Author Topic: Winnats head mud slinging  (Read 512 times)

Offline benshannon

• regular
  • NUCC
Winnats head mud slinging
« on: January 12, 2020, 10:12:14 pm »
In Fox chamber there are beautiful flows of calcite on the walls that have had mud thrown at them and some mud hand prints slapped on. It's a real shame because it's far enough into the cave to only be cavers that have done this. 😭 So, my question is, what is the best way to clean it? I was thinking of taking a weed sprayer anda soft brush? But I thought I should seek advice as I don't want to make it worse

Offline JasonC

• forum hero
  • KCC
Re: Winnats head mud slinging
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 07:29:55 pm »
Having been involved in a couple of stal-cleaning exercises, I'd agree that a pressurised 5-lire sprayer typically sold for spraying weeds is ideal, as is a soft plastic brush like you get washing-up.
Obviously you need a handy source of clean water for the sprayer as you wouldn't want to carry the water a long way underground.  Old toothbrushes are also good to get into crevices.

Good luck!

Offline markpot

• menacing presence
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 07:37:31 pm »
Intresting thought about carrying water in.I have little knowlege of cave science.Would a foreign water supply or domestic water have any affect on future development of the stal?

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 10:34:26 pm »
Most times there's a generous supply of water falling through the chokes and I would have thought you could collect 5L in a matter of minutes. And then it's guaranteed to be 'local' ;)

Offline JohnMCooper

• stalker
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 10:39:13 pm »
Pete Glanville posts:
https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=24920.0;all

Scrape off as much mud as possible first. If you can catch the dirty water you can reuse it before a final rinse to finish off.