Author Topic: Vernon Unsworth to sue Elon Musk - official  (Read 1226 times)

Offline David Rose

• forum star

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
Re: Vernon Unsworth to sue Elon Musk - official
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 09:09:21 pm »
Only 57 grand, that's hardly pocket change (way less than 1% of his net worth)...

Offline ZombieCake

• junky
  • I like Witches
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 11:22:17 pm »
I guess (and it a speculative guess) it shows that it is a point of principle and not unbridled greed, as for example as shown by USA inhabitants suing burger joints for daring sell them something outrageous as hot coffee.  Defending an action would be expensive even if was for only a dollar.

Offline andybrooks

• regular
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 01:06:21 am »
The punitive damages, if awarded, are likely to be a much larger amount.

Offline NewStuff

• Vocal proponent of Open Access
  • forum star
  • www.dddwhcc.com
    • Deep Dark Dirty WetHoles
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 06:41:54 am »
USA inhabitants suing burger joints for daring sell them something outrageous as hot coffee.

The "hot coffee" one, while sounding silly and often used as an indicator of a litigious culture, was actually horrific. It wasn't just hot, it was superheated, full on 3rd degree burns, skin removal, stuff. Google at your own risk, the pictures are nasty.

As said, Punitive damages are going to be the big number, irrespective of where the suit is.
Permission? Wassat den?

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:39:45 am »
I guess (and it a speculative guess) it shows that it is a point of principle and not unbridled greed, as for example as shown by USA inhabitants suing burger joints for daring sell them something outrageous as hot coffee.  Defending an action would be expensive even if was for only a dollar.

Off topic, but I feel I have to correct this faliciy made up by MacDonaldz
That was made up by the company itself to save face. She actually received extensive burns over her body as the coffee was incorrectly heated to around 100C! So she sued because she was effectively disabled.

See below for more information:

Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline martinr

• forum hero
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 11:57:43 am »
Quote from: The Guardian / Associated Press Sat 11 May 2019
Elon Musk faces trial after calling British diver a paedophile

LA court rejects Telsa chief’s attempt to dismiss Vernon Unsworth’s defamation lawsuit

judge in Los Angeles sets 22 October trial date

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/may/11/elon-musk-faces-trial-after-calling-british-diver-a-paedophile