I.T

H

Huw Groucutt

why do so many cavers have jobs related to IT and computers?!

cap n chris

An analytical mind is helpful for finding your way around labyrinthine complexities; also, navigating in semi-dark, small, confined spaces until late at night, exploring different avenues and generally checking out what's around the next corner means it only stands to reason that you're going to make a pretty darn good caver `cos if you can cope with all that computing malarkey you're bound to be able to cope with the underworld!
:shock:

But, hey!, it's a good question... you know something? I've been using computers since 1980 (when you had to build your own). Here's a question - does anyone who's into caving NOT work in I.T?

H

Huw Groucutt

yeah but then its also a bit more physically demanding than sitting at a chair working on a computer all day!

And i don't work in IT.....nor do i have any plans to!

bubba

Administrator
I know loads of cavers who are not into I.T. - this board gives a slightly biased view I suppose.....

After a week at the Microsoft conference in Barcelona, I never want to see a fucking computer again in my life. I'd rather be doing something meaningful !!

underground

I got into IT completely by accident- the same as caving! I can't exactly say it was my childhood dream to be an analyst, but it gives me plenty of time to think about caving :p

An evening's digging is a complete antithesis to sitting at a desk all day though and it certainly blows away the cobwebs....

J

Jonathan T

You have to have a job related to computers to be able to waste so much time posting on bulliten boards. It's the same on the RockTalk boards and a car BBS I go on. I'm not in IT but I work at a PC, as soon as that stops I'll be rejoining normal life and spending more time climbing / caving / mtbing and less time surfing the internet!

cap n chris

Jonathan T's completely right about people on computer forums being, by definition, into computers in the first place and therefore giving a skewed version of the caving population's interests.

H

Huw Groucutt

you don't exactly need to be Bill Gates to use a forum.... I was not really talking about people on this forum anyway, more the people i know from caving, the replies here merely back up my point!

J

Jonathan T

I didn't mean that you had to have an IT background to use a forum, I meant that people who work in IT or on a computer can waste time surfing the web and posting on the internet. I work a 6 on 3 off schedule, for 6 weeks I work and surf the web / post on forums and for 3 weeks I've got better things to do!

SamT

I think there are generally an enormous amount of people who's jobs are IT based these days. With heavy industry declining (gone) its what people have turned to over the last 10 years. So much so .that there is now an excess of programmers on the market.

Go on - how many friends who cave do you know who work in IT as compared with friends who dont cave.

I make it 3 cavers, 3 non cavers.

And as for people who are soliciters/accountants/engineers etc who all spend the day sat behind a screen. I'd run out of fingers.