Author Topic: Moorhouse is back!  (Read 39105 times)

Offline kay

• Not a
  • forum hero
Re: Moorhouse is back!
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2009, 08:03:01 pm »
going to have to pull up the rules of the internet here.......

i think rule 20 applies kay......

You mean to your original? Fair enough. I've never been good at humour  ;)

Quote from: Bubba
Fair enough Kay, I know that you mean.

Thanks Bubba

george

« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2009, 10:10:41 pm »
Sorry to keep this going but my sheffield-residing brother sent me this. Is it a joke? If not it could be a good deal - a ladder with history!

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/46642/cat/7

Offline teabag

• addict
  • PDMHS ATAC
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2009, 10:47:57 pm »
You know what gets me down? - Abseiling

Offline Servo

• regular
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2009, 10:57:03 pm »
Turns out he likes to Twitter too: -

https://twitter.com/lohtse

Think my favourites are:
In need of a walking, caving, climbing partner.....
4:11 AM Aug 2nd from Echofon

and
What a great Caving trip. down there SOLO. As always P8 (in Peak district) provides a fine sporty trip. Wonderfully wet.
8:01 AM Aug 1st from TweetDeck

Offline Servo

• regular
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2009, 11:05:01 pm »
I think this is the most worrying:
http://www.recoveryourlife.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=102802
Dear sweet jesus, he is a complete loon!!!!

george

« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2009, 11:18:33 pm »
So the suicide stuff was last posted in June, so he obviously didn't do it as he put his ladder up for sale 2 days ago. Is he now a happier man? Is he content with life?
Has he got a new job (assuming the rescue stuff is just fantasy) - someone must work with him or for him or something, maybe things have picked up a little for Andrew.
How about his plans to finish off the 10 highest mountains in the world - how's that coming along?

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
  • Left ukcaving by this name
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2009, 11:20:08 pm »
I hope none of us ever have the misfortune to feel like that. I don't think people write stuff like that as a joke. On the home page of that online self-help community is the following:

"We strongly believe in an open and non-judgemental atmosphere which we feel has helped so many people already."

I wonder how some of the posts on here would go down if transposed to that site.

Offline teabag

• addict
  • PDMHS ATAC
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2009, 11:28:24 pm »
"In 1998 during a rescue she died. Myself, a colleague and Louise fell over 400ms, They died I didn't . Louise wasn't a member of my team but often turned out with us if she was with me. As the team leader I allowed her to help."
Is it just me or does this scare anyone else?
You know what gets me down? - Abseiling

Offline Servo

• regular
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2009, 11:53:49 pm »
"In 1998 during a rescue she died. Myself, a colleague and Louise fell over 400ms, They died I didn't . Louise wasn't a member of my team but often turned out with us if she was with me. As the team leader I allowed her to help."
A 400m fall is quite impressive. The average person will reach Terminal Velocity after about 3 seconds of free fall, at a speed of around 120 - 140mph and in a distance of only around 35m. Effectively you may as well have fallen from 10,000m as you would have still hit the ground the same!

scoobz

« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2009, 08:49:08 am »
I have been friends with Andrew for the past 4 months, and contrary to what people are saying in here, he is not "a complete loon". I can't believe what some people who have probably never met him are coming out with in here. He has obviously got problems, and coming in here to defend himself won't happen as most of the posters will know. So how about sticking to facts, and not resorting to insults and insinuations, or is this the level that this Forum normally lowers itself to?

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
  • Left ukcaving by this name
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2009, 10:36:02 am »
Hi Scoobz - by and large we are pretty much a level-headed online community. But, much as in any online forum, when the mob mentality kicks in, the inevitable result is some degree of character assassination from the minority. So yes, this Forum does descend to the level you describe, which is sad, but we are pretty well moderated, in fairness to the mods.

Offline Coxie

• menacing presence
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2009, 12:56:14 pm »

Setting up his rescue team is clearly a coping strategy for him to deal with his loss, whether it's realistic or not doesn't make any difference, he's dealing with it as best he can.

It would make sense that this recent incident was to stage a successful rescue, as was suggested earlier. Who knows how many times he has succeeded in doing this in order to deal with his issues.

There must be something we can do to get this guy some help.  He is a real risk to himself and unsuspecting others.

And yes he deserves some sympathy... It could happen to anyone of us and who's telling how we would deal with it.
Soupy Norman lives on!

Online Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2009, 01:43:15 pm »
A 400m fall is quite impressive. The average person will reach Terminal Velocity after about 3 seconds of free fall, at a speed of around 120 - 140mph and in a distance of only around 35m. Effectively you may as well have fallen from 10,000m as you would have still hit the ground the same!
I assumed this to mean either 400m of altitude, or perhaps 400m across the ground but not as freefall, perhaps down steep ground / snow-ice. To find a 400m freefall is quite an impressive undertaking but not at all impossible.

Offline david3392

• player
« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2009, 05:28:48 pm »
OK, enough is enough.  I'm talking about Turner's comments urging Mr Moorhouse to jump off Monsel (sic) viaduct.  Has anyone here actually worked in mental health? I spent 5 years working with MH crisis teams dealing with people like Mr Moorhouse on a daily basis. ANY suicide threat, no matter how manipulative, was taken very seriously as an indicator of ill health. I have been to more than one inquest where 'nobody thought he would actually DO it'. Making jokes and ridiculing thoughts and feelings can end in tragedy.  Shame on you for wishing death on a person you have probably never met and shame on this forum for allowing it to progress to this level.

While I'm at it, has anyone read the legal definition of slander/defamation? :read: It seems as if Mr Moorhouse has ample grounds for taking legal action if he wanted to.  Don't think the internet is immune from this.  I'm sure that administrators and owners of forums could face ruin if a case was proved.  It would be a shame to see this forum closed due to hysterical, abusive, threatening and non-regulated comments.  By the way, slander can be proved even when the facts may be correct. 

This current line of abuse and crude analysis of his mental health does us no favours and is already attracting attention from external forums and individuals.  Stop it now please.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 05:53:17 pm by david3392 »

Offline bubba

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2009, 05:41:07 pm »
Setting up his rescue team is clearly a coping strategy for him to deal with his loss
What loss? Did any of that really happen? It sounds made up to me tbh.

I have been friends with Andrew for the past 4 months, and contrary to what people are saying in here, he is not "a complete loon". I can't believe what some people who have probably never met him are coming out with in here.
So perhaps you can put the record straight then? What are his motives for preying on beginners and gaining their trust by giving them a misleading picture of his expertise, and inventing bogus credentials?
=:blubba:=

[ nsfw ]

Offline Turner

• addict
  • Highfield drive cave and climbingframe rescue
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2009, 05:44:21 pm »
OK, enough is enough.  I'm talking about Turner's comments urging Mr Moorhouse to jump off Monsel (sic) viaduct.

Hardly the case, get with it.....

my point was if he seriously wanted to do it he'd have done it.

All you have done is completely twisted the context of what i said....

born and bred in the peak district. not a scummy tourist :p

Offline martinr

• forum hero
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2009, 05:52:09 pm »

While I'm at it, has anyone read the legal definition of slander/defamation? :read: It seems as if Mr Moorhouse has ample grounds for taking legal action if he wanted to.  Don't think the internet is immune from this. 

See:
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article3677002.ece

Offline david3392

• player
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2009, 05:59:31 pm »
Thank you Martin :thumbsup: Of course I mean't libel and not slander. Read and heed everyone.

Offline Turner

• addict
  • Highfield drive cave and climbingframe rescue
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2009, 06:07:46 pm »
for casting an opinion? well.......

Still wouldnt trust him to take the dog for a walk.....

born and bred in the peak district. not a scummy tourist :p

Offline bubba

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2009, 06:11:32 pm »
OK, enough is enough.  I'm talking about Turner's comments urging Mr Moorhouse to jump off Monsel (sic) viaduct.
That post has been deleted - I agree, it was offensive. However, I personally don't believe what was posted on that support forum anyway - imo he's invented a tragic accident scenario in order to get sympathy, but hey, I guess it could all be true.

It seems as if Mr Moorhouse has ample grounds for taking legal action if he wanted to.  Don't think the internet is immune from this.  I'm sure that administrators and owners of forums could face ruin if a case was proved.  It would be a shame to see this forum closed due to hysterical, abusive, threatening and non-regulated comments.
Legal action against who exactly? And on what grounds exactly? He has no grounds for taking legal action against ukcaving imo - also read the registration agreement that everyone signed up to.
=:blubba:=

[ nsfw ]

Offline whitelackington

• forum hero
  • Pyrenees Potholer Digger
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2009, 06:17:08 pm »
If what I have read is true this man should be kept away from beginners and contributors to the thread could argue that they are performing a public service. I just wish some of them were not so obviously enjoying themselves: for the 2nd time this year on this part of the forum. I`m starting to feel sorry for Mr Moorhouse. It`s a bit like watching a Question Time audience and panel gang up on Nick Griffin. Or a foxhunt.

Hunting Nick Griffin with hounds, yes, I can see the fun in that.  :thumbsup:
Shame on you Graham  ::)

Offline david3392

• player
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2009, 06:28:18 pm »
Thanks bubba. I'm simply urging people to be be less vitriolic and abusive about this chap.  Martinr's link clearly shows we are to some risk.  I'm also concerned we are losing our sense of decency and fair play about our fellow human beings :halo: Regards, David

Online Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2009, 07:08:06 pm »
He has a right of reply, if he will not or can not make use of it perhaps those that know him could put his version of events and reasoning forward for balance. Is there any corroborative evidence for his claimed achievements or membership of particular groups? Can he substantiate his skills base he has claimed to have?
If as seems likely none of this can be shown, and given the indications of MH issues, what help could those that know him, or the rest of us, provide? Is there anything we can do to help him and prevent reoccurance of third parties being put at risk?
 :doubt: :blink:

Offline Coxie

• menacing presence
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2009, 07:20:03 pm »
Setting up his rescue team is clearly a coping strategy for him to deal with his loss
What loss? Did any of that really happen? It sounds made up to me tbh.

I really don't think you can discredit his post on that forum, it should be taken 100% seriously.  If he has sought help form the mental health sector in the past they probably aren't aware that he's endangered other people as information given to them would have been on his terms.

If they were aware would that have changed their response?
Soupy Norman lives on!

Stoneyman 1

« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2009, 07:56:40 pm »
David thank you. You have said what a number of people reading this thread must have thought.

I would not comment of Moorehouse's ability,activities or state of mind, to do so could leave me open to litigation. Because I have not meet him & am not in a position to form a judgment.

I would think that some of the comments on this forum could leave the people posting them in a similar position in a number of different ways, frightening. Being on the net does not allow people to make the kind of statements  expresses here, it is a public forum  open to anyone.  The administrates can not hide behind "a clause" in the registration as this could be challenged. They do have a responsibility.

Finally, this kind of pillorying of another human being is not acceptable, let have some decency. I suspect that people get carried away with the issue. Stop & thing please. You are not showing yourselves, this forum
 or the caving world in a good light. Please call a halt to this thread.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search