Small but fun mine level near High Tor

DanHolme

Evening all,

Just got back from a short trip into a little mine level by the Climber's Path on High Tor, more or less opposite the car park with Youd's Level in it. Not far from the railway line. We spotted the entrance a couple of weeks ago and a mate & I thought we'd have a look, expecting not very much. Turns out to be quite a long, loose level, quite high in places, with a crawl under a big pile of deads and then a couple of digs going on at the end. Does anyone know if this mine has a name? There was a side chamber with lots of huge calcite crystals, and a lot of soot, which goes on through a tight crawl. It's a nice little spot and I'd like to find out more. I can't seem to load a picture of the entrance but it's to the right as you come down from High Tor, there's a path leading to it, and the entrance is just over a foot high and three wide.

Boy Engineer

Is the entrance down near river level (e.g. near the riverside path) or higher up? Do you drop down into the entrance?

As I noted in the post cited by Yrammy, this level is Raddle Hole Mine which I dug open, along with Lynn Willies, in 1976. A few years ago, there was a determined dig there by the late John Beck and others in the draughting collapse on the rake but it had to be abandoned because of instability.
I have not been able to find any other openings on recent searches.