Ashford (Rookery) Black Marble Mine

LarryFatcat

I have a permit for this in a few weeks. Does anyone have a survey or decent description or even some sensible tips?

Jenny P

LarryFatcat said:
I have a permit for this in a few weeks. Does anyone have a survey or decent description or even some sensible tips?

There always used to be a survey sent out with the permit from DCA.  I'm assuming this hasn't happened this time?  Alternative place to check would be the DCA Cave Registry site, via www.thedca.org.uk

AR

There's a much better survey now published in Mining History Vol. 20 no. 3 (Barnatt & Worthington, need I say more?) along with a detailed description of the workings. It won't be available online for a few years yet, and I don't know whether there are still any copies left for sale at the Museum as we don't print as many spares these days. Having said that, we will consider doing limited-run reprints if there's enough demand, which we've just done with the latest edition.

All the unstable/delicate sections are taped off and where there is water, it's rarely more than ankle-deep. There are a few crawls if you feel so inclined but generally, you can just amble round the workings.

Pete K

Larry, sure I had sent you a survey in one of the emails. Must have missed it. Give me 5 mins and it'll be in your inbox.

LarryFatcat

Thanks for all the info everyone, 8 people had a great trip down Rookerey and Arrock yesterday, improved by your assistance