• The winning ticket number is 100

    Check your ticket - if you won, claim your prize!

    The first prize to be drawn is the womens Makalu Goretex jacket by Mountain Equipment.

    Click here to claim

  • The 2nd winning ticket number is 101

    Check your ticket - if you won, claim your prize!

    The second prize to be drawn is the transporter sack kindly donated by the lovely folks at Starless River.

    Click here to claim

Ken Mellor RIP

nigel n

Member
Sad to report that Ken passed away a couple of days ago. As long time landlord of the Quiet Woman in earl Sterndale Ken will be remembered by many Peak District cavers and climbers.  Beneath a seemingly gruff exterior Ken was a good friend to many and his pub was one of the few remaining real pubs where a chat and pint remained more important than a bland greeting and a gastro menu.  Our thoughts are with Jenny and the rest of the family.
 
Yes, the Kings on the market place.  I think he left about 30 years ago.  I've seen "older" members of the Eldon in the Quiet Woman much more recently
 
I was resident in Buxton from 1983 to 1992 and remember Ken at the Kings before it got bought into the 20th century - I even worked as a barman when it got refurbed. I even visited the Quiet Woman on a number of occasions in those years.

I was surprised to come accross him at the Quiet Woman many, many years later after a trip down Owl Hole with Markc of this parish. The home made pork pies were a thing of wonder, - although not to my vegetarian caver buddy!

Sad loss.
 
Went up to see if he was open on a sunny evening last week and just thought it was still closed due to COVID.

Proper landlord and proper pub.

RIP
 
Back
Top