Author Topic: Gimlis dream connection  (Read 665 times)

Offline benshannon

• addict
  • NUCC
Gimlis dream connection
« on: October 11, 2020, 06:12:33 pm »
Has anyone managed to get from Carlswalk into merlin mine lately? I really want to find the connection but I have read that it can fill up with sediment so may no longer be passable

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
Re: Gimlis dream connection
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 06:58:17 pm »
It was fine about 2 years ago :thumbsup:
The end is where we start....

Offline Tseralo

• addict
  • TSG
    • louisemcmahon.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 07:09:48 pm »
We did it about 3 months ago for the first time from merlins to carlswalk and didn't find the route nav too difficult just follow the footprints/knee prints

Offline martinb

• forum star
  • In Normandy, France, not close to Limestone
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 07:37:24 pm »
As one of the original diggers of the new connection between Carlswark and Merlin Mine, we were worried about the scree slumping into the connection crawl/grovel/slither.

I had heard a couple of years ago, before I left the UK, that the connection was blocked, I toddled along to check for myself. It was still open.

As you drop Eyam Dale shaft, before you hit the bottom, go left into a small aven instead of right into main system.

Theres a gap at floor level for a slither into another small chamber with a scree cone in the middle. On opposite side there is a wide hole to John Becks original concrete plug.

As you get to the concrete there is a gap on the left for the slither through to Merlins.

Thats how it was, thats a couple of years ago...... ;)

Offline LincsCaver

• LSCC
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 08:29:43 pm »
We got through last month (merlins to carlswark direction). There was no sediment back up at all, just a short slightly wet belly crawl  :thumbsup:

Offline benshannon

• addict
  • NUCC
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 08:48:36 pm »
This is awesome. So, next question, if I go from Carlswalk to. Merlins, can you get to the surface without tackle or does Merlins need pre rigging? Is there even SRT in merlins? I'm thinking about a through trip

Offline al

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 08:57:40 pm »
Is there even SRT in merlins? I'm thinking about a through trip

https://www.ccpc.org.uk/rigging-guide/merlin.html

The pitch (S2 on the topo) is narrow and has been free climbed - but it's much safer to pre-rig it.
Old ... but not old enough to know any better

Offline benshannon

• addict
  • NUCC
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 08:59:59 pm »
Cheers dude

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 11:52:20 pm »
Two years ago me and Alex from the TSG went down Merlins to pick up a water sampler - we had to also pick one up from the further reaches of Carlswark so decided to try the through-route, not expecting to manage it - but we did, and it was pretty easy really. After picking up the water sampler we exited via the Gin Entrance and strolled back to Merlins to pick up our harnesses - which were at the bottom of the shaft. Erm - now you tell me. Anyway, I was able to free-climb down it pretty easily if truth be told, and after tying the harnesses on the rope, free-climbed it back up again. But obviously I couldn't possibly recommend that approach as I've screwed up a few free-climbs too.

Offline martinb

• forum star
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 09:31:11 am »
Two years ago me and Alex from the TSG went down Merlins to pick up a water sampler - we had to also pick one up from the further reaches of Carlswark so decided to try the through-route, not expecting to manage it - but we did, and it was pretty easy really. After picking up the water sampler we exited via the Gin Entrance and strolled back to Merlins to pick up our harnesses - which were at the bottom of the shaft. Erm - now you tell me. Anyway, I was able to free-climb down it pretty easily if truth be told, and after tying the harnesses on the rope, free-climbed it back up again. But obviously I couldn't possibly recommend that approach as I've screwed up a few free-climbs too.

And the moral of this story is to clip your harnassess to the rope!  :wall:

Offline Mrs Trellis

• British Jobs for British Shirkers
  • forum hero
  • Daft old bat
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 09:37:40 am »
In the deep recesses of my 70 + year old memory stir tales of ropes being nicked from Eyam Dale shaft. Perhaps take care especially at weekends when there are yobs about. Perhaps it's wise to go caving at 10pm on a Tuesday night which seems to be the thing nowadays.
Mrs Trellis
Upper Sheeps Bottom
North Wales

Offline martinb

• forum star
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 09:38:46 am »
Here's a survey of the area in question

Offline martinb

• forum star
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 09:41:13 am »
In the deep recesses of my 70 + year old memory stir tales of ropes being nicked from Eyam Dale shaft. Perhaps take care especially at weekends when there are yobs about. Perhaps it's wise to go caving at 10pm on a Tuesday night which seems to be the thing nowadays.

We spent a good 3 or 4 years caving in SMD, the majority of the time parking at the substation accross from Eyam Dale Shaft - do not block the gates!! (You have been warned)

We never had any problem with yobs interfering with the car or ropes being nicked, but that is not to say it may not happen.

Use your common sense!

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search