Author Topic: Spar Mine hole  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Down and beyond

• addict
Spar Mine hole
« on: April 01, 2021, 04:12:26 pm »
Hello everyone .

A mate of mine went to ******** today just want to make everyone aware that their is a sign  “quote “ .

Large collapses have occurred March 2021 and their are new blockages in the main levels .

The mine is extremely unstable and collapses are now occurring more frequently.

Do not enter the mine their is a significant risk to your life .

Just passing the warning message on  :thumbsdown:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 07:34:29 pm by paul »

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
Re: Spar Mine hole
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 04:39:14 pm »
Hi Tom, is the sign posted by land or mineral owner, or is it a goodwill sign by a kindly fellow explorer?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 07:31:20 pm by paul »
My avatar is a poor likeness.

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
  • DCA, TSG, DCRO, PDMHS, DCMC, YSS
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 04:49:47 pm »
Mods I suggest you rename this thread to something generic like Spar Mine asap. Super sensitive site right now which is why you have not seen it posted here or on social media.
It's a goodwill sign but very recent. PM me for details if you wish but edit the title please.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 07:31:36 pm by paul »

Online Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 05:01:07 pm »
Done as requested.  Let me know if anyone has a problem with that - by PM please.

Online Cantclimbtom

• regular
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 05:13:46 pm »
A certain explorer group posted a video 3 days ago on YouTube of the same place. It did look recent and loose. Sadly from their video it looks like sections are decidedly on the move and sustained bad weather (or explorers touching roof in collapsed areas) will bring down a lot more
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline Down and beyond

• addict
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 05:26:28 pm »
If your re naming the thread mite I suggest that you edit my comment ? I am not drawing attention to this site but I do not wish anyone to drive a long way their to realise this then turn back  :thumbsup:

Hello Roy I afraid it’s just At the entrance no names mentioned at all .

Please remove the above issue Tom

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
  • DCA, TSG, DCRO, PDMHS, DCMC, YSS
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 05:44:59 pm »
I guess that this thread generates more questions than answers, sorry.
I have heard that a certain mine spar mine near Stoney Middleton is rapidly and recently running in. Access to this mine is not allowed and the owners are currently keen to prosecute anyone found in there and do look on sites like this. I can imagine it is hard to let folks know about an underground danger in a mine that acknowledging you have been may lead to arrest. Heed the warning notice!

Offline Down and beyond

• addict
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 05:56:48 pm »
No issues at all I’m the thread can be deleted if need be  :thumbsup:

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 05:58:01 pm »
Heard on the grapevine that a collapse happend last year, blocking the main drive beyond an air wall. The passage goes through a thick section of volcanics that have altered to a weak green clay (T'owd stone, cat dirt to the old miners...) This has come through the timber lagging where the passage is ringed. Features such as the zig zag ladder stope, or the muddy sump are not reachable.

Online bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 07:32:23 pm »
Its toadstone, not t'owd, due to it resemblance to a toads skin!
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2021, 07:46:53 pm »
This shitty photo is from roughly the same area, and it was taken in 2010, so I think we can safely assume that to be much worse now. The arching was buckling under the weight of the overburden and the weakness of the tuff (which is like halva in places it's so fragile) is hardly helping, as it just gets squeezed into the passages like toothpaste.

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 07:58:06 pm »
Or as I was taught, T'owd as in The old mans' stone... Follow it to find the mineralisation that may be focussed on its lower surface. Rising fluids in joints and faults hit the clay aquiclude and bunch out into a load. The old man (a miner or knocker) would lead the adventurer to riches, or nothing if not respected! A moot point - literally if it goes to the Bar-Moot Court! Shame Jim Rieuwerts cant give us his input!  ;D

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 08:06:52 pm »
Some pics that show the lagging failing and volcanic debris falling in.
Middle pic is some dumped spoil with timbers mixed in and decomposing.
The las one shows a mass of clay with a less rotted harder piece on top

Offline Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2021, 08:09:48 pm »
Looks like a good place to go poking around if you want to save on undertaker's bills!
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2021, 08:15:54 pm »
Looks like a good place to go poking around if you want to save on undertaker's bills!
Apart from the drives through the lavas, the mine was mostly in good limestone other than the stopes, which are now backfilled... As the lavas in question are near the entrance I suppose there was a good chance of being entombed...

Offline Mark

• forum hero
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2021, 08:41:36 pm »
There was nothing to see in there when it was a working mine, I really can't imagine what the attraction is now.

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2021, 08:54:15 pm »
Rocks, minerals, fossils, geology, industrial archaeology, history... No nothing to see  ;D ;D

Online Cantclimbtom

• regular
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2021, 08:57:36 pm »
Without promoting a YouTuber not popular with many on AN,  you could always watch his/their video posted 3 days ago to get an idea of  recent state of the mine. Understood that the person seems as interested in making videos as actually exploring, so yes you can shout at the screen as you watch. Posting due to direct thread relevance not to promote

"Collapse of a Fluorspar Mine"
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline Down and beyond

• addict
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2021, 06:27:47 am »
Does not look in the best of conditions , not sure I would enjoy the screaming and shouting the hole time would get very annoying especially under the fresh collapse areas !

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2021, 09:01:27 am »
Or as I was taught, T'owd as in The old mans' stone... Follow it to find the mineralisation that may be focussed on its lower surface. Rising fluids in joints and faults hit the clay aquiclude and bunch out into a load. The old man (a miner or knocker) would lead the adventurer to riches, or nothing if not respected! A moot point - literally if it goes to the Bar-Moot Court! Shame Jim Rieuwerts cant give us his input!  ;D
Even Jim never managed to find a definitive answer to that etymological question as far as I'm aware - however, it could be said for certain that the term was largely confined to the southern half of the orefield, "channel" being usual in the northern half (or "cat-dirt" to describe weathered volcanics). It was always written as toadstone, never t'owd stone though, and I've always thought that the similarity of mottled green-black volcanics to a toad's skin was the most likely derivation.
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2021, 10:39:17 am »
I've got a lump of that very stuff here - dark-green/brown mottling with pink calcite veins. Looks like a piece of very exotic birthday cake. And yes, I managed about five mins of the shouting, wished it would collapse there and then, and turned it off. 'Discovered' all those areas ten years ago and I'm sure we were just one of hundreds who had before that.

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2021, 01:07:15 am »
A character called H. H. Arnold-Bemrose mentioned Toadstone as possibly being a corruption of the German 'Todtstein' 'dead rock' in 1894.

https://jgs.lyellcollection.org/content/50/1-4/603
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2021, 01:22:35 am »
Some of the less dense varieties - from Pindale in the first two (with large calcite vein in the middle) and then Moss Rake. There's some pretty wacky stuff going on in that first one as the tuff seems to be within fractures in the vein - i.e. it was deposited long after the vein had formed. But where's the host rock in that case? The vein is also displaced vertically as the left wall is limestone, though there's only a scrap visible.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2021, 06:21:45 pm »

Offline Down and beyond

• addict
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2021, 07:05:33 pm »
Moss rake is on my list of places to visit ! Have not seen the name since aditnow closed !

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal