Excellent article on Thai rescue

David Rose

My colleague Nick Craven wrote this piece in the Mail on Sunday.

It's pretty good:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5954605/British-diver-heroes-reveal-fears-Thai-cave-rescue-getting-lost-underwater-boys-bravery.html

yrammy

I have read dozens and agree this is good. I never thought I would say that about a Daily Mail piece!

mrodoc

It is helped by the jounalist actually being able to talk to the divers themselves. Makes it all clearer. I must say having been strapped in a stretcher but  just in a swimming pool with a Kirby Morgan on it is frightening. The CDG were trialling this rescue technique when I joined the CDG  in 1980. The first cave trial also ended in a near disaster but valuable lessons were learnt although this, as far as I am aware, is the first time the technique has been used in a genuine rescue situation.  At the time of the pool trial  I felt complete loss of control. You have to have great trust in your rescuers.  They did a superb job in just about the worse conditions to conduct such a rescue.  I think the Mendip contingent might have had an advantage as some of the sumps here replicate those conditions plus they are, of course, cold!

rhychydwr1

More on the Thai Rescue

In the latest issue of Soldier [magazine] August 2018 pp 22-23 LCpl Connor Roe (REME) writes ?It was going to take a miracle to get them out?