Pubs in the Dales

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone been yet?  It's always good to have a pint after a caving trip or walk.  What pubs are open and how were they operating?  Here's a couple to start.

The Marton Arms was open at the weekend for drinks only.  I understand it is open tonight through the weekend again.  It is doing accommodation with a continental breakfast but no food in the bar.  Book a table in two hour slots.  Table service for drinks only and there is a reduced number of tables.  I understand they intend to start doing a limited menu in a few weeks time.

The Game Cock in Austwick is open each day.  We had a beer and sat outside.  You follow a one way route to the bar and out the other door.  It tasted good.  They are doing food as well but with reduced tables inside.  They did have a couple of seats in the bar area where you can sit just for a drink.  Contactless payments of course.

Both have protection for their employees and take contact details for track and trace.  I found the system a little alien but the beer and chance to chat with friends quickly overcame that.  I'll be taking the family out at the weekend - any recommendations?

s_allshorn

"You follow a one way route to the bar and out the other door.  It tasted good."
Recommendation: Don't lick the doors!
Sorry!

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Licking the doors might explain why I got lost following the rather confusing arrows.  I missed the turning to the beer garden, came out the front door, walked round the back and found myself following the arrows in the wrong direction.  Hopefully nobody noticed  ;)  :spank:

skippy

The Helwith Opened last weekend. They were erecting a marquee in the front when I passed last Friday. I 'think' the Crown opens this weekend.

Pitlamp

I met the (new) staff at the New Inn (Clapham) last week, in my work capacity. They're local and they took the pub on just before coronavirus struck (ouch!). They said they were planning to open this Wednesday just gone. Really friendly folk - quite young - and I have hopes that the pub might be elevated to the cavers' watering hole list again - more like it used to be. Not had chance to call in yet but looking forward to it shortly.

I suspect they'd be glad of some caver trade.

oldboy

Helwith Bridge open last weekend. Sign in on arrival (Track & Trace)
Quite a few in but not crowded, staff cleaned table and chairs on arrival and when we left. No standing at the bar.  (Well that's what it said)
Very pleasant. Thanks Paul and Claire for making it safe.

Jeanrr

We went for lunch at the Game Cock, Austwick on Wednesday. Very nice. The staff wear visors and the food is great. Probably best to book if you want food.
Highly recommended.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone been to the Golden Lion in Settle.  I heard it was open for food and have tried ringing them but no reply.
Cheers

Pitlamp

Someone in our village who works there has just come off furlough and gone back to work there; a hopeful sign?

(Quick "modify"): cancel that - he's at the Royal Oak.

mikem

Wheatsheaf in Ingleton is doing food, whilst Three Horseshoes is only selling drinks (& a Wed eve pub quiz)

GarDouth

Administrator
skippy said:
The Talbot in Settle is open however, you have to book 1 1/2 slots.

I've been in the Talbot a few times recently. Nice and spacious, not too restrictive and really excellent food. I could get used to table service!

You do have to book for an hour and a half slot but if it's like for half 8pm they usually just let you stay till closing.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Tried the Golden Lion tonight for tapas and a few pints.  Both were very welcome.  ;)

jcarter5826

The Crown at Middlesmoor open, although on Sunday power went off.

Old Hall at Threshfield serving meals.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ed

jcarter5826 said:
The Crown at Middlesmoor open, although on Sunday power went off.

Old Hall at Threshfield serving meals.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Angela is back at The Crown - now as Landlady as Malcolm has left- smiles all round again.

gingerlycolors said:
I am sad to hear that the Clapham Bunkhouse Bar and Caf? are not reopening following the Coronavirus lockdown.

Yes this is a shame, tried to pop in the other day after a trip but saw the notice. Went to the New Inn whcih was nice if a touch pricey.

snebbit

Station Inn at Ribbleshead is open again too, with a large marquee in the car park to compliment the already quite large beer garden and plenty of benches out front, in case social distancing was your main factor for deciding on a pint