Author Topic: Aditnow Members  (Read 3119 times)

Online Cantclimbtom

• regular
Re: Aditnow Members
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2021, 09:48:09 pm »
How many countless lives have been saved of people falling into swimming pools wearing pyjamas. Those lessons were of immeasurable value.
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline sinker

• player
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2021, 10:06:36 pm »
How many countless lives have been saved of people falling into swimming pools wearing pyjamas. Those lessons were of immeasurable value.

….and how many priceless rubber bricks have been rescued from a watery grave?

Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Offline Paul Marvin

• regular
  • Bronze, Silver & Gold Swimming Certificates
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2021, 10:47:09 am »
How do I get Bronze, silver and gold swimming certificates  :bounce:   :lol:

I dont even know if they do them anymore but trust me the gold was exceptionally hard to achieve for me amongst other things you first swam a mile with if I recall was 72 lengths of a normal sized pool followed by staying in the water, donning pyjama top and bottoms and treading water for 1 hour, perform a rescue swim on your back towing a person with your hand cupped under there chin for 3 lengths the afore mention diving to recover a brick,there was also 3 other disciplines that I cant remember now . It did take hours to complete .   :'(
I dont know where I am going, but will know where I am when I get there.

Offline Paul Marvin

• regular
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2021, 10:56:48 am »
All I remember about those days were black rubber bricks, nylon pyjamas and chlorine everywhere. And the occasional turd in the pool. Did get my gold in the end, though I nearly drowned doing it.

Yes I can remember the water swallowing that went on , still remember the taste very well chlorine and diluted urine   :yucky:

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2021, 12:45:25 pm »
I'm amazed you still like being underwater after all that shit ;)

Offline skimble

• AditNow refugee
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2021, 01:38:42 pm »
I dont even know if they do them anymore but trust me the gold was exceptionally hard to achieve for me amongst other things you first swam a mile with if I recall was 72 lengths of a normal sized pool followed by staying in the water, donning pyjama top and bottoms and treading water for 1 hour, perform a rescue swim on your back towing a person with your hand cupped under there chin for 3 lengths the afore mention diving to recover a brick,there was also 3 other disciplines that I cant remember now . It did take hours to complete .   :'(

I did a metric version of it where I had to swim for 1km (40 lengths of the pool) in <30 minutes. IIRC as well as the above I swam 4 (?) lengths in pyjamas and then made a float out of them and had use the float to stay motionless in the water. I think I also had to scull head first and feet first.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2021, 01:47:23 pm »
OHMYGOD, there it is! I never thought I'd see one of those again. And yes, your description seems to concur with my memory - this would be 1978-9 time probably. Fabulous.
One 'upside' of this award was a booklet of free tickets to the local swimming pool, that I (predictably) never finished. But this was in Rotherham, so give me a break. They'd built a 'leisure centre' by this point with a 'wave machine', so the funding allocation for the main pool was a bottle of Domestos and an old lifeguard who looked like Uncle Fester. 'He's funny, that one'. The leisure centre is now the same patch of grass it was before they built it. Anyway, I digress...

Offline Paul Marvin

• regular
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2021, 02:56:04 pm »
I'm amazed you still like being underwater after all that shit ;)

It was staying on the surface that was the hard bit   :shrug:

Online Cantclimbtom

• regular
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2021, 05:43:59 pm »
My school never did gold because it took too long to test, so Silver was as far as I got. That's a real blast from the past seeing a pic of that award!

Offline Paul Marvin

• regular
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2021, 06:17:05 pm »
My school never did gold because it took too long to test, so Silver was as far as I got. That's a real blast from the past seeing a pic of that award!

If my memory serves me correct you got a sew on badge, also a metal badge and a Certificate   ::)

Offline ttxela2

• menacing presence
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2021, 11:16:21 am »
No lifesaving badges for me, I had a fear of the water from a very early age although all my mates loved swimming. My Mum described having daily nightmares about drowning whilst pregnant with me and put it down to having passed something on.

Despite regular school swimming lessons I failed to do much more than splash around in the shallow end with floats and armbands. When I was 14 or so I had a teacher of the 'chuck him in the deep end and he'll soon learn' school of thought. This resulted in me being ignominiously fished out at the end of one of those poles with hoops at the end that they keep poolside for such indignities. I'd swallowed a considerable amount of water and was quite out of sorts for the rest of the afternoon.

Fortunately a friend who had witnessed this cruel indignity took it upon himself to properly teach me and after some patient coaching I did indeed learn to swim, at least in the sense that I can make progress from one end of a pool to the other without touching the bottom or requiring the attendance of the emergency services.......

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2021, 11:37:31 am »
I can't float at all - no matter what happens I sink, every time. I had a friend hold me up in the water off the coast of Greece where it was super-salty, and then he let go and I just slowly sank underwater. He was scratching his head as he could just lie there and read the paper, but he was practucally translucent he was so thin. I put it down to being too muscly and not enough fat, though I have no plans to put more on purely as a flotation aid.

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2021, 11:39:05 am »
I used to sink, but after a year of lockdown, I float quite well. I needed an extra kilo of lead diving last night  :-[

Offline RobinGriffiths

• forum hero
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2021, 11:39:32 am »
I confine my activites to petting and smoking in the shallow end.

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2021, 11:42:06 am »
I cant believe this. I love water, no fear at all, and I am a racing snake, I don't do fat.

Beam me up Mr Spock.
My avatar is a poor likeness.

Offline sinker

• player
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2021, 11:44:11 am »

I can't float at all - no matter what happens I sink, every time. I had a friend hold me up in the water off the coast of Greece where it was super-salty, and then he let go and I just slowly sank underwater.

I had the same problem; then I remembered that I had my wallet in the back pocket of my shorts  ;)

I have an Irish mate the same as yours; super-buoyant and can't sink. His name's Bob.....and he's from Cork.... ;)

Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Offline Down and beyond

• addict
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2021, 11:52:27 am »
I love water can’t keep out of it ! More dirty the better that’s why I cannot wait for c & j and parc  :bounce:

Can’t take my wallet in the environment agency would :spank: me for all the plastic contamination

Tom

Online Cantclimbtom

• regular
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2021, 12:46:52 pm »
... I don't do fat...
I can see that from your picture!

Offline Paul Marvin

• regular
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2021, 04:57:36 pm »
I love water can’t keep out of it ! More dirty the better that’s why I cannot wait for c & j and parc  :bounce:

Can’t take my wallet in the environment agency would :spank: me for all the plastic contamination

Tom

Hafna is the place to go Tom not Parc

Offline Paul Marvin

• regular
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2021, 04:59:52 pm »
I confine my activites to petting and smoking in the shallow end.

I remember as young boy always reading that sign , thinking what on earth is petting  :confused:

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2021, 05:15:02 pm »
I love water can’t keep out of it ! More dirty the better

You'll enjoy Stoke Lane Slocker then  ;D

Drop me a line next time you're heading to Mendip  :thumbsup:

Offline Down and beyond

• addict
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2021, 07:50:16 pm »

Tom

Hafna is the place to go Tom not Parc

Cheers Paul and sue I have only ever stuck my head in as a mate forgot his cow tails that day I think I have seen your video ?

Offline Down and beyond

• addict
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2021, 07:51:02 pm »
I love water can’t keep out of it ! More dirty the better

You'll enjoy Stoke Lane Slocker then  ;D

Drop me a line next time you're heading to Mendip  :thumbsup:

I certainly will! Thank you  :thumbsup:

Tom

Online ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
    • http://www.cowdery.org.uk
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2021, 09:35:02 pm »
I visited Stoke Lane Slocker on 29th August 1998. My rather terse notes just say 'Nice and warm'.

If I recall correctly, there is a stream that runs into the entrance, and it runs along the grassy field before going into the cave. It was a sunny day, and the water was almost at bath temperature when it got to the cave entrance.

Chris.
--
http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Offline Paul Marvin

• regular
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2021, 09:42:52 pm »
 :'(

I can't float at all - no matter what happens I sink, every time. I had a friend hold me up in the water off the coast of Greece where it was super-salty, and then he let go and I just slowly sank underwater.

I had the same problem; then I remembered that I had my wallet in the back pocket of my shorts  ;)

I have an Irish mate the same as yours; super-buoyant and can't sink. His name's Bob.....and he's from Cork.... ;)

:'(

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal