Author Topic: Caving shops no more  (Read 5210 times)

Offline 2xw

• forum star
  • BPC, SUSS
Re: Caving shops no more
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2020, 09:53:52 am »
Badlad - was.... not now.

Happens to us all!

It makes me laugh to imagine what my peers will look like in the future. In terms of my future personal "look", I'm torn between the "Grizzled Dalesmen" and the "NAMHO Wizard". Think I'll stay away from the "Mendip Spheroidal" though.

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2020, 09:59:32 am »
You might manage all 3!

Offline Graigwen

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2020, 10:06:50 am »
Just remembered, the YHA Shop in John Adam Street in Covent Garden, London used to sell Premier carbide Caplamps ("stinkies") eons ago (the 70's anyway).

I still sometimes use a framed rucsac and down sleeping bag, both their own brand, bought from there in the 60s.

They were also the first place I found selling Textured Vegetable Protein (in 7lb expedition bags).

They also sold a small selection of caving and mining books. After they moved to somewhere near Covent Garden the caving items fairly quickly declined.

Offline Graigwen

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2020, 10:12:59 am »
My old copy of Barrington and Stanton has some advertisements for businesses of long ago. Casswells of Midsomer Norton, The Bivouac of Matlock Bath, Ellis Brigham - I think we've had that one, and Clam Products of Liversedge.

Ah yes, Caswells:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11409438@N06/48259128087/in/album-72157679947221496/

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2020, 11:45:20 am »
My old copy of Barrington and Stanton has some advertisements for businesses of long ago. Casswells of Midsomer Norton, The Bivouac of Matlock Bath, Ellis Brigham - I think we've had that one, and Clam Products of Liversedge.
That was 4th & final edition (1977), it also included Caving Supplies & Rocksport. 2nd (1972) had Bryant's, Colston St, Bristol (which had become Blacks [of Greenock] by 1977); The Boat Shop and Outdoor Life, The Boulevard, WsM & 2 ads for Aquaquipment wetsuits of St Albans!

Original Mendip Underground (also 1977) has different Rocksport ad, Lyon (at Whernside Manor), Jo Royle (Buxton & Hanley), Troll, The Bivouac, Whernside Manor itself (although presumably Lyon's), Caving Supplies, Blacks, Clam Products & a certain book supplier - along with Buxton Caving Products & Cavecraft (in Halifax & Chesterfield).

The early South Wales, Peak & Furness guidebooks don't seem to have carried adverts.

Offline tony from suffolk

• forum hero
  • Old codger
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2020, 12:07:35 pm »
We used to buy our wetsuit kits from Aquaquipment who, IIRC, used to advertise in The Speleologist (and probably Descent too). The first one I made, from 3/16" single-skin neoprene, had little dart marks to show where to align the edges for sticking. So I religiously cut out the dart shapes...

Great fun putting the blessed things on.
"Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment"

Offline Duncan Price

• forum star
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2020, 03:39:44 pm »

Ah yes, Caswells:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11409438@N06/48259128087/in/album-72157679947221496/

Caswells still had stock of new Premier cap lamps in the mid '80s.  I bought mine from there.  The box still had the price in lsd on it but they had more up to date price list.  When the local coal mines were still going one could buy bang there.  Closed a few years ago sadly.

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2020, 07:25:52 pm »
Tony mentioned Aquaquipment in St.Albans (Herts) which sold wetsuit kits. They weren't very reliable wetsuits. Back in the day a certain CPC member wrote a whole song about them, which often got sung in the GG communal tent. I can't remember all the words but the chorus was:

"My wetsuit, is made of neoprene,
The hole in the back is quite obscene,
The outside's filthy brown and the lining's turning green,
It's the tattiest wetsuit I have ever seen
."

Aquaquipment also sold their own pre-made wetsuits under the brand name "Dolphin". I had one of those as well and it lasted be for quite some time. (Well, a lot longer than the home made equivalents from kits!)

Offline David Rose

• forum star
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2020, 07:42:47 pm »
I had an Aquaquipment kit wetsuit hen I was a teenager. It did the job!

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2020, 08:17:54 pm »
I had an Aquaquipment kit wetsuit hen I was a teenager. It did the job!

Same here - a kit version! Spent a Thursday afternoon during a school holiday in a friend's kitchen cutting out the pieces, gluing them together, gluing on the zip on and tape along all the seams and sewing all the lining on the seams inside. It was for an intended caving trip on the weekend and they didn't have a ready made suit in the shop that would fit me.

We turned up at the agreed meeting point with a caving club my friend was a member of and there was no room in the van for us so we didn't go!  :(

Still, I got plenty of use from that wetsuit, with plenty of patches, in the following years.
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Offline blackshiver

• menacing presence
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2020, 10:38:25 pm »
Just remembered my first Tailor Made wetsuit was from Typhoon in Redcar back in the 70’s
Drove past there on my way back to work this afternoon and still going strong!
I have a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel.

Offline Graigwen

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2020, 10:59:35 pm »

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2020, 11:30:53 pm »
Just remembered my first Tailor Made wetsuit was from Typhoon in Redcar back in the 70’s
Drove past there on my way back to work this afternoon and still going strong!
Of course they are now mainly drysuits.

Offline andys

• Outside its dropped to under zero, but I'm warm on here as a
  • forum hero
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2020, 10:21:23 am »
My first wetsuit, 1967;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11409438@N06/49562336678/in/album-72157620557572135/

On that invoice, under "Other Items" - does that say boobs! Just wondering LOL
Plateaus are the highest form of flattery.

Offline Graigwen

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2020, 09:22:41 am »
My first wetsuit, 1967;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11409438@N06/49562336678/in/album-72157620557572135/

On that invoice, under "Other Items" - does that say boobs! Just wondering LOL

Boots!

When I found the document I was surprised I paid that much (then equivalent to nine pints of cheap bitter) for neoprene boots. I did not use them much and they hung around for years being partially cannabilised for patches until the remains were thrown out about fifteen years ago.

Offline Jon_M

• Gloucester Speleological Society
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2020, 04:16:24 pm »

In regard to Caving Supplies, there was a time years ago when it seemed like most cavers in the UK had one of these (found this one buried in the shed)  ;D

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2020, 04:48:15 pm »
Or a green karrimor one (I still have 2 or 3)

Online Duck ditch

• menacing presence
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2020, 08:41:34 pm »
There used to be caving shop in kettlewell.  I think that was called over and under but I’m not sure. Up in the village on the left bank of dowbergill

Offline crickleymal

• forum hero
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2020, 09:52:25 am »
Just remembered, the YHA Shop in John Adam Street in Covent Garden, London used to sell Premier carbide Caplamps ("stinkies") eons ago (the 70's anyway).

I still sometimes use a framed rucsac and down sleeping bag, both their own brand, bought from there in
I've got a Swedish army framed rucksack.  I prefer them as it spaces the sack away from your back so it's less sweaty.
Malc
Rusted and ropy, dog-eared old copy.
Vintage and classic or just plain Jurassic:
all words to describe me.

Offline Wardy

• player
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2020, 11:59:51 am »
I remember the Kettlewell shop.
Never really noticed it before until going to do Dowbergill one day and realising I had not packed my wet socks - Then like an apparition I spied some caving gear in a shop window opposite where I was parked and wandered over in disbelief before leaving leaving, socks in hand still somewhat amazed.
Just goes to show "every" village needs a caving shop as the internet can't always fix things fast enough.
Turned out to be a great trip so thanks to the Kettlewell shop.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search