County Pot

Stu

Stop Pot. Is the fixed ladder still in place ie can I exit into west exiting passage into Main Line Terminus?

G

George North

Yep, the ladder is still there, and as far as I know there's no plans to remove it in the immediate future.

George.

Stu

Thinking about it, taking it out could potentially stuff any group caught out in rising water. As an aside, the flood escape route... up into the passage leading to carrot chamber. In the right wall slightly decorated floor passage which starts as a stoop lowering to a crawl onto mud which should enter Old English Chamber. Is the crawl really really tight, because there was very little chance of me getting through and I'm not huge? What did I miss?

G

George North

"Thinking about it, taking it out could potentially stuff any group caught out in rising water"
It's also very convenient! The water would have to be very high to make WR impassable though.

"In the right wall slightly decorated floor passage which starts as a stoop lowering to a crawl onto mud which should enter Old English Chamber. Is the crawl really really tight, because there was very little chance of me getting through and I'm not huge? What did I miss?"

The crawls probably about 14" high at it's narrowest - You'd have to be one hell of a chuffa not to fit through! It sounds as though you missed the slot up into Old E. C. - it's on the RHS. It's all fairly confusing just there though, so I'm not exactly certain.

C

Cave Ferret

stu said:
Thinking about it, taking it out could potentially stuff any group caught out in rising water. As an aside, the flood escape route... up into the passage leading to carrot chamber. In the right wall slightly decorated floor passage which starts as a stoop lowering to a crawl onto mud which should enter Old English Chamber. Is the crawl really really tight, because there was very little chance of me getting through and I'm not huge? What did I miss?

You dont' need to go to Carrot Chamber to get into Old English Chamber. From Main Line Terminus the route splits into two. Staying left leads to Carrot Chamber and the route I think you are describing (take passage on right over an ascending mud covered crystal floor, gradually lowering to a flat out crawl along a very low, wide, mud floored bedding). This route eventaully unites with the correct route just before the entry to Old English Chamber, so you can get there via this route, but it's the long way round!

The correct way is to stay right at the split, past the start of Main Line Passage on the right wall, and continue along the large walking passage, over and under various boulder obstacle. Eventually , the passage lowers until you reach a low, slightly muddy bedding. Crawl through (it's flat-out for two or three metres) keeping as far to the right as possible. You will then find a slot appears in the roof directly above you into Old English Chamber. If you veer left along the ovbious continuation you will end up in the low, wide bedding described above and back in Carrot Chamber!)

Cave Ferret

Stu

George North said:
The crawls probably about 14" high at it's narrowest - You'd have to be one hell of a chuffa not to fit through! It sounds as though you missed the slot up into Old E. C. - it's on the RHS. It's all fairly confusing just there though, so I'm not exactly certain.

Had the survey in front of me (which didn't always help, even with a little compass I take down) so fairly sure the orientation was correct and it seemed that the passage stayed at one level. Must admit didn't think to look up (which also almost got us at Poetic Justice - I'm sure the bruising will subside...one day).

Mr. Ferret. I'm going to try and follow your description with the survey in front of me. Cheers

Stu

Cave Ferret said:
stu said:

You dont' need to go to Carrot Chamber to get into Old English Chamber. From Main Line Terminus the route splits into two. Staying left leads to Carrot Chamber and the route I think you are describing (take passage on right over an ascending mud covered crystal floor, gradually lowering to a flat out crawl along a very low, wide, mud floored bedding). This route eventaully unites with the correct route just before the entry to Old English Chamber, so you can get there via this route, but it's the long way round!

The correct way is to stay right at the split, past the start of Main Line Passage on the right wall, and continue along the large walking passage, over and under various boulder obstacle. Eventually , the passage lowers until you reach a low, slightly muddy bedding. Crawl through (it's flat-out for two or three metres) keeping as far to the right as possible. You will then find a slot appears in the roof directly above you into Old English Chamber. If you veer left along the ovbious continuation you will end up in the low, wide bedding described above and back in Carrot Chamber!)

Cave Ferret

I've just re read and I think what your saying is - there are three passages on the right. I took the tight third (furthest from Terminus) passage but should have taken the second (middle) passage. The first (nearest) would take you all the way back behind you IIRC. Cheers, this makes sense though I was positive a description offered to me was the 3rd way...bastards!! :p

Getwet

Went down the flood escape route the other week for the first time, we approched from the County entrance end. After getting distracted by a tour towards the upper trident area ( or getting lost !) we eventually got as far as what I believe to be old English Chamber.

Is the route out of Old English Chamber at floor level alomg the right hand wall at the opposite end we entered from Spangle passage?

Also Is the going any easier between old English chamber towards main line terminus than it is along Spangle Passage between Brown and smelly Chamber and Old English Chamber ?

Thanks

C

Cave Ferret

Getwet said:
Is the route out of Old English Chamber at floor level alomg the right hand wall at the opposite end we entered from Spangle passage?

Yes.

Getwet said:
Also Is the going any easier between old English chamber towards main line terminus than it is along Spangle Passage between Brown and smelly Chamber and Old English Chamber ?

Thanks

When you drop down the slot out of Old English there is a very short flat out crawl before the passage attains large walking size proportions, all the way to Main Line Terminus. So, to answer your question, the going is a lot easier!

Cave Ferret