 02:31:40 pm »
At work we've just (as in on thrusday!) discontinued development of our 630mm butt-fusion machine similar to this...

...so i've been investigating the test cutt-offs of pipe. However if you've ever seen a polyethylene pipe 630mm in diameter you'll know that the walls are v thick (~10% dia) meaning that they are VERY expensive and very heavy! Will let you know if i get any oportunities, but don't hold out!
The end is where we start....

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2008, 02:35:44 pm »

Rob - like the big yellow gas pipe thats been laying all over sheff for the last few years. Indeed - very very heavy.

This Rigid pipe stuff is feather weight - two people can carry a 3m length with one hand each.

Offline shotlighter

• junky
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2008, 04:33:35 pm »
At work we've just (as in on thrusday!) discontinued development of our 630mm butt-fusion machine similar to this...

...so i've been investigating the test cutt-offs of pipe. However if you've ever seen a polyethylene pipe 630mm in diameter you'll know that the walls are v thick (~10% dia) meaning that they are VERY expensive and very heavy! Will let you know if i get any oportunities, but don't hold out!
Cuts very well "wiv a chainsaw" - bit untidy buy good enough for our uses.
If you're desperate I think we still have a stock of (chainsawed) 2m lenths of blue 630mm HP watermain stuff (if it's not been nicked).
But you'd probably have to fetch if from Astbury (Cheshire).

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2008, 04:46:56 pm »
[sn-word] he said butt fusion machine [/sn-word]

Offline shotlighter

• junky
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2008, 04:50:28 pm »
[sn-word] he said butt fusion machine [/sn-word]
Listening to "Darkest Hour" as you posted Sam?

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal