Digging in the Mendips

Poigol5043

I'm trying to find out if theres anyone still digging in the mendips and how I can join them!
I've just moved to Bognor Regis and need to find a muddy hole or 2 to scrape around in!
Anyone that knows anyone get in touch

ZombieCake

Mendip without digging would be like a brewery without beer!  Contact some of the locally based clubs, e.g. Mendip Caving Group, Wessex, BEC, Shepton, MNRC, etc. etc.
A lot have clubs huts on Mendip but access is restricted at present.

PeteHall

There are plenty of active digs in the area. Mostly weekday evenings.

I'm not too sure if Covid has increased or decreased the amount of digging overall. For me, it's meant more digging as there is nothing else to do and with no pub to go to, we've Bee digging later into the evening without the worry of missing closing time.

Most diggers would welcome some extra help but some digs are more technical than others to get to, so depending on your current fitness, size and experience, some digs may be more or less suitable.

We currently have one dig down a pretty narrow and torturous entrance series and another that's underwater. We could use some help at the former, but that help would need to be able to get themselves into and out of the cave without assistance, preferably carrying a bag of tools.

It would probably be best to get to know some local cavers through a club and if you're keen to dig, it won't take long before someone has roped you into a project.

Quite a drive from Bognor Regis though, so evenings probably aren't ideal.

Portland may be easier for you?

The Old Ruminator

"The Tuesday Diggers" are still going but we tend to be very old retired people who like to escape from the home on Tuesdays when Matron has a day off. Sadly you have to be over 70 to qualify.

PeteHall

I recall a video at Hidden Earth(?) a few years ago, including a clip of Dave Ryall(?) towing a kids sledge with a pair a cylinders between sumps. Clearly a versatile piece of caving equipment!  ;)

mrodoc

it will go up a reasonable slope without spoil falling out and if does it means you have overloaded it!

Poigol5043

Thanks for all the info!
It's much more active than I'd expected! I've messaged a couple of you and hopefully I'll see you underground sometime!
These caves all sound pretty exciting at the moment, the only place ive been so far is goatchruch, which in all honesty was a bit underwhelming...
Looking forward to the caves and the sledding :D

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
PeteHall said:
I recall a video at Hidden Earth(?) a few years ago, including a clip of Dave Ryall(?) towing a kids sledge with a pair a cylinders between sumps. Clearly a versatile piece of caving equipment!  ;)

In Penyghent pot at the start of the ?long crawl? there are a selection of ?drag trays? complete with bungee straps to hold down your kit. Makes dragging kit much easier and saves wear and tear on your bags.

Elaine

Axbridge Caving Group dig on Saturdays. West Mendip, but they do make the odd breakthrough. Let me know if you want to know who to contact.