Author Topic: Mendip Cave Rescue Response to Covid-19  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Bob Mehew

• forum hero
  • breaking knots is fun
Re: Mendip Cave Rescue Response to Covid-19
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2020, 05:39:50 pm »
The NCA's Minimal Impact Caving Code states "Keep your party to a small size - a minimum of 4 and maximum of 6. Specific requirements may apply in certain instances."  I vaguely recall an argument in NCA Council over this statement between C&A and Training Committees over maximum numbers.  However, the NCA Cave Conservation Handbook makes reference to party sizes of two for cave conservation reasons in some cases.  (Amusingly the example cited is located on Mendip.) 

The NCA's MICC was replaced by the BCA MICC which states "The party size should be appropriate to the vulnerability of the cave."

Please also note BCA's statement at https://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php which does not specify party size, just it's take on the legal requirement. 

Offline The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2020, 06:09:42 pm »
I was really trying to detach the minimum of four advice from anything to do with Covid-19.

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2020, 11:07:38 pm »
One point nobody seems to have questioned is the comment that most caves are closed.

I can't find a list. Does anyone know if there is one?
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2020, 07:11:42 am »
Only from random posts covering swildons, Eastwater, st Cuthbert's, reservoir & fairy quarry caves (although I know climbers have been on the cliffs during lockdown). But majority are on farmland owned by those at high risk, so visits unlikely to endear you.

Offline The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2020, 08:42:42 am »
I think that the FCQ management committee has been in touch with the climbers. Its not necessarily a good thing that nobody visits FCQ as a huge amount of fly-tipping has taken place at the old CSS cottage.

Offline andrewmc

• BCA ind. rep.
  • junky
  • EUSS, BEC, YSS, SWCC...
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2020, 08:56:55 am »
One point nobody seems to have questioned is the comment that most caves are closed.

This is where the equivalent of the BMC's RAD (Regional Access Database) would be really useful...

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2020, 03:45:40 pm »

A list is in the process of being compiled as part of the Derbyshire Cave Registry website - each entry now also includes its current access situation with regards to cv-19.  DCA is also at the moment posting on UKcaving notes about which caves are closed at the request of their owners.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search