Nickergrove mine

1906johns

Hello there, just a quick one really - how is access to the adit entrance gained ? is it best to go via the A623 or from church street in eyam  ?

cheers
Alex

Mark

Access usually from A623, up the Delph, adit entrance on left halfway up hillside, up fairly obvious path

Were ment to be going ere at weekend had a quick look last weekend just to comfirm its through the little gate follow the stream for abit then up a path to the left n there's a walk in hole in cliff thats 1 entrance , then 2nd is futher down the stream up another path to left to a metal lid with grill front? I think i'm right!

Mark

mark220gsiturbo1 said:
Were ment to be going ere at weekend had a quick look last weekend just to comfirm its through the little gate follow the stream for abit then up a path to the left n there's a walk in hole in cliff thats 1 entrance , then 2nd is futher down the stream up another path to left to a metal lid with grill front? I think i'm right!

Yes thats correct.

Don't no the point of the 2nd entrance with the metal lid don't go nowhere? Why as the floor been coverd at the bottom with a metal grill cover looks good down there.

JAM

I asked myself the same question, but still don't have ab answer. 
So, anybody here got an answer for the question??

matthewjc

Look harder guys, there is a thru' trip from the main shaft in the mine that exits via the grill. There was a sketch / guide to it on line a few years ago, written by a poster on here. Matt..

Pipster

matthewjc said:
Look harder guys, there is a thru' trip from the main shaft in the mine that exits via the grill. There was a sketch / guide to it on line a few years ago, written by a poster on here. Matt..
I think it was Jules Barrett who posted the sketch (about 5 years ago!), after DCA installed a pull through ring / eco-anchors on the internal shaft etc. I thought I had a copy somewhere but can't find it. Nor can I find it on this forum. :(

But the following survery and trip report might help.  :)
http://www.peakcavemonitoring.org.uk/images/stories/Stoney_Middleton_Dale/Nickergrove%20Mine.doc
http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=4554

Where abouts did you get to Mark220? Did you rig the internal shaft and swing into the lower level?

John B

Re, the metal grille in the shaft entrance. I think it was placed when the outdoor centres began to use it but may be wrong. Below the grille the shaft continues to a short level in each direction along the vein. One way is usually flooded but is blind below the water. The other way ends quickly at a forefield. 

Pipster

John B said:
Re, the metal grille in the shaft entrance. I think it was placed when the outdoor centres began to use it but may be wrong. Below the grille the shaft continues to a short level in each direction along the vein. One way is usually flooded but is blind below the water. The other way ends quickly at a forefield.
Thanks for that John - I'd always wondered why that was at the bottom of Didsbury Shaft! I'd guessed that there couldn't have been much down there but it's nice to know.

At the very end of the adit entrance, past the internal shaft and rift chamber, the level eventually reaches a run-in (unless someone has dug it out relatively recently). I'm sure that I once read that further workings could be reached beyond, until it collapsed some decades ago -  anyone know more?

I know Chesterfield CC do a fair bit in Stoney - are you going to dig it out? ;)

Gona av to go ere again. We went in the adit entrance to the shaft to the lower levels but didn't really go that far down there( was really really muddy down ere) Went back up the shaft carryed on past ere seen a shaft with water down it(is this the timbered shaft?) Anyway got to a big open area were some ladders was n followed some old kart tracks but didn't go any were. So were av we gone wrong ? It was 1st time we went ere was good muddy but good.

rocky

The way on is a short passage about half way down the internal shaft.
At the end of this passage there is a drop of about 15ft with a hanger on the wall.
We got to this point last week but,not having a spare rope, didn't fancy the free climb.

Nigelh

I agree with Matt. There's a survey out there showing the thru trip. As per previous poster, I'm certain too that it was a Jules Barrett sketch.
Here's what I remember:-
The two entrances or entrance / exit are as described above. You shouldn't have any difficulty finding them in the Delph. Rig the grill entrance first if you want, but it should be free climb-able. If you are rigging it you'll have to retrace your steps a little way to the adit entrance. Walk / stoop along the passage from the adit entrance, mind the hole(s) in the floor and you'll come to a shaft with a large, sturdy pole across it. Drop the shaft. Swing off a short way down. Crawl and stoop a bit. Rig a small internal pitch as a pull through, follow your nose, climb down a small chimney (be careful at the bottom - it opens out). Follow your nose again. Arrive at the bottom of the grill shaft, climb or prussic out.

The route finding is simple enough, anything which doesn't get you to the inner pitch and the small chimney soon go blind. You can rig the main shaft as a pull through off a DCA ring on the main adit pitch or rig a Y if you are not confident of completing the trip. If you reach the pull through lower down, you are almost there and can't really go wrong. I did this about four years ago, so don't blame me if my memory is hazy.

Have fun, it's muddy down there.

Pete K

A paper survey is certainly available from Hitch N hike, that is where I got mine a few years back when I was doing my Level 2. Caving Supplies probably have it too.

JB

Pipster said:
I think it was Jules Barrett who posted the sketch (about 5 years ago!), after DCA installed a pull through ring / eco-anchors on the internal shaft etc.

Just saw this. I don't know what information is in the new edition of Caves of the Peak District - I haven't got one handy. I found a copy of this sketch in some stuff earlier this week though. If anyone wants me to post a copy of it online let us know on here and I'll sort.

Cheers,

Jules.

bograt

Please be aware that a couple of the shafts up the Delph have been Grilled over because this is SSSI bat country!. Please do not disturb our little furry allies!.