Author Topic: Waterways diving  (Read 814 times)

Offline amozzer

Waterways diving
« on: February 15, 2020, 04:01:24 pm »
Anyone have information on progress in the sump at bottom of Waterways swallet

Offline benshannon

• player
  • NUCC
Re: Waterways diving
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 05:22:30 pm »
last time i was there i saw a thin dive line on the left wall that may have always been there, but i had never noticed it before. theres also a blue pipe that i think they are using as a syphon but i dont know where too. does this sump go anywhere?

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 05:50:01 pm »
You can post this sort of query directly in the Cave Diving Group website.
Here's what it says in the (as yet unpublished) notes for the next CDG Peak District Sump Index:

Wotno Sump

This sump terminates the cave at the deepest point (125 m below the entrance). It is semi static (with an occasional flood pulse hitting it), being fed for part of the year by a tiny trickle only. The level of the sump surface does not vary and is about 25 m above resurgence level. Preliminary dives have followed the underwater passage for 25 m to a constriction, the maximum depth being 4 m. A sketch plan is available (1).

References:

1.www.keyhole.org.uk/digs_waterways.asp

I think it's been dived since then but can't remember the outcome without checking more recent CDG Newsletters (& just a bit preoccupied with something else as I type). If you visit any decent caving library, they should have these.

Offline amozzer

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 08:16:20 pm »
Thanks for the update. Sump was lowest I've seen it 3 weeks ago. water level a couple feet lower than foam on walls and roof

Online alastairgott

• forum hero
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 10:54:05 pm »
Didn’t RM (Rob SUSS) have a dive in there, or think about it.  :blink:

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 07:22:49 am »
Yes, I think so. Let's have a look in the Newsletters . . . .

. . . got it!:

CDG NL 203 (April 2017) pages 7& 8: RM; mentions Mark Smith having dived it previously (but no reference).  Problems making progress due to pipes in way from previous sump removal attempts. Awkward terrain (max depth 2 m) including at least one "corkscrew" restriction to airbell at 20 m from base. Could hear flowing stream in airbell.

CDG NL 206 (Jan 2018) page 15: RM; could not find an open continuation below water but managed to survey the sump. Suggested best bet would be to find a way to drain the sump and open an above water  tube continuing from airbell by rock removal. Supplied all information to the diggers involved.

As an aside, I do remember the late Charles Read visiting this site; he certainly described taking cylinders down but I don't know the outcome of any diving he may have done. (This was before RM's dives summarised above.) Charles did have a substantial website describing his cave diving; I don't know if it's still live (try Googling his name - but don't confuse him with another CDG member Charlie Reid-Henry).

I think your best bet (amozzer) would be to make contact with those who have been digging at Waterways, long term (unless you are one of them?).

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 07:31:48 am »
Here is some information about the late Charles Read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Read_(mathematician)

It appears his website (although currently not complete) has been archived:

https://solocavediver.com/

Most of this seems to be about overseas cave diving (he had some good pals in Florida). I've not had time to trawl through exhaustively but you may find something of use if you look through it.

Good luck!

Offline amozzer

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 08:37:27 am »
Thanks all for your replies. This site just has to go one day weither it be above or below the sump who knows

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 08:46:40 am »
If you learn anything further of use about the sump, please will you PM me, so we can include the information in the next CDG Peak District Sump Index?

Offline amozzer

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 09:06:21 am »
Will do

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 09:23:57 am »
Ta!   :thumbsup:

Offline Goydenman

• Black Sheep Digger
  • junky
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 09:35:49 am »
Here is some information about the late Charles Read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Read_(mathematician)

It appears his website (although currently not complete) has been archived:

https://solocavediver.com/

Most of this seems to be about overseas cave diving (he had some good pals in Florida). I've not had time to trawl through exhaustively but you may find something of use if you look through it.

Good luck!

Was hoping to find any reports on his dive in the Goyden system, in particular Frog pot upstream sump where Cristian Cristea has now made a significant breakthrough. If anyone comes across Charles reports of dives here please let me know

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 06:50:41 pm »
Goydenman - have you looked through the CDG Newsletter database? (You're allowed access to this, as you're a member.) Charles may have written something about Goyden diving in there.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search