Author Topic: BCA 'referendum' on CRoW  (Read 75364 times)

Offline Ouan

• addict
    • Thailand Caves
Re: BCA 'referendum' on CRoW
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2014, 03:22:57 pm »

BCA will be sending the ballot papers to the address they have for each individual member in their records....

What about CIMS/DIMS who live overseas?
Would this be this the caving equivalent of the West Lothian Question?

Offline Bob Mehew

• forum hero
  • breaking knots is fun
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2014, 06:02:05 pm »
I will include for every member a copy of the independently produced information leaflet on CRoW available at Hidden Earth and, for the benefit of clubs, I shall also include the web address where this can be downloaded.

Any chance you could put that link on here as well Jenny? Googling it doesn't produce anything.
http://tinyurl.com/pro-CRoW-caving-01 is the link.  Within the document is another link to all of the relevant documentation so far produced including the 'Instructions' and the reference material given to the the barrister, as announced in the recent edition of Descent.   Happy reading.

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
  • UBSS, Speleo-Club de Perigueux, GSG, SUI
    • UBSS
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2014, 06:07:38 pm »
But Bob, that's merely 'stuff' about your opinions and those of your confrère's. There is nothing in there about what might happen in practice, on the ground, if you were - unlikely as it is - to get your way on this. Nothing on there actually from EN about how they might react. Nothing from DEFRA. Nothing from landowners.

Nothing of real use at all, really.
Caving is for Life not just for Christmas

Offline Bob Mehew

• forum hero
  • breaking knots is fun
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2014, 06:16:21 pm »
But Bob, that's merely 'stuff' about your opinions and those of your confrère's. There is nothing in there about what might happen in practice, on the ground, if you were - unlikely as it is - to get your way on this. Nothing on there actually from EN about how they might react. Nothing from DEFRA. Nothing from landowners.

It answers the question which was asked, not your original question.  Although I have answers for most of the points you make, I am seeking advice on one outstanding point.  If I don't get it soonish, I will post the rest.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2014, 07:33:44 pm »
Moderator Comment 2nd intervention on the same thread in the same day to remove personal sniping. Keep on topic or find yourself on moderated status.

Offline damian

• forum hero
  • Hades CC, YSS
    • Hades Caving Club
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2014, 07:48:27 pm »
What about CIMS/DIMS who live overseas? Would this be this the caving equivalent of the West Lothian Question?
I suspect this was a tongue-in-cheek question, but in case it was serious, ALL BCA members, regardless of where they live, will be posted a ballot paper. Obviously those who live overseas will have a shorter timescale for returns, but I guess that's to be expected.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2014, 10:37:36 pm »
How much £££ is it costing to find out that the answer is yes?

Offline RobinGriffiths

• junky
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2014, 10:44:40 pm »

Well, it is a once in a generation issue. To coin a (recently oft used) phrase..

And what further devolutionary concessions are offered in the case of a No vote?  Oh, none!

Offline Cookie

• forum hero
  • WCC, Dark Places, ChCC, BEC, CSS
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2014, 01:21:19 pm »

Well North of £3000 and similar for the follow-up ballot.  :down:
Dave Cooke. BCA: IT Working Party Convenor, Web Services

Offline Bottlebank

• forum hero
    • Power Tool Batteries
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2014, 02:14:20 pm »

Surely you could half that by having both ballots in one go - i.e. Question 1 - are you against/in favour and Question 2, in the event of the vote in question 1 going in favour would you agree to the following changes?

I'd have thought the BCA could spend the money in better ways, and whilst in principle I'm in favour of a ballot, given the cost and that it seems there is little chance of Defra and NE changing their view it does seem pretty pointless.

Why not wait and see how the canoeists get on?

Drill and Power Tool Batteries - www.power-tool-battery.co.uk
Laptop spares and repairs - www.laptopbits.co.uk

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
  • Left ukcaving by this name
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2014, 02:44:37 pm »

That money could have been spent investigating an efficient and virtually free online alternative to letters and stamps, which is what I presume this money is being used for.

Offline estelle

• obsessive maniac
  • GSG & BEC - Everything to Excess!
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2014, 02:54:17 pm »
Just a thought as the BCA annual renewal is only just over a couple of months away - would it be more sense to wait until after then and use the renewal to ensure that the BCA has as many email addresses as possible and up to date contact details for those not on email in order to do some sort of mainly online process rather than spending £3k+ on a postal ballot?
What you say about me says more about you than it does about me.

Offline kdxn

• menacing presence
  • BPC, CPC
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2014, 02:57:49 pm »
That kind of money would be better spent signing up to an electronic voting system and then all BCA members could vote on AGM issues and not just those with the money and time to attend the AGM.

Offline Bottlebank

• forum hero
    • Power Tool Batteries
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2014, 02:59:28 pm »
That kind of money would be better spent signing up to an electronic voting system and then all BCA members could vote on AGM issues and not just those with the money and time to attend the AGM.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2014, 02:59:55 pm »
The reason "not everyone has an email address or goes online" doesn't work, before anyone brings it up. Of our 130-ish club members, only three actually need things posted to them.

Offline Bottlebank

• forum hero
    • Power Tool Batteries
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2014, 03:06:32 pm »
The reason "not everyone has an email address or goes online" doesn't work, before anyone brings it up. Of our 130-ish club members, only three actually need things posted to them.

I agree. At the very least an online registration system where you can opt in and vote would minimise postage.

Online Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
  • Peak Instruction, DCMC, DCA, PICA, TSG, DCRO
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2014, 03:10:40 pm »
Now £3k sounds a lot to me personally but I'm certain that the BCA can afford to do this. Not everyone has an email address or wishes to correspond electronically. It would probably take years to get the membership details of everyone checked and updated to include an email address. To change the way cavers vote at AGM's to an online ballot would be progressive. It would however, probably require it's own postal ballot first.

I for one am pleased that my representative body is making the effort to seek the opinion of it's members and, although there is a cost involved, I support the ballot. This is an exceptional circumstance that requires an abnormal response. Once the direction of the wind is known then the decision making process can go back to BCA AGM and committees etc..

As for rolling the 2 ballots to one, I see why this makes financial sense but it would be a bit presumptuous to have a follow on 'yes' question and no 'no' question. Would there be a follow up to a 'no' majority vote?

The situation with the canoeists (and all river users) is barely comparable on the surface. Anyone with knowledge of this area knows that the right to navigate inland waters was enshrined in Magna Carta and has not been removed save for a few places. They have a law on their side and an opposition with a good PR campaign and money, they are not seeking a clarification of the law like we are. This is a poor comparison.

Well done the BCA, don't let the moaning get you down!
Come on the rest of you, surely (and hopefully) a confirmation of greater freedoms is worth the effort?

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2014, 03:15:59 pm »
I am not moaning. Making observations and thinking of a better method for the future is not moaning. Also, spending a bit of time making it more efficient and more likely to elicit a reply (online methods tend to get better responses than posted paper ones), saves the money for something else, equally worthwhile. What difference does a few weeks or months make either way?

Online Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2014, 03:20:02 pm »
Sorry Peter, I'm not really free to get into a debate, I just wanted to put a positive post up on UKCaving for a change.

As for waiting a few weeks or months - I suspect that would play exactly into the hands of one of the sides in this debate.
One word: Momentum.

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
    • UBSS
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2014, 03:30:10 pm »
As for waiting a few weeks or months - I suspect that would play exactly into the hands of one of the sides in this debate.
One word: Momentum.

I have already been criticised on this, or a similar point, upthread, but it really is nonsense. This legislation has been in place for 14 years. So why will a few weeks either way make any difference to how a process might go?

It really does sound more to me like the other side of this debate are worried that too much information in the hands of the membership might go against them.

Why the rush?

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2014, 03:34:01 pm »
Well, I think being accused of moaning does not fit into the category of a 100 percent "positive post". Of course it's good that members' views are being sought.  :shrug:

One thing I don't think is clever is undue haste. It isn't urgent. We aren't all going to have our boots and helmets confiscated if we don't do it immediately. I shall still be caving with or without this process getting underway in the coming days.

Online Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2014, 03:39:52 pm »
Some quality UKCaving word twisting.
Never said we need to rush things.
Never accused anyone personally of moaning (the lady doth protest too much...), just the overall tone of the topic (and frankly the site recently)
Stuff it, shall save my input for the vote.

Offline Bottlebank

• forum hero
    • Power Tool Batteries
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2014, 04:15:09 pm »

As for rolling the 2 ballots to one, I see why this makes financial sense but it would be a bit presumptuous to have a follow on 'yes' question and no 'no' question. Would there be a follow up to a 'no' majority vote?

The situation with the canoeists (and all river users) is barely comparable on the surface. Anyone with knowledge of this area knows that the right to navigate inland waters was enshrined in Magna Carta and has not been removed save for a few places. They have a law on their side and an opposition with a good PR campaign and money, they are not seeking a clarification of the law like we are. This is a poor comparison.

Two ballots into one isn't presumptuous. Given that:

2) The ballot paper will be accompanied by a summary of how BCA will proceed if the overall answer is "yes" and how it shall proceed if the answer is "no". It will also encourage members to research the issue as fully as they can and provide a link to the Act itself, but nothing else.

It's cheaper. It's a simple "if this then what" question. It may also get a better response, people wouldn't have to vote twice.

With all the canoeists PR and a campaign which has lasted many years and probably cost many thousands they still haven't persuaded the powers that be - that's the comparison. Until someone comes up with a better one it's the closest we have to an indication of how this may go.

Let's not forget if the result of the ballot is yes the BCA could be embarking on an equally long, expensive and unproductive campaign. Personally I think they have better things to do. Has anyone considered the effect of this on-going access negotiations for example?

And I agree, there does seem to be an unseemly rush but I'm inclined to feel that that's because those in favour are concerned that the initial easy sell of "right of access for all" which sounds great on the face of it will be a lot harder once people start to think in depth about what it really means.

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
    • UBSS
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2014, 04:22:24 pm »
With all the canoeists PR and a campaign which has lasted many years and probably cost many thousands they still haven't persuaded the powers that be - that's the comparison. Until someone comes up with a better one it's the closest we have to an indication of how this may go.

For sure. And there are many more of them, with better PR than we'll ever have.

Let's not forget if the result of the ballot is yes the BCA could be embarking on an equally long, expensive and unproductive campaign. Personally I think they have better things to do. Has anyone considered the effect of this on-going access negotiations for example?

Shh, don't confuse 'em!

And I agree, there does seem to be an unseemly rush but I'm inclined to feel that that's because those in favour are concerned that the initial easy sell of "right of access for all" which sounds great on the face of it will be a lot harder once people start to think in depth about what it really means.

Quite right, people really do need to think through all the consequences of their actions.

As someone who negotiates with landowners, I am really not looking forward to explaining the proposed constitutional change to them. I cannot see that going well, at all.

Online Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2014, 04:37:25 pm »
I have read everything that is available on the subject and will certainly be voting in favour of a greater freedom of access to our caves. The £3K cost of a referendum is not that expensive in the scheme of things and I'm sure the powers that be will be looking at the pros and cons of the various methods of carrying it out and it will take as long as it takes. I'm happy to go with whatever they come up with. As Pete K says, 'This is an exceptional circumstance that requires an abnormal response'.  I don't think anyone on the 'yes' side is worried, as Graham suggests, about the available information going against them.   

If Graham is not looking forward to explaining the proposed constitutional changes to the landowners, then maybe someone else should take up that challenge.

One of the outcomes of a 'yes' vote could be that we finally get rid of the ridiculous requirement for everyone to hold insurance cover. Lets face it, its most unlikely anyone will ever make a claim and if they did make a claim its most likely the insurance company would try and wriggle out of paying (that is, after all, how they make their money) and whatever happens here will certainly result in the insurance premiums for the future being unaffordable.

The likely outcome of a 'no' vote would be that those who are so inclined would just go down the affected caves anyway without a permit as they have been doing for some time. 

I'm sure Graham and his followers will be there to keep an eye on how we look after the conservation issues that he rightly has concerns over. He probably won't be happy with the outcome but you can't please all the people all the time.

Cheers,

Mark Wright