Author Topic: Cornish caves?  (Read 13007 times)

Offline Coxie

• menacing presence
Cornish caves?
« on: December 16, 2008, 04:01:54 pm »
Hi Folks,

I had my first caving experience last week over at Pridhamsleigh and it was awesome... I have another 6 trips booked in early next year planning to take in Prid a couple more times, Bakers Pit and Swildons.

I live in Redruth, Cornwall and I have searched various forums to find out if there's anything in my local area...

Am I right in thinking that my closest subterranean paradise is Southern Devon or are there some well kept secrets closer to home?!?

Any Info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
Soupy Norman lives on!

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
  • UBSS, Speleo-Club de Perigueux, GSG, SUI
    • UBSS
Re: Cornish caves?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:07:25 pm »
Hi Coxie and welcome to the site.

Sadly, for you, the geology of Cornwall is not exactly conducive to cave formation. As you rightly say, however, there is plenty of good stuff not so far away in Devon.
Caving is for Life not just for Christmas

Offline Christian_Chourot

• obsessive maniac
  • UBSS
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 04:31:10 pm »
there is plenty of good stuff not so far away in Devon.

When were all these good caves discovered? Why didn't anyone tell me!? I thought that there were only 3 good ones, one of which has fluorescent lighting, wheelchair access and bear sound effects.

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 04:31:33 pm »
Although Cornwall is lacking natural caves, it is blessed with thousands of underground sites of interest in the form of the old mines. These may not be of interest to you, or again they maybe - there is a lot of common ground in the exploration of both. From my limited knowledge of the mines there, most will require the use of ropes to a greater or lesser degree, and the ability to cope with hazards like false floors, rotting timbers, bad air, etc...
Check out some of the content and pics on the mine exploration sites such as http://www.aditnow.co.uk/default.aspx or http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk/default.asp. If it is only the natural that flicks your switch, you will have to put with commuting up the A30...

Dear Noel Axle

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 04:41:18 pm »
Christian, you have been missing out.  Get yourself a copy of Concise Caves of Devon and enjoy!

AH

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
    • UBSS
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 04:47:44 pm »
there is plenty of good stuff not so far away in Devon.

When were all these good caves discovered? Why didn't anyone tell me!? I thought that there were only 3 good ones, one of which has fluorescent lighting, wheelchair access and bear sound effects.

Coo, it didn't have the bear sounds when I were last there. Must go again.

Offline Christian_Chourot

• obsessive maniac
  • UBSS
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 04:50:59 pm »
Concise Caves of Devon

Concise? The book or the caves?  :tease:

Can I have a to do list? I've only been to Baker's pit and I know Prid is supposed to be good but other than that? I live near Exeter when I'm not at uni so I would like to find some good caves in Devon!

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
    • UBSS
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 04:53:47 pm »
There is a copy of that book in our Library but I would not rely on it, it's long out of date and wasn't particularly good on the details even when new. I can find you some hilarious reviews of it, when it was first published.

Offline Coxie

• menacing presence
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 07:03:57 pm »
Christian, you have been missing out.  Get yourself a copy of Concise Caves of Devon and enjoy!

AH

Is this book out of print? I can't seem to find it anywhere, plenty of references though.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will check out those links too... Mines sound a bit dodgy to me though!

Paul
Soupy Norman lives on!

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
    • UBSS
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 07:05:50 pm »
No book from that source has ever been out of print.  :lol: :lol:

JasonL

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 08:14:13 pm »
well.. just across the river tamar....... in plymouth.. theres Radford.. i like radford.. and afton red rift.

Otherwise its just mines galore.. theres a certain charm to mines.. death charm.

Go cave with PCG (Plymouth caving group) they're an awesome bunch. Very tolerant even when i called them old folks. :halo: .. they cave on tuesday evenings.

- young punk from manchester.

Offline pete h

• stalker
  • WESSEX CAVE CLUB. U.B.S.S.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 09:46:28 pm »
You could also try the Devon SS   Les W and mrodoc could help you with contact names and address.

Offline rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • Russian, the best
    • http://www.showcaves.com
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 08:38:44 am »
Caves of Devon.  Yes there is a book.  Just revised and reprinted.  But I am not allowed to tell you about it   >:(

Offline Coxie

• menacing presence
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 09:47:42 am »
Caves of Devon.  Yes there is a book.  Just revised and reprinted.  But I am not allowed to tell you about it   >:(

Sounds a bit cloaks and daggers to me...   I do however think that I have found said book and am looking forward to recieving it.
 :tease:
Soupy Norman lives on!

Offline Coxie

• menacing presence
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 10:12:22 am »
Concise Caves of Devon

Concise? The book or the caves?  :tease:

Can I have a to do list? I've only been to Baker's pit and I know Prid is supposed to be good but other than that? I live near Exeter when I'm not at uni so I would like to find some good caves in Devon!

I would also appreciate a to do / tick list if anyone has any suggestions.
Soupy Norman lives on!

Offline gus horsley

• forum hero
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 12:27:50 pm »
Hi Coxie

I live in Newquay.  Sorry I can't take you underground (disability) but there are a number of groups who may be able to help, eg Plymouth Caving Group.  You could check out the Devon and Cornwall Underground Council website.

There's a few mines which only require basic equipment such as Cligga and adits near St Just but the majority of serious trips involve SRT etc.

There are no "proper" caves (limestone) in Cornwall but there are a few impressive sea caves which occasionally lead into mine workings such as Seal Hole (St Agnes) and Wheal Coates (also St Agnes). 

Offline Les W

• Hard cavin'
  • forum hero
  • Wessex Cave Club, UCET
    • Wessex Cave Club
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 08:18:32 pm »
There are no "proper" caves (limestone) in Cornwall

That's not strictly true Gus, the Consise Caves of Devon gives two limestone caves in Cornwall, Empacombe caves no's. 1 & 2.
Maybe not worth the commute but certainly worth a thought if passing (although where you were headed if you were passing is beyond me)

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=244425&y=52705&z=0&sv=sx44425270&st=5&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf
I'm a very busy person

Offline Coxie

• menacing presence
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 10:09:59 pm »
There are no "proper" caves (limestone) in Cornwall

That's not strictly true Gus, the Consise Caves of Devon gives two limestone caves in Cornwall, Empacombe caves no's. 1 & 2.
Maybe not worth the commute but certainly worth a thought if passing (although where you were headed if you were passing is beyond me)

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=244425&y=52705&z=0&sv=sx44425270&st=5&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf

Are they worth a look then?  I work in and around Plymouth.
Soupy Norman lives on!

Offline Les W

• Hard cavin'
  • forum hero
  • Wessex Cave Club, UCET
    • Wessex Cave Club
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 10:39:08 pm »
Caves are always worth a look  :thumbsup:
However, the Concise Caves of Devon (Including Cornwall  :lol: ) says:

Empacombe Caves
Cremyll, Cornwall

2 caves in a disused quarry, on the south bank of the Hamoaze, in the only outcrop of Middle Devonian Limestone in Cornwall.

Empacombe Cave No 1.
NGR SX 4442/5270 L 20 feet

A single solution tube which dips down to a sump, too tight after 10 feet

Empacombe Cave No 2.
NGR SX 4442/5270 L 50 feet

Above and to the left of Empacombe Cave No 1. An awkward entrance passage leads to a low chamber 12 feet long and 2 feet high. Another chamber with a pool adjoins and a passage heads towards the surface.

ACCESS - Permission to visit should be obtained from Empacombe Farm

My gut feeling is that you would only visit them once  ;D
But I might be wrong...
I'm a very busy person

Offline twiglet

• addict
  • Axbridge Caving Group
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 08:55:27 pm »
Hi Coxie,If you go to Holywell (between Perranporth & Newquay) there is an interesting sea cave with pink gour pools towards the northern end of the beach. It has a small stream emerging.Some of the caves on Perranporth beach are longer than the average sea cave and may have been mined. If you do visit them,go with a couple of mates,and dont get cut off by the tide !
BCFC Ciderred 4 ever !

Offline Coxie

• menacing presence
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 10:40:43 am »
Thanks everyone for youe advice and guidance... Its going to be an interesting year!

Paul
Soupy Norman lives on!

Offline rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • Russian, the best
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2017, 01:42:41 am »
There is a book on the Caves of Cornwall...

It is 80 pages long and still being added to  :o

Offline Debauchery down South

• Captain Crocs Official
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 10:05:27 pm »
Ohhhhhh ma gawwwwwwwwd if poking around in sea caves makes you a caver, I'll get my speedos on next time I go c*ving.

Cornwall is all about da mines, homie. In fact, it's the very geology that makes it rich in minerals that prohibits any caves from forming.

I personally think Oldham is being cheeky internet troll by calling his word doc book 'Caves of Cornwall'.  ;) Basically, it's what you get if you look at the OS landranger and start tapping away each time you see 'cave' mentioned... Trouble is most are mines or tumuli or just otherwise not caves, innit. The rest are fake, sea c*ves (tis a good bit of research, tho)

If you're a caver, we recommend you check your privilege before entering god's county. When you feel your white guilt has reached its apex and you feel ready to enter, check out the Cornwall Records Office for mine plans or any section of coastline between Perranuthnoe and Porthleven; Sennen to St Ives; or Hayle to Holywell and you'll be smitten with all the wet, gaping holes ready to enter. If anyone asks, say we sent you :ang:

Offline rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • Russian, the best
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2019, 03:52:52 pm »
Here are 7 real limestone caves in Cornwall.  There are many more, but you  need to buy the book:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273919581085?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

HOLYWELL CAVES
CAVES ON NORTH SIDE

Going from south to north

Cave 1 (Movies A/B) NGR
This is adjacent to Cave 2  This cave is about 10 ft high and 10 ft wide at the entrance with signs of stal on the rocks above the cave. 
 It goes back about 70 ft and is about 15 ft high.  There is a big wall of stal about 30 ft long, coming down into the cave

Cave 2 (Movie A ) NGR
50 yards down from Cave 1 and set back in a small bay.
 It has an entrance about 50 ft high and about 20 ft wide, and it goes back about 30 ft, and then continues under a small overhang into a small chamber, about 15 ft high  and 7 ft in diameter, with the remains of stalactites on the back wall. 

Cave 3 (Movie 9) NGR
Adjacent to Cave 2, a slot cave  goes up 30 ft back 15 ft and 3 ft wide.

Cave 4  (Movie 8) NGR
4 ft high and 4 ft wide 20yards from Cave 3

Cave 5 Rock Shelter  NGR
50 yards South  of Cave 6  Movie 7

Cave  6 NGR
50 yards north of Cave 5 Movie 6  A slot cave with a deep pool in the entrance, it has an entrance about 15 ft high and goes into a chamber about 4 ft round. 

CAVE 7
 HOLYWELL CAVE – (Movies 1,2,3,4,5)

Near the end of the cliffs on the north side of the bay above low water mark.  The cave is in a gully,  and it is easier to find by walking to near the end of the cliffs above low water mark, and looking back to spot the gully.  This is basically  a bedding  plane cave, with an entrance about  30 ft high.  The cave goes back for a further 40 ft and slopes up about another 30 ft on the northern side.

It is about 25 ft wide throughout with rough boulders in the floor.   In the entrance are a series of limestone pools for which the cave is famous.  Just visible outside the cave are a series of slippery steps leading up to these pools.

Although you can only get in the cave at low tide, if you were cut off it would be possible to climb up the grassy slope outside the cave and onto the coastal path which runs above.

CAVE ON SOUTH SIDE

Cave 1 Movie D 
The entrance is about 20 ft high and 10 ft wide and it goes back about 10 ft.

Cave 2 Movie F – a rock shelter

Cave 3 (Movies D/F )
This has a slot like entrance about 20 ft high and 10  ft wide and goes back about 30 ft.  There is red slime on the walls.   

Cave 4 ( Movie 10)

An entrance about 30 ft high  and about 10 ft high, goes back about 70 ft, with evidence of water having reached a high level.  A very clean sandy floor

Cave 5 (Movie 11 )
This is just a slot about 10 ft high going back about 4 feet.

Cave 6 (Movie 11)
This  has an entrance with water in it, about 20 ft high and 10 ft wide, and goes back about 20 ft.

Cave 7 Movie 11/12  This is a through cave.  The entrance is about 40 ft high and 20 ft wide  and goes back into a chamber with a small passage on the left which soon closes down.  The floor is rough boulders and scrambling over these you reach the second entrance or Cave 8 with an entrance 30 ft high and 20 ft wide.

Piper’s Hole (Movie 14)

An entrance about 40 ft highand 15 ft wide with pigeons nesting in it.  It closes down after about 30 ft where it is about 15 ft high.  The height of the passage in the cave is about 20 ft.

Movie 16 There is evidence of a cave on a small island just off the coast and on the north side of the bay but these caves are difficult of access