Author Topic: Gran Canaria lava tubes  (Read 2685 times)

Offline And

• menacing presence
Gran Canaria lava tubes
« on: April 15, 2012, 11:06:09 pm »
Does anyone know if there are lava tubes on Gran Canaria that I could easily visit when I'm there? Any info would be great, please!

Offline Les W

• Hard cavin'
  • forum hero
  • Wessex Cave Club, UCET
    • Wessex Cave Club
Re: Gran Canaria lava tubes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 01:19:14 pm »
Hi,
You may be out of luck on Gran Canaria as I don't believe there are any tubes there.
The main islands for tubes are Lanzarote, Tenerife and I think La Palma.
Ed may know better but I'm not aware of any there.
I'm a very busy person

Offline Ed W

• Cheddar CC, Grwp Ogofeydd Garimpeiros, Mendip CG
  • obsessive maniac
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:40:02 pm »
And,

I've not caved on Gran Canaria, but I do know that there are some caves.   The best starting point would be to have a look at the catalogue of caves on Gran Canaria in Vulcania (The Canaries caving magazine) No.9, which is available online here; http://www.vulcania.org/revistas/Vulcania_9/Vulcania9_pp43-47.pdf

According to this the longest cave is Cueva de los Arrependitos which is a whopping 201m in length.  I also believe that some of the other listed cavities are vertical lava vents / fissures rather than lava tubes, these would require serious tackle and care to  descend safely.

If you do manage to get to have a look at a cave or two whilst you are there, it would be really great to hear what they are like and see a photo or two on here.

Size matters not, look at me Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not...

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:47:55 pm »
There are some fascinating Guanche carved caves on the island near the centre - well worth a visit.

Offline And

• menacing presence
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 11:35:54 pm »
Thanks for the info everyone. I didn't think there seemed to be a huge amount in the way of lava tubes after a Google search (in English).
The caves sound interesting though, and hopefully I'll be able to check them out. 200m long is a Sidcot Swallet, so not to be sniffed at!