😈Chamber of Horrors😈

EwanCameron

Hi All

As we are smashing out the weeks off 🔥sunshine🔥 now have any of the brave lads/ladies of the caving community in the peaks been into the 😵Chamber Of Horrors😵 yet in ❤2013❤

Been "on my list" for a bit now but was really looking for people that have done it already to come with me

Is it really as bad as people make out ?

Yours
Ewan - Club Caver

Rob

EwanCameron said:
...Is it really as bad as people make out ? ...
Anything like this is subjective.

I'd say that if you're comfortable in water, it's really not bad.

And i'm sure water levels are v low at the moment. I've been through in low water, in a wetsuit, and it didn't phase me at all. But in high water, in a furry suit, i once got it wrong and felt like i was about to die!  (y)

Nigelh

No, it's not as bad as it used to be. IF:-

a) the canoe hasn't been holed.
b) a previous party hasn't fouled up the blue rope on the pulley system.

Take your own dinghy just in case.

Think Ewan is refering to the connection between Oxlow Cavern and Giants Hole (Derbyshire)
Rather than the last flooded chamber in Croesor before popping through into Rhosydd (North Wales)

bograt

I was wondering how you'd get a canoe in there! :eek:.

I've been through a few times in the dim and distant past and never found it too intimidating (I was slimmer in those days :)), although one of my larger colleagues did abort. IIRC the smallest part is (was) at the Oxlow end so if you do it from that direction you know that if you get into it you are through!, rigging both ends takes some organising, don't "pull through" Oxlow in case you chicken it and need to come out that way, Garlands is free - climbable with the aid of a sling or two for the more capable but it is better to arrange to have it rigged.

EwanCameron

Nigelh said:
No, it's not as bad as it used to be. IF:-

a) the canoe hasn't been holed.
b) a previous party hasn't fouled up the blue rope on the pulley system.

Take your own dinghy just in case.

That's a good trip as well thanks for the info mats may well get back there this summer as well

pwhole

Just out of interest, how tight are these squeezes? I've never been, and would be interested to know.

For example, I can get through all the squeezes from Flowerpot entrance/Dynamite Series in Carlswark without getting stuck, and the tight bit in Agony Crawl in Bagshaw too. Or the Pearly Gates crawl in EDH cave. I'm not fat, but I'm not Rob-tiny either so just to get a relative idea? Without listing every squeeze I can think of, I'd take a guess at about 9 inches is the smallest I can comfortably fit through without SRT kit on? Although I wouldn't fancy a nine-inch high crawl continuously for too long...

bograt

Never took a tape measure down there but I should think if you can get from Flower Pot to Eyam Dale Shaft you shouldn't have a problem. :)

Rob

Yup i agree. Flower Pot is smaller. I'm sure you'll have no problems with size pwhole.

The only tightish bit is miles away from the main ducks, very close to Pilgrim's Way. When i've been through this has been partially filled with gravel so needs digging out a bit each time. Unfortunately here is also quite wet, making it slightly unpleasant, and dangerous if you get stuck face down!

bograt

When I was in my prime, a mate of mine was emigrating to Canada and wanted to do a "Derbyshire Classic" before he went, so we did the Maskhill - Giants through trip, I never dreamt that forty years later I would be debating the link - up !!. :blink:

I still say if in doubt start at the Oxlow end, after that squeeze everything gets easier, (if you can handle a bit of water). :)

dunc

You're all a bunch of gits... For years I've considered the CoH to be some miserable, tight, desperate sh..hole that I would see no reason whatsoever in visiting. But now I read it being less tight than Flower-Dynamite (which I've done) and just a case of dealing with the water, damn you, I might have to reconsider a visit now!!  :mad:

;) (y)

Tangent_tracker

Did you folks do this in the end?? I really want to have a crack at some point when I have lost a bit more weight and increased my fitness... What would you say is a good gauge then, Flower Pot to Eyam Dale?

mr conners

Maybe Crimbo pipe in Knotlow? I have heard from people who have done Crimbo thats its more serious than COH. But I cant gauge as I haven't done COH, however crimbo wasn't exactly fun, but then these things never are.

Have a bash and see how it goes, might be a bit wet at the moment though. Apparently a wet-suit is a must, unless your Groundhog, who did it in woollies about 100 years ago.  :eek:

bograt

Crimbo is always wetter than COH, and the tight bits are different angles, not much of a comparison really.