Wanted: 1 computer boffin - "couldn't download - virus scan failed"

alastairgott

I'm having terrible trouble with my PC this week, I can't download any files, I've tried a few things i've found online to fix the problem "couldn't download - virus scan failed" and I cannot fix it.

Does anyone know where I can turn to get some help in fixing this.

And no I've not been trying to download mucky videos  :eek:

alastairgott

Windows 10 with Microsoft Edge, it automatically updates so I guess I have. and I made sure I had the latest updates as an attempt to fix the problem (so I am fully up to date).

aricooperdavis

You could try modifying the registry to stop Edge trying to scan the downloads? Although obviously has some security implications!

The key you're looking for is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > Attachments and set "ScanWithAntivirus" to 1.

Edit: although I'd start with trying different browsers. If you don't have any you can get Firefox portable downloaded onto a USB stick from a different machine.

alastairgott

I've checked Chrome and that's not working either, I'll upload Firefox to Onedrive at work tomorrow and then install it on the laptop when i'm at home. and see how deep the gremlins have climbed into my PC.

MinimalMayhem

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/883260/information-about-the-attachment-manager-in-microsoft-windows

Two workarounds there.

JoshW

no chance there's some malware that's been downloaded and it's disguised as a virus checker, and is just popping up any time you try to download a file?

Roger W

Is your computer showing the correct date?

I had some trouble recently when the button cell in my pc that keeps the clock alive ran out of juice.  Then my antivirus would not let me download anything because it thought it was still 1980 or whenever and didn't recognise the legitimacy of the date on the files I wanted to download.

Fixed by replacing the button cell and re-setting the computer date.

mrodoc

I'm no expert but I have had updates that screwed things up. The Photos app doesn't work on my PC at present after a Windows update. Presumably a future update will sort it out.

alastairgott

You boffin Ari, Firefox works. I'll make the switch, as seemingly edge and chrome are gremlin fodder.

Thanks for the quick easy fix :)