Information on Lava Tubes in the Auvergne, France

Bob Mehew

I am about to depart on a holiday in the Auvergne and one of the guide books I am consulting (Auverggne by P Cattermole, Classic Geology in Europe Series No 2) makes references to several lava tubes.  I have one reference to Maison de la Pierre by Volvic but this appears to be a stone mine. The second is on the south east flanks of the Grand Sarcoui near Orcines for which there is a photo of the entrance on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmanuel-lattes/4404316101/# .  The third in on the eastern flanks of Pay de Montchal near Murol for which I can find no information on the web.

Does anyone have any english text information on these or other lava tubes in the Auvergne?

Bob Mehew

Nothing of significance and definitely no lava tubes.  I did see one exposure of a lava which pointed to a potential for lava tubes to be formed and an interesting entrance to a simple chamber formed by a steam explosion within an aa (clinker) flow.  There are a range of dug passages around the area now used for activities like cheese stores.  I need to find some time to write up what little I did see, hopefully sometime in 2014!