Author Topic: Moorhouse is back!  (Read 36164 times)

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
Re: Moorhouse is back!
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2014, 11:07:01 pm »
While the guy may well be a tosser of the first order...in what way is it caving related to have a thread specially set up so his (ex) girlfriends can register and slag him off???

;) :thumbsup:

Although the guy has been present on this site for 12 years and not been cornered yet??
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline Antwan

• junky
  • YSS
    • 3peaksuk.org
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2014, 09:21:12 am »
While the guy may well be a tosser of the first order...in what way is it caving related to have a thread specially set up so his (ex) girlfriends can register and slag him off???

;) :thumbsup:

Although the guy has been present on this site for 12 years and not been cornered yet??

He did get 'cornered' for certain issues though... You just cant keep folk locked up these days  :shrug:

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2014, 09:42:49 am »
Anyone know which pub in Sheffield he does his recruiting?. I'd like him to take this totally inexperienced pensioner caving. :unsure:
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline ah147

• forum star
Moorhouse is back!
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2014, 06:08:09 pm »
Was going to write a long post explaining my intentions. But instead I'll simply say I wish no harm on the guy. Can anyone PM me any sort of contact details for him?

Several people who I know are definitely reading this who know who I am can Facebook/text/ring/email me to ask the intention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ah147

• forum star
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2014, 09:12:55 pm »

On another note, Jason it's not you is it? :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jasonbirder

• forum star
  • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2014, 10:41:31 pm »
 :chair:

Offline Mark

• forum hero
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2014, 08:04:50 am »
Apparently Moorhouse was the reason behind the call out to Devonshire cavern, in the middle of  Keith's Wake

Offline jonnyrocketboots

• menacing presence
  • Keep the dream alive: Hit the snooze button
« Reply #182 on: May 04, 2014, 10:42:50 am »
Apparently Moorhouse was the reason behind the call out to Devonshire cavern, in the middle of  Keith's Wake
Devonshire?? What on earth can go so wrong in there to warrant a call out?  FFS!!
My people also have a claim upon the riches in that mountain.

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2014, 11:31:09 am »
Devonshire has a lot of places you could come to grief quite easily if you're off the routes approved for centre use, for example the topmost updip workings, especially if you try and get directly to them over the breakdown.
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
  • Peak Instruction, DCMC, DCA, PICA, TSG, DCRO
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #184 on: May 05, 2014, 01:58:04 pm »
If the gentleman was either voluntarily or for-profit 'leading' a group/individual down there and was off route or without a paid copy of the certified mine inspectors report I should imagine that the HSE may need a word. If he was acting 'professionally' (in the broadest sense of the word) then the mines legislation might just be a way of getting something legal to stick to this character.
(I was neither there nor do I know any more than in this thread.)

Offline Mark

• forum hero
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #185 on: May 05, 2014, 06:13:39 pm »
or without a paid copy of the certified mine inspectors report

Who is this mines inspector I keep hearing about

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #186 on: May 05, 2014, 06:23:46 pm »
The mines inspections are organised through PICA and are a requirement for anyone leading in a mine professionally, regardless of whether they charge or not. A mine must have a valid inspection report to be deemed appropriate for group use. Only those inspected for this purpose may be used.
PICA organise an inspection every year and have a dozen or so sites on their list which get inspected anywhere from bi-annually to as and when change occurs.

Offline TheBitterEnd

• forum hero
  • KCC
    • KCC - Join an active club
« Reply #187 on: May 05, 2014, 08:33:06 pm »
Sorry to be a bit pedantic but officially the Mines Inspectorate http://www.hse.gov.uk/mining/contacts.htm is now a branch of the HSE, it used to be a separate body set up under the Mines and Quarries Act. By-and-large it deals with working mines but has some duties for abandoned mines and tips.
'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.' — Mark Twain

Offline mmilner

• Experienced digging / conservation juggling
  • forum hero
  • Outside Handshake Cave, Manifold Valley.
    • Darfar P.C. web site
« Reply #188 on: May 05, 2014, 09:17:02 pm »
The mines inspections are organised through PICA and are a requirement for anyone leading in a mine professionally, regardless of whether they charge or not. A mine must have a valid inspection report to be deemed appropriate for group use. Only those inspected for this purpose may be used.
PICA organise an inspection every year and have a dozen or so sites on their list which get inspected anywhere from bi-annually to as and when change occurs.

Hi Pete. Ok, a couple of questions:-

1. What do they define as 'leading in a mine professionally'? (Esp. if no charge is made.)

Eg:- If I were to lead a bunch (group) of peeps down Hillocks for example?

2. Can we see a list of this 'dozen or so sites'?

Regards, Mel.
Norbert Casteret (Ten Years Under the Earth) and Pierre Chevalier (Subterranean Climbers) were my inspiration to start caving. (And I'm still doing it.) Secretary, Darfar Potholing Club, the Peak District.

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #189 on: May 05, 2014, 09:29:39 pm »
Hi Mel.
I think it mainly concerns under 18s primarily but as far as I'm aware, anyone operating with a qualification falls under the legislation. I'd contact Graham Jones at PICA if you want an iron clad definition.
The list should also be available from that source, however the inspection report will be charged for. If you have a specific venue in mind PM me or start a new thread.

Back on topic......

Offline Oceanrower

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2019, 09:43:51 pm »
Hi Mel.
I think it mainly concerns under 18s primarily but as far as I'm aware, anyone operating with a qualification falls under the legislation. I'd contact Graham Jones at PICA if you want an iron clad definition.
The list should also be available from that source, however the inspection report will be charged for. If you have a specific venue in mind PM me or start a new thread.

Back on topic......

And, if you're operating without a qualification? Which is perfectly legal, even if you are charging...

Offline moorebooks

• forum star
« Reply #192 on: October 13, 2019, 09:17:35 am »
Sorry to be a bit pedantic but officially the Mines Inspectorate http://www.hse.gov.uk/mining/contacts.htm is now a branch of the HSE, it used to be a separate body set up under the Mines and Quarries Act. By-and-large it deals with working mines but has some duties for abandoned mines and tips.

The definition of a working mine for leisure use is fine if you are a club or group of individuals exploring and enjoying the hobby.The same  If its a caver taking some mates on a casual visit and presuming you haven't been  negligent in any way .  Assuming there no access issues  and usual things with bats etc you just get on with it.

However, if you are leading Joe Public around a mine then the legislation and expectations are greater. It  also  becomes a working mine regardless of payment.  Its also not considering  it as an in production mine!!  The burden of responsibility and duty of care  lands on the person  doing the guiding professionally or otherwise

Mike