Author Topic: Scam of the day  (Read 2580 times)

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
Re: Scam of the day
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2020, 08:33:28 am »
One could create a fake ID with a throw away email address. An address can be a derelict building, enough of these in Wales, a postcode can be generated by websites that do this.
My avatar is a poor likeness.

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2020, 06:01:03 pm »
"Prevention Foundation" also had a try at the British Caving Library and, having checked that it did exist, I vaguely agreed thay we would provide some leaflets to the local school but I deliberately used my own name and postal address in all the information I gave them.  No amount of money was ever mentioned but I thought that, if it did turn out to be worth while I'd willingly shell out £20 or so myself for the little primary school just up the road from the Library.

Similar story to Sam T.  Long story short, an invoice for £199 arrived - no way am I paying that for about 20 four-page leaflets.  So I ignored it; they threatened a bit but then gave up after about 4 weeks.

If it's a scam, it's not a very productive one.

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2020, 08:56:12 pm »
Its a 'grey'scam like Rapid Secure who board windows up for the police who have a duty of care to leave buildings secure after break ins. I was broken into about 15 years ago and few bits of little value taken. I got home and found a window boarded up and the lights on. Next door gave me the story. I removed the boarding and got a new pane cut for £12 which i fitted myself. A week later an invoice for £230 for nailing up a sheet of boarding ply. Refused to pay regardless of letters and calls etc. Heard nothing more.
One cannot be forced to pay for a service not requested and if they pursue the matter through the courts not only will the case be thrown out but they risk being declared vexatious litigants for misuse of the civil justice system.
My avatar is a poor likeness.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2020, 09:24:10 pm »
I can't see much more happening in the foundation other than boxing - sometimes with the police. Ironic really, given their apparent sales techniques.

https://www.facebook.com/Prevention-Foundation-106203634489377/

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search