Author Topic: Gleision Mine Disaster  (Read 271 times)

Offline legendrider

Gleision Mine Disaster
« on: Yesterday at 01:35:25 pm »
BBC are showing a documentary about this tragic event at 8pm tonight 15/9/21 on BBC1 Wales

Also available on I-Player for rest of UK.

MARK

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
Re: Gleision Mine Disaster
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:23:27 pm »
On now (8 to 9pm)

Online Tomferry

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:42:25 am »
I watched it very interesting, I personally cannot believe they have escaped without going to prison ,with so many people claiming to of seen illegal workings it shocks me that they did not clear up some of the mess inside to re survey the mine and then continue the trial .

Offline sinker

• stalker
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:01:07 am »
I watched it very interesting, I personally cannot believe they have escaped without going to prison ,with so many people claiming to of seen illegal workings it shocks me that they did not clear up some of the mess inside to re survey the mine and then continue the trial .

Like most things in life, it's never as straightforward as it first appears.
There were failings all round but a lot of what happened leading up to the final event was done with the best of intentions.

A tragedy happened but it would be difficult to nail anyone to a tree for it and what good would it serve. Lives had been lost, lives had been destroyed, the owners had been through hell, nothing would ever be the same for any of them.

Worst mining disaster in Wales in a generation and all because a few people wanted to earn a living and keep a tradition alive.

Truth is the place should never have been operating in the first place, at least not in the manner it was.

Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Offline sinker

• stalker
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:22:12 am »

Link to the HSE report.

http://www.mineaccidents.com.au/uploads/gleison-colliery-inrush-report.pdf

The HSE investigated thoroughly but sympathetically; its definitely one of the better reports I've read.
Obviously it assumes some knowledge of the working method; small scale and outdated drill / blast / hand-loading / propping / back-filling etc but its a very interesting read.
Read that report....and then imagine you are the Owner, Mine Manager or Surveyor looking after that lot.
The complexity along with the million and one things you have to think about was the ultimate cause of the accident.

Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal