Author Topic: Concreting Drws Cefn  (Read 192428 times)

Offline Rhys

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • SWCC, RFDCC
Re: Concreting Drws Cefn
« Reply #1175 on: October 21, 2017, 06:40:55 pm »
I intend to write a summary very shortly of recent events at Draenen for the next BCA newsletter, including the current state of of moves to block Drws and emerging awareness of the state of the law, as discussed above.

Please would someone - preferably from PDCMG - who disagrees with Nig and Stuart contact me so I can quote their view?

Either PM me, put up a post, or send me an email. Fleur Loveridge and Chris Densham both have my email address.

Otherwise my report is, inevitably, going to look a little one sided. It would be helpful if someone could get back to me by the end of Monday.

Many thanks.

David

I would advise contacting PDCMG directly for input rather than relying on a post here.

Rhys

Offline Disgusted from Cornwall.

• menacing presence
  • CBC Hacksaw Officer
« Reply #1176 on: October 21, 2017, 06:55:01 pm »
This does sound like the very worst soft of nonsense imaginable.

Is it about caving, or is it about power?

Offline Greg Jones

• forum star
  • GSS
« Reply #1177 on: October 21, 2017, 07:18:15 pm »
We all know it has nothing to do with caving. >:(
Renegade!

Offline Stuart France

• addict
« Reply #1178 on: October 21, 2017, 07:44:26 pm »
Last Sunday I listened for many hours to mainly one person prattling on in a torrent of words about blocking up Drws Cefn, the widening of Last Sandwich, some unstable boulders in Midwinter Chambers getting sorted out that had not had the consent of PDCMG to move:  this that and the other that offends him.

But not everyone now on the PDCMG is in favour of blocking Drws Cefn.  There were a few changes of personnel at the election meeting last Sunday, and more retirements than just Fleur’s.

I do hope those of the new people joining the PDCMG plus those of the remaining people who are against the blocking up of cave entrances will come together in private and end this nonsense where one lot of cavers are trying by all means they can muster to prevent cavers in general from going caving throughout the biggest cave in Wales, encouraging responsible exploration and discovery.  We need the dawn of a new era.

It is perhaps a bit optimistic to think that the ‘alternative viewpoint’ within PDCMG will get their act together by Monday and BCA’s October newsletter deadline, so let’s not be harsh on them collectively.  We're also going to air this in Cambrian Caving Council's October newsletter.

It will be best settled by an outbreak of common sense and goodwill, not by imposing a solution through an enforcement action against PDCMG later in court.  PDCMG is on the wrong side of what is now national policy that has been supported by an overwhelming majority of cavers.  PDCMG is long overdue a huge re-think.

It’s also taken a very long time, but the BCA has finally decided ‘to believe that CROW applies to caving and to promote the widespread acceptance of this idea’.  Or words to that effect.  Minutes of their October council meeting are eagerly awaited.

Offline Disgusted from Cornwall.

• menacing presence
  • CBC Hacksaw Officer
« Reply #1179 on: October 21, 2017, 07:51:15 pm »
I find it quite incredible how "going down a hole" and everyone being of a similar mindset can result in such non-hole-related-tittle-tattle.

I remember my caving club days and the people were a good bunch, but mention silly subjects and they all turn on each other.

Offline David Rose

• forum star
« Reply #1180 on: October 21, 2017, 10:59:41 pm »
Rhys, I would normally agree with you, but the thing is, I don't know who in PDCMG to contact. Fleur has resigned. Chris Densham has not replied to an email I sent him days ago. Maybe he is away. Would you have any suggestions?

Offline Rhys

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • SWCC, RFDCC
« Reply #1181 on: October 22, 2017, 11:02:12 am »
I can't really suggest anyone. My finger's not on the pulse with activities up there, I'm afraid. I'm sure a man of your means and connections can find a suitable source!

Offline Stuart France

• addict
« Reply #1182 on: October 22, 2017, 09:52:41 pm »
The PDCMG elections were only last Sunday so it is understandable there are no draft minutes on their website yet though I understand they have been written up already by the minute-taker for that meeting (Richard Hill) in the absence of Fleur.

There were 11 voting clubs reps present. The votes cast were as follows:

Secretary.  Sue Mabbett (7), Richard Dewsnap (4), abstentions (0)
Treasurer. Spencer Drew (6), Mat Terry (3), abstentions (2)
Permit Secretary.  Dan Thorne – not contested
Conservation Officer.  Josh White (5), Tom Williams (5), abstentions (1)
Josh was elected on the Chairman’s casting vote
Survey Secretary.  Tarquin Wilton-Jones (3), John Stevens (7), abstentions (1)
Survey Recorder.  No candidates.  Post to be abolished.
Biology Officer.  Peter Smith – not contested
Geology Officer. Andy Farrant – not contested
Fixed Aids Officer. Tom Williams – not contested
Chairman. Les Williams - not contested

David, take your pick of the above.  I would suggest Josh if the main argument for a single entrance policy remains cave conservation, but I think this has changed to the landowner desiring one entrance on his private land and none on the CROW/Common land, in which case Sue might best advise you.  It’s not appropriate to ask the club reps as they are not in executive roles.