Author Topic: Rescue in Thailand  (Read 18562 times)

Online Benfool

• obsessive maniac
Re: Rescue in Thailand
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2018, 12:33:08 pm »
At 30m the pressure will be 4 bar, meaning you will consume 4 times as much gas as on the surface.

30m is usually considered the limit of recreational diving, anything deeper being seen as technical.

Online SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2018, 12:47:36 pm »

I've not picked up anywhere that any of the dives are to -30m depth.  That would be incredibly serious for all divers involving decompression stops etc, which there have been no mention of.
I think -5 meters is something I saw mentioned somewhere.  Perhaps one of the flooded sections is 30m long. All pure speculation of course.

30m is usually considered the limit of recreational diving, anything deeper being seen as technical.

Yes - in open water.  ALL cave diving not matter the depth, should be considered as [very] technical.

Online RichardB1983

• addict
  • DCC
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2018, 12:53:27 pm »
Just confirmed on the Navy seal page that all 12 boys + coach are out of the cave and safe!

Offline T pot 2

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2018, 01:02:20 pm »
What a great result that the boys and coach are all out. A huge raft of congratulations for the bravery of all that made this possible. We must also not forget the bravery of the man that gave his all at his cost, my heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and relatives.
T

Offline The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2018, 01:04:52 pm »
Unlikely to be a decompression penalty at relatively shallow depths. BSAC "recreational" diving "allows" diving to 50m with a deco penalty. PADI usually allows depths to 30m or less and advises keeping within " no stop " times. In the old days our air diving limit was 70m but that often resulted in narcosis of some form. I have been around 80m on air but only because I forgot to switch to "bottom " gas which in my case was usually 14/33 heliar. Thats %14 O2 and %33 helium. A mathematically arrived at form of Trimix. This sort of exercise for trained divers will be extremely tiring considering the physical and psychological stress. A rebreather will be more compact and economical but not as robust and deployable as open circuit. One problem seemed to be that Thai cylinders still favoured the old A clamp fitting whilst in the UK we now use DIN. You can get convertors for that.

Online SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2018, 01:28:56 pm »
Well, whatever the ins and the outs of the dives,  as T-pot says, massive contgrats to all those involved.  Proper heros.   :beer2:

I do hope the boys are well enough and get to go to the world cup final as fifa have promised

https://www.news18.com/news/sports/fifa-boss-invites-thai-cave-boys-to-world-cup-final-1803179.html

Offline alastairgott

• forum hero
  • It's Therion Month.
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2018, 02:08:30 pm »
Got to love it when a dive magazine gets the names the wrong way round.

http://divemagazine.co.uk/skills/8150-success-for-thai-cave-rescue-mission

"John Volanthen, left, and Rick Stanton during the rescue in Thailand"
Scraps and Maps, Scraps and Maps, Squawk, pretty polly...

Online RichardB1983

• addict
  • DCC
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2018, 02:50:30 pm »
Well, whatever the ins and the outs of the dives,  as T-pot says, massive contgrats to all those involved.  Proper heros.   :beer2:

I do hope the boys are well enough and get to go to the world cup final as fifa have promised

https://www.news18.com/news/sports/fifa-boss-invites-thai-cave-boys-to-world-cup-final-1803179.html

BBC news website said they are likely to be in hospital all week - but a big-screen was being brought in so they can watch the final together. Apparently Man United have invited them to Old Trafford next season

Offline Ian Ball

• forum star
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2018, 03:20:05 pm »
I should have known not to trust the Daily Mail.

Well done all involved, well done.

Online SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2018, 03:23:26 pm »
I should have known not to trust the Daily Mail.

Well done all involved, well done.

If only they had a very experienced caver journo working for them,   ::)

Offline Joel Corrigan

• obsessive maniac
    • Skytek Ltd
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2018, 05:30:56 pm »
Ozzy Man discusses the rescue on his Youtube channel & it's definitely worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JP-hhtb2UY&feature=youtu.be

Offline phizz4

• regular
« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2018, 05:46:33 pm »
Absolutely brilliant. And I'm sure that these heroes will quietly, without publicity, go back to their day jobs and pursuits without any fuss or drama, while certain overpaid prima donnas will grace the pages of our national newspapers for days or weeks to come.

Offline Tricky Dicky

« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2018, 10:56:21 am »

Interesting Australian documentary on the rescue

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2018, 12:38:26 pm »
Excellent.

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2018, 02:07:42 pm »
I realised the other day that the rescue system was pioneered by the CDG, more or less, in Bristol University swimming bath back in the 80's but was never used in a rescue until now. I am willing to be contradicted but the concept of full face mask (probably still something like a Kirby Morgan) with feed from a separate bottle and divers fore and aft was what we trialled back then.

Offline andybrooks

• regular
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2018, 06:33:17 pm »
I remember there was an apparatus using Kirby Morgan BandMask back when I was active around 1970.  A Google search for "CDG sump rescue apparatus" turns up several references from 1960 onwards.

Offline Jenny P

• forum star
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2018, 07:54:46 pm »

Interesting Australian documentary on the rescue

Awesome !

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2018, 09:02:05 am »
I remember there was an apparatus using Kirby Morgan BandMask back when I was active around 1970.  A Google search for "CDG sump rescue apparatus" turns up several references from 1960 onwards.
Yup, I had a band mask stuck on me. Prior to that the full face mask concept was using a Normalair system. They used to have factory in my home town of Chard and were a subsidiary of Westlands.

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2018, 09:04:44 am »
I did get to use KM in the sea a few years later when we had a diving docs meeting at Exmouth. I remember jumping off the pier into the estuary and finding all rather unpleasand as I couldn't see sans spectacles, the system sprayed water at me to maintain humidity, and I certainly didn't like not having a mouth piece to breathe through.