Author Topic: Bad Air in Long Rake Mine, Bradwell Moor  (Read 23236 times)

Online AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
Re: Bad Air in Long Rake Mine, Bradwell Moor
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2012, 02:03:57 pm »
The landowner can give you permission to cross their land to the shaft, but if the mineral rights are actively held by someone else then the mine would be theirs. Where there are lead-bearing veins around a quarry in the Peak, you'll usually find the quarrying company has claimed title to them to prevent any possible expansion from being hindered by someone else having the working rights to the vein minerals.
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline nickwilliams

• forum hero
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2012, 04:37:43 pm »
There has been no change in the situation w.r.t. Long Rake Founder Shaft. Probably best not to say more on an open forum, but people are welcome to contact me privately if they wish to discuss.

IIRC, PDMHS have a lease on Bird Mine. But I could be wrong.

As risk of being accused of being a pendant by AR, and speaking as both a mine owner and a mineral rights holder, ownership of a mine and ownership (or lease) of the mineral rights are not the same thing. Mining and quarrying companies have to pay the mineral rights owner (and continue to pay them), they can't just claim rights and then sit on them. As a mineral rights owner you can lease the rights for different minerals to different extraction companies if you want to (although this might be tricky in practice). It is, however, fairly common for one extraction company to pay multiple mineral rights holders for rights to extract different minerals from the same hole.

(To be fair to AR, I think he knows this, it's just a more complex position than can be expressed in a couple of lines in a forum post!)

Nick.
"Economics is simply the branch of sociology that deals with people trading items and the fact that they use more numbers does not make it anymore of a science."

Online AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2012, 08:52:35 am »
I was more thinking of the issue that could arise with someone claiming the lead rights under the 1851 or 1852 acts, while the rights to the gangue minerals are in different hands, which could enable the owner of the lead rights to prevent the gangue being mined without their consent. I agree you can't really sum the legal nuances and centuries of precedent in the Barmote court up in a few lines....

For the record, PDMHS do not and have not had any sort of lease on Bird Mine. Until recently, we had a licence to conserve the surface remains at New Venture, but that licence was explicitly not a lease and it also stated we could only go into the workings if we wrote to the quarry manager to request permission on every occasion we wished to do so. With collapses observed at surface and an even greater risk of encountering CO than in LRF, it was decided that we weren't even going to think about asking for permission to go down until the area of quarry adjacent had stopped working and any unstable deads underground would hopefully have felt the call of gravity.....
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2020, 12:54:40 pm »
2008 for the original issue, and 8 years since an update here...
Any updates, news or hopes for reopening?

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
  • DCA, PICA, TSG, DCRO, PDMHS, DCMC, YSS
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2020, 01:22:33 pm »
Nope.

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2020, 03:32:04 pm »
Such a loss.....  :thumbsdown:
The end is where we start....

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2020, 03:39:05 pm »
I heard a rumour a while ago that the landowner, who also owns the workings on Moss Rake west of Batham Gate was looking to sell some of this land. It's utterly worthless land for grazing, mining or just about anything now (Moss Rake at least). I don't think he owns the quarry east of Batham Gate. I've still never been down Long Rake so I personally think it's about time someone started pestering again. There should be a gas check anyway, as it's long overdue.

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
  • DCA, PICA, TSG, DCRO, PDMHS, DCMC, YSS
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2020, 04:40:19 pm »
2008 for the original issue, and 8 years since an update here...
Any updates, news or hopes for reopening?
I should also say that DCA has not forgotten this place and there have been discussions about options here. For the time being though, you'll have to be patient as the situation remains unchanged.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search