Author Topic: Smoking Weed Underground  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
  • Bronze, Silver & Gold Swimming Certificates, WGAS
Smoking Weed Underground
« on: May 16, 2021, 05:48:40 pm »
Apparently smoking weed is a hot thing now under ground not cigarettes or pipes, and having said that Holme Bank always stinks of the stuff nowadays   :annoyed:
I dont know where I am going, but will know where I am when I get there.

Offline Cantclimbtom

• addict
Re: Smoking Weed Underground
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 07:26:08 pm »
The youth of today, what a disgrace!

That would never have happened back in the day, what... Wait a minute..!
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 08:16:18 pm »
Not so much cavers / mine explorers nowadays, but people looking for somewhere secluded.

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 08:49:31 pm »
Cumberland Cavern has a long history in that respect! :lol:
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 09:26:36 pm »
Not so much cavers / mine explorers nowadays, but people looking for somewhere secluded.

A bit like staying at a Premier Inn  ;D

And it seems one of our artistes is still going:

https://www.zed.tours/category/by-zeman-mccreadie/

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
  • Bronze, Silver & Gold Swimming Certificates, WGAS
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 07:45:11 am »

A bit like staying at a Premier Inn  ;D

And it seems one of our artistes is still going:

https://www.zed.tours/category/by-zeman-mccreadie/

Yes that place is very interesting , probably our closest. Have you ever come across what looks like a drug cook up pot ?
I dont know where I am going, but will know where I am when I get there.

Offline Down and beyond

• menacing presence
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 08:16:32 am »
“Drug cook up pot “ I have seen one suspect it was for making a mushroom brew  :lol:

Offline cavemanmike

• forum star
  • ucet
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 08:16:37 am »
It's not just underground. I was on crib goch a while ago and came across half a dozen lads stoned out of their heads

Offline Cantclimbtom

• addict
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 09:38:50 am »
Wasn't there a rescue recentishly where 2 uninjured men were stranded on the heather terrace path where one had managed up that far but was just too tired to get down again. Maybe some lucozade, a Bombay bad boy pot noodle and a couple of snickers bars was what they really needed

Offline Down and beyond

• menacing presence
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 09:49:31 am »
I no many weed smokers from caving, Landrover’s  hiking and various other hobbies I do not think scrutinising anyone for what they choose to do is correct , all of the people I no who do it are great and it doesn’t affect them at all they have to do it to feel Normal now it’s more of a shame than anything and I feel sorry for them , if they choose to walk around a cave /mine stoned out their box maybe it’s because of anxiety and they feel on edge without it so it’s their only way ? Either way if it doesn’t affect me I couldn’t care as long as they don’t leave rubbish and follow the standard rules  :thumbsup:

Offline cavemanmike

• forum star
  • ucet
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 11:48:48 am »
Cave rescue would love that.
There's safer places to smoke dope "man"

Offline ILT

• regular
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 12:05:30 pm »
I no many weed smokers from caving, Landrover’s  hiking and various other hobbies I do not think scrutinising anyone for what they choose to do is correct , all of the people I no who do it are great and it doesn’t affect them at all they have to do it to feel Normal now it’s more of a shame than anything and I feel sorry for them , if they choose to walk around a cave /mine stoned out their box maybe it’s because of anxiety and they feel on edge without it so it’s their only way ? Either way if it doesn’t affect me I couldn’t care as long as they don’t leave rubbish and follow the standard rules  :thumbsup:

Going underground when or to get intoxicated is foolish at the very least. It endangers their lives and the lives of those around them.
Endangering their lives is all very well but it's likely to have a knock on effect and put others in danger - underground when police, cave rescue, paramedics etc. are called, when they wobble out/down and fall, when they get in their missile and drive it.

Doesn't affect them - utter rubbish. The moment they take a draught of their drug of choice their judgement will start to be compromised. Slowed response to risks, over confidence, balance starting to become impaired etc.

Doesn't affect you? What if it's you that gets hurt as a result of their lack of judgement (I was going to say stupidity)? How about loss of access to the wider more responsible community? Due to a public outcry after a death or emergency services bean-counters realising how much money was spent recovering someone?

Extreme outcomes perhaps but ones that are easily avoided by using common sense.

Offline Fishes

• stalker
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 12:11:44 pm »
There has been a long history of people smoking weed underground. In my experience it is much less common now than it used to be, just as smoking tobacco is less common.

I'm not aware of it causing any cave rescues.

Offline Cantclimbtom

• addict
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 12:23:47 pm »
Although I don't smoke (tobacco or other) there is some analogy to alcohol.  (Edit: no longer smoke)
Last night I had 1 small/stingy measure of Rye, I didn't drink the bottle become a danger to myself and others, become fighting drunk or any of that, quantity is one consideration.

I'm certainly not endorsing people doing it, but I do know some people who have had a small and weak one at times, that won't cause a particular danger. That's a very different situation to someone deciding to have a heavy smoke in a hazardous situation (which is obviously reprehensibly stupid). It would be helpful to distinguish between those two situations, as we're in danger of considering all smoking in terms of "Reefer Madness"

Live and let live -- providing they don't endanger themselves, others, or generally spoil it for everyone else.

Offline Ian Adams

• forum hero
  • UCET
    • UCET Caving Club (North Wales)
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 01:04:12 pm »
Seriously?

Are there any clubs that condone or allow the use of alcohol and/or drugs underground on club trips?

This is our club's policy ... I would be surprised if this is any different for any other club  :spank:

A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction.

Offline Down and beyond

• menacing presence
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2021, 01:18:12 pm »
Have met many groups over the recent years a large amount of people still smoke it underground to be honest I thought it was common ! Me and the lads I travel with we do not but I have to admit I have also met people from well known cave rescue clubs who smoke it all day while doing their usual round trips .

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • ChCC, WCC, SWCC, WCDG
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 01:26:54 pm »
Are there any clubs that condone or allow the use of alcohol and/or drugs underground on club trips?

While the pubs were closed and the weather was inappropriate for a post-cave pint outside, we decided to have a beer and chocolate brownie in the entrance chamber after our trip on one occasion. This was very much enjoyed and rounded off the trip nicely.  :beer2:

Although I don't smoke (tobacco or other) there is some analogy to alcohol.  (Edit: no longer smoke)
I do know some people who have had a small and weak one at times, that won't cause a particular danger. That's a very different situation to someone deciding to have a heavy smoke in a hazardous situation (which is obviously reprehensibly stupid).

I suppose this is akin to having a pint before driving home vs getting pissed up before driving home. The former is perhaps frowned upon more than it once was, but perfectly legal and can be done in a responsible way. The latter is illegal and completely reckless, even if there is "only a mile or two home".

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 01:35:13 pm »
As the policy is written, those affected by the misdemeanours of others get disciplined!

Offline Cantclimbtom

• addict
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 01:36:00 pm »
..., we decided to have a beer and chocolate brownie in the entrance chamber after our trip on one occasion. This was very much enjoyed and rounded off the trip nicely.  :beer2:....
Agree, and in my avatar that's a single can of Brewdog Punk IPA being consumed outdoors (although I prefer a dead pony club, but the Co-op no longer sell it)

Offline Down and beyond

• menacing presence
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 01:53:43 pm »
Very fair comments .

I believe it will always happen and always has , if you kick the weed smokers out the club they will always join another or just go with each other , end of the day it’s a shame because their just people that need help to get over it in my view  :thumbsup:

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 01:59:31 pm »
The potential problem is that there are more inexperienced people going underground just to smoke weed, as they think they are hidden from the rest of society.

Offline Ian Adams

• forum hero
  • UCET
    • UCET Caving Club (North Wales)
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 02:39:59 pm »
There is also a serious legal consideration to take account of.

In the case of an incident underground, with amateur clubs (assuming my knowledge of this is correct), a court of law may apportion “blame” according to the experience/skill sets of those people on the trip.

I “think” this means that a qualified leader could be held the most culpable, followed by those most experienced. Please correct this if that statement is inaccurate.

If there were to be an incident and the leader/most experienced person were aware that party members were “under the influence”, I can only imagine a court would take a very dim view of that.

Also importantly, would it be grounds for an insurer to repudiate a claim?

Ian

A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 02:47:44 pm »
Pretty much, but you have a far greater duty of care towards inexperienced members than you do to regular companions, or other people you meet along the way.

Offline Cantclimbtom

• addict
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 03:25:41 pm »
I'm probably guilty of doing this (above), but aren't we are jumbling 2 issues entirely?

Is this thread about people who participate in mine exploration, caving and suchlike who are smoking in the course of this - in which case we have the legal considerations of leaders, Stoned Rope Technique, etc
Or are we talking about people who aren't explorers (cave or mine) who are primarily going there to have a smoke

Offline Flotsam

• regular
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2021, 03:41:02 pm »
Frank Brown (now sadly deceased) of the DCC was king smoker, an "addict" only in the sense that weed was as essential to his life as oxygen, water and food. He was a very keen caver and was on Ken Pearce's diving expeditition to the Berger in 1963 for example. He always smoked on his trips and even on major foreign expeditions. He picked up a tip from Casteret's book. He took tobacco tin drilled a hole in the end fitted a cork with a needle on the inside, he would then fill the tin with pre-rolled joints which he could extract with the needle without wetting them. When he had a back issue, in hospital in full traction, he managed to roll up and smake in a ward full of people by blowing the smoke into one of the bed tubes. A character.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal