Author Topic: Lincolnshire Limestone  (Read 553 times)

Offline Tseralo

• player
  • TSG
    • louisemcmahon.co.uk
Lincolnshire Limestone
« on: June 10, 2019, 08:16:09 pm »
Does anyone know of any caves in the Lincolnshire limestone?

Having looked at the BGS 50k data there is a broken band of limestone all the way from Scunthorpe to Stamford. Yet I can't find any reference to any caves in that area the closest is around Worksop but that is in a separate band to the west.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
    • Caving Routes in the Northern Dales
Re: Lincolnshire Limestone
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 08:42:27 pm »
Does anyone know of any caves in the Lincolnshire limestone?

Having looked at the BGS 50k data there is a broken band of limestone all the way from Scunthorpe to Stamford. Yet I can't find any reference to any caves in that area the closest is around Worksop but that is in a separate band to the west.

It's not an area I am familiar with, but there is a good paper on the limestone and its hydrology here.

Offline Canary

• regular
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 08:50:44 pm »
The magnesian limestone? Its mainly Dolomite if i remember.

Offline Andy Farrant

• addict
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 08:59:50 pm »
The Lincolnshire limestone is of Jurassic age, and there is plenty of karst, with many stream sinks, plus some pretty big springs and rapid flow times in the area between Grantham and Bourne. You can see one of the stream sinks from the East Coast main line. Tim Atkinson ran an excellent BCRA field trip to the area in 2013, and again following a karst hydrogeology conference at Birmingham a few years ago. The field guide is here:

http://nora.nerc.ac.uk/id/eprint/511288/1/KG%40B%202015%20Jurassic%20field%20guide.pdf

No major cave systems as yet, but had this been Mendip...