Author Topic: Ballot Results  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
Re: Ballot Results
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2021, 09:00:33 pm »

I dunno why Pitlamp necro'd this thread after it was dead for a month but maybe you lot could pack it in with the sly comments and bitching?

Because I only just read what nearlywhite had posted and I felt it would benefit from being given a different perspective. From the "likes" it seems quite a few folk were in agreement.

Isn't that what forums are for?

Offline Shapatti

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2021, 09:07:49 pm »
"Rostam who?" was a frequent question I had to answer too; it looks like we both need to improve our image!

I don't know if you're doing this on purpose but this sort of playground insult is beginning to look quite catty when accompanied by the "sore winner" speech back in the thread.

I dunno why Pitlamp necro'd this thread after it was dead for a month but maybe you lot could pack it in with the sly comments and bitching?

Doesn't make you look good and doesn't do you any good - trust me.
I don't think that Russell's comment was really intended to come across that way, at least it didn't to me.

I can personally say that both statements along the lines of '... who?' were both asked of me multiple times, when people who were not aware of the ongoing politics and changes at the AGM asked about the ballot.
Both questions were asked of me from differing demographics, which is attributed to the circles that the two candidates move in.

Also calling one particular person out for that sort of comment, when the other person also made the same comment only a few posts before doesn't really ring fair to me...
Especially since 1 person saying it doesn't sound any less of an insult than the first comment, to me it just highlights the point that outside of the echo chamber of BCA politics, both candidates for the role were not that well known (if at all) outside of their particular groups as it were.

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2021, 05:58:53 pm »
I know it feels like a long time in politics, but it's only two & a half weeks ago...

Online Ian Ball

• forum hero
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2021, 07:35:11 pm »
5/312 of the term

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2021, 09:16:19 am »
Quote from: nearlywhite on November 03, 2021, 01:26:44 pm
with 53% of the vote
I don't think I've heard it mentioned here, but if 619 ballots were returned, does that mean that only about 1/10th of BCA's membership actually engaged with the ballot for what ever reasons.
(Assuming BCA is still sitting around the 6k mark on members... I don't know if there is somewhere this info is publicly available?)
Taking those rough figures does that actually give the incoming Chair about 1/20th support of the membership of BCA?

I really struggle to see why in this day and age, why the vote engagement of BCA is actually that low, especially when the average turnout for General Elections is 67.3%.
(I know there is more incentive to vote for national government than the BCA but still...)

Probably, a lot like me did not get any ballot papers, was it by post or by e-mail I guess they could have been in my e-mail junk? But how many people actually got their papers I wonder, was request read receipt turned on? I tend to not look at the political bitching much anymore on this forum, so I also have no idea what the ballot was about anyway.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Online Ian Ball

• forum hero
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2021, 10:04:46 am »
Good thing you didn't get your voting token then if you didn't understand what you're voting on ;-)

Offline Chocolate fireguard

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2021, 11:41:14 am »
Good thing you didn't get your voting token then if you didn't understand what you're voting on ;-)

You seem to be suggesting that people should spend time researching a question before voting on it. :o
Ridiculous - that's not how we got Brexit done!

Online aricooperdavis

• Global Moderator
  • forum star
  • Cornwall to Cumbria
    • Cooper-Davis.net
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2021, 12:15:38 pm »
Probably, a lot like me did not get any ballot papers, was it by post or by e-mail I guess they could have been in my e-mail junk?

Ballots were sent by email. We circulated info about the ballot and what to do if you didn't receive a ballot to all club secretaries to distribute to their members, on here, on our website, on social media, and through word of mouth.

But how many people actually got their papers I wonder, was request read receipt turned on?

Read receipts aren't handled well by many email clients, so they're not often used. You can use tracking pixels to collect data like this, but we didn't think it appropriate to be collecting (without the consent of the recipient) your IP address, what device you're using, your rough location, when you viewed the email etc. particularly for an anonymous ballot.

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2021, 01:31:55 pm »

Yeh, if I got the actual ballot I would have looked it up.

Prob in spam folder etc, not your fault. I was just wondering if that's why you only got 10% turn out and wondering if you did keep any statistics, which is no.

Having now had a brief look at what we are voting on, it's really not very interesting is it? It seems a lot of people don't seem to understand what the actual change was looking at https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=28674.0. Maybe this needs to be addressed. Anyway not having a go, just explaining why it might be 10% turn out.

So yeh prob best I did not vote anyway, unless I was actually in the meetings to understand what's being asked but I avoid all committee meetings like the plague. Rather go caving lol.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Online Ian Ball

• forum hero
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2021, 02:50:36 pm »
You could always abstain.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal