Author Topic: EPC - Discovery of the Decade  (Read 2100 times)

Offline danthecavingman

• forum star
  • Don't follow too close.....
EPC - Discovery of the Decade
« on: November 15, 2021, 01:13:26 pm »
Afternoon,

Reading the latest updates on the Eldon digs in Cussey Pot, mention is made of digging a passage towards the 'Discovery of the Decade'.
Has something new been found in Stoney / Eyam that I'm not up to speed with?

Cheers,

Dan.
You see that Taxus baccata.........that's Yew that is........

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
Re: EPC - Discovery of the Decade
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 01:40:55 pm »
Unfortunately it's not our news to release, however i can confirm there will be a sneak preview in the next Descent issue...
The end is where we start....

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 07:10:36 pm »
Would this be the Stoney Mastercave as discovered by the divers and reported in Descent?
Is there a dry entrance yet?

Offline 2xw

• junky
  • YUCPC, SUSS
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 07:36:18 pm »
The white rake dig probably plops you in an airbell if you're bubble club inclined.

Personally I can't wait for the Hungerhill - Rock Cottage through trip :p

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 07:47:10 pm »
... Is there a dry entrance yet?
No, not yet.....

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 07:51:16 pm »
... Personally I can't wait for the Hungerhill - Rock Cottage through trip :p
Na, only ~300m of gap missing between Hungerhill and Doom. Much more enticing is Waterfall Hole.... 

Offline Cantclimbtom

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 08:02:28 pm »
I'm intrigued but patient, if the news is that big I'm sure it will be announced when ready. I was wondering if it was related to something  in the background of a photo in the previous Descent, but we shall see..?
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline danthecavingman

• forum star
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 09:25:06 pm »
Not got Descent but this sounds intriguing. Has the Boil Up sump finally been passed to an upstream continuation?

D.

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 09:57:34 pm »
Apparently so after a an additional 75m, then 250m of dry to a 27m sump into the master cave with extensive walking passage up and downstream...

Offline alastairgott

• forum hero
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 10:49:35 pm »
... Is there a dry entrance yet?
No, not yet.....

Is there a gloopy grey muddy dig yet? so gloopy and grey it covers you from head to toe?

Offline 2xw

• junky
  • YUCPC, SUSS
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 12:27:09 am »
It's clear to me that the master system is simply the downstream continuation of the dig in layby shelter, and we were only ever meters from glory.

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 08:25:16 am »
It's clear to me that the master system is simply the downstream continuation of the dig in layby shelter, and we were only ever meters from glory.
Just a shame you were digging upstream then...

Offline martinb

• forum star
  • In Normandy, France, not close to Limestone
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 09:18:40 am »
Just a shame you were digging upstream then...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So John Beck was right, there IS a Stoney Middleton Master cave - so Rob, are you going to call it 'Discovery of the Decade, John Beck was always correct'?  :shrug:

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2021, 09:55:35 am »
Just to reiterate, this discovery was not by me or the Eldon. All congratulations go to the divers, primarily Rob Middleton  :clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:

Offline Andy Farrant

• menacing presence
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2021, 10:59:36 am »
Perhaps it should be called the 'Beck streamway' or the 'Stoney Middleton Beck', after all, Beck is another name for a stream.

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2021, 11:32:24 am »
That's a nice idea, but I'd guess that John would not want his name to this bit of cave, even if done subtly. Whilst he did dedicate his life to understanding the caves and hydrology of the Stoney Middleton catchment and importantly did an incredible job of documenting all manner of details along the way (some of which was helpful for this project in question), he probably was not the first person to presume that the passages of Carlswark continued further upstream beyond the known sumps and blockages.

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2021, 12:36:55 pm »
I remember listening to stories in the Miners Arms from Mark Noble, John Beck and co. about the 'boil up' and back end of this system but never really understood how things fitted together (all faded memories now).  Looking forward to hearing more about it now and congratulations to those involved - whatever it is.  :clap2:

Offline jasonbirder

• forum star
  • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2021, 01:55:03 pm »
As someone who has spent far too much time in horrible muddy Stony Middleton caves and twisted my friends arms so many times to do Waterfall/Hungerhill trips...i'm looking forward to hearing more...

Though I do wonder why in the 21st Century a PAPER magazine (didn't even know they still existed tbh) gets to embargo what is essentially news and should be freely shared?

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2021, 04:38:36 pm »
Congratulations to all involed in this discovery.

Well, I don’t know what this ‘embargo’ is about, but I think that PAPER papers, magazines and books are great. You can pick ’em up and put ’em down at will, they don’t depend on external (or internal) sources of power . . . and in the event of a big storm that takes out your electricity, you can dig out your caving helmet/lamp and have a good read.

Offline danthecavingman

• forum star
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2021, 05:23:16 pm »
As for naming the new streamway, surely "The Middleton Master Cave" or "Middleton's Master Cave" as an ambiguous reference to both the discoverer and the catchment?

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 05:24:29 pm »
Though I do wonder why in the 21st Century a PAPER magazine (didn't even know they still existed tbh) gets to embargo what is essentially news and should be freely shared?

Of course paper magazines still exist even if you can often also get digital versions. Obviously you've not been in a newsagents recently. :)  And long may paper editions continue for those who want them.

The news appeared in Descent presumably because that's where the informant sent the article initially. The news is now being shared here freely and can also be shared anywhere else.
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Online AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2021, 05:29:12 pm »

Have you considered that maybe the discoverers wanted the release of the news to come out in Descent first? As for the reason why paper publications still exist, it's because digital data is a lot less durable than most people realise...
Dirty old mines need love too....

Online JonP

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2021, 05:56:20 pm »
It all depends on how people feel on releasing information I guess. As mentioned some people like the news to be released via Descent which was the only source of news a little while ago other than word of mouth and people still appreciate holding information back for the latest issue of descent. As you can tell from how this post started EPC are very open with all our explorations and release a trip report every week. Anyone’s welcome to see what we do as long as they look in the right place. If anything this shows that people do actually read our endeavors hence the slip up of “Discovery of the Decade” it wasn’t my news to share so I kept it at that to hopefully excite and draw in some readers.

As for the paper/electronic debate… we have released updates on here if we’ve felt they were significant. Most of the stuff we find is scraps here and there and more mine than cave so doesn’t feel like it warrants it somewhat as we’d be posting every week but where’s the line between significant and insignificant?

Offline Mark

• forum hero
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2021, 07:38:55 pm »
As for naming the new streamway, surely "The Middleton Master Cave" or "Middleton's Master Cave" as an ambiguous reference to both the discoverer and the catchment?

Technically it should be the "Hucklow Edge Master Cave", as the main conduit down Middleton Dale is the Lay-by, Streaks, Merlin, Carlswark route

Online JonP

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2021, 11:18:04 am »
Found a big chamber last night in Cussey! Just sayin...

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal