• The 6th and final winning ticket number is 558

    Check your ticket - if you won, claim your prize!

    The sixth prize to be drawn is the Mountain Equipment Lhotse Goretex Jacket

    Click here to claim

  • Welcome to our new forum members!

    Stay with us after the competition is over.

    Don't drift away to only using the billionaire techbro platforms. UKC is so much more than winning a prize! 20+ years of combined caver knowledge. UKC - the cavers' online community.

    Click here for more

Mulu article in National Geographic

David Rose

Well-known member
National Geographic has published an article about Mulu.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2019/03/exploring-a-massive-cave-labyrinth-hidden-under-borneo/?fbclid=IwAR2SxPCEMloQ9XdMkvAI3iH13yRfQGFGeoferv1ByiPX-3Vsf9MAbIj7hAc

It would be invidious of me to comment on its contents here, since I was on the expedition (2017) and told shortly before I departed for Borneo that I was going to write the words to accompany the (excellent) photos by Carsten Peter, but then informed they had decided to send a staff writer who was not a caver. Others will form a view.
 
The author was very interested in Andy's tights...

Not a bad read, I always find it a shame with things like this that it is impossible to perceive how a non-caver would react to it.
 
I wondered if Elon Musk's new AI fake text generator https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/feb/14/elon-musk-backed-ai-writes-convincing-news-fiction had been let loose, but concluded that would have been less inconsistent with usage (cavers in text, but a spelunker make an unwelcome appearance in a caption) and cultural references (Wembley Stadium versus Abraham Lincoln and the Statue of Liberty), and would at least have got its facts right (the first Mulu expedition was in 1978, not 1979, Not to mention how many cavers were there, whether caving was a 'relatively young' sport then, and whether Malaysia (or more to the point Sarawak) was then 'recently' independent). etc.
Nice pictures though.
 
Back
Top