Author Topic: Smoking Weed Underground  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
  • Bronze, Silver & Gold Swimming Certificates
Re: Smoking Weed Underground
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2021, 04:33:12 pm »
There is also a serious legal consideration to take account of.

In the case of an incident underground, with amateur clubs (assuming my knowledge of this is correct), a court of law may apportion “blame” according to the experience/skill sets of those people on the trip.

I “think” this means that a qualified leader could be held the most culpable, followed by those most experienced. Please correct this if that statement is inaccurate.

If there were to be an incident and the leader/most experienced person were aware that party members were “under the influence”, I can only imagine a court would take a very dim view of that.

Also importantly, would it be grounds for an insurer to repudiate a claim?

Ian

Well put Ian, at the end of the day weed is illegal in the UK unless you are going to be the first one to have it on prescription, as of yet according to my GP nobody has had it prescribed . I also used to smoke back in the day ( tobacco ) when it was considered good for you     :lol: :doubt:
I dont know where I am going, but will know where I am when I get there.

Online royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2021, 04:54:40 pm »
This something i know little about and would not know one kind of drug from another. The only experience I have had in life was of a friend who took to smoking something who eventually went out of his mind and was committed under the Mental Health Act. When he returned to normal life he was along way from being a normal person.
Not good.
My avatar is a poor likeness.

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • ChCC, WCC, SWCC, WCDG
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2021, 05:02:16 pm »
This something i know little about and would not know one kind of drug from another. The only experience I have had in life was of a friend who took to smoking something who eventually went out of his mind and was committed under the Mental Health Act. When he returned to normal life he was along way from being a normal person.
Not good.

I have a friend who was a keen caver and climber, but suffered a major breakdown after taking up weed. He's now a schizophrenic shadow of his former self.  :(

I also know alcoholics, unable to work/ live a normal life, so I guess the same applies to booze.

Offline Mark Wright

• junky
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2021, 05:04:02 pm »
Frank Brown (now sadly deceased) of the DCC was king smoker, an "addict" only in the sense that weed was as essential to his life as oxygen, water and food. He was a very keen caver and was on Ken Pearce's diving expeditition to the Berger in 1963 for example. He always smoked on his trips and even on major foreign expeditions. He picked up a tip from Casteret's book. He took tobacco tin drilled a hole in the end fitted a cork with a needle on the inside, he would then fill the tin with pre-rolled joints which he could extract with the needle without wetting them. When he had a back issue, in hospital in full traction, he managed to roll up and smake in a ward full of people by blowing the smoke into one of the bed tubes. A character.

And that’s how ‘Joint Effort’ at the top of Cliff Cavern in Speedwell got its name. The original climb to the top was done by Frank.

Those were the days. Frank was a top bloke and very sadly missed.

Mark

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 05:55:21 pm »
Not good.

Not at all Roy , the trouble is mild stuff leads to the stronger serious stuff looking for the every increasing high, a bricklayer college of mine went down the route of a few spliffs now and again , he has since died at a early age of 42 after an overdose of heroin . As you say Roy " not good "   :'(

Offline Flotsam

• regular
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2021, 06:01:49 pm »
Frank Brown (now sadly deceased) of the DCC was king smoker, an "addict" only in the sense that weed was as essential to his life as oxygen, water and food. He was a very keen caver and was on Ken Pearce's diving expeditition to the Berger in 1963 for example. He always smoked on his trips and even on major foreign expeditions. He picked up a tip from Casteret's book. He took tobacco tin drilled a hole in the end fitted a cork with a needle on the inside, he would then fill the tin with pre-rolled joints which he could extract with the needle without wetting them. When he had a back issue, in hospital in full traction, he managed to roll up and smake in a ward full of people by blowing the smoke into one of the bed tubes. A character.

And that’s how ‘Joint Effort’ at the top of Cliff Cavern in Speedwell got its name. The original climb to the top was done by Frank.

Those were the days. Frank was a top bloke and very sadly missed.

Mark

I swear he could roll up in a rainsoaked hurricane

Offline Fishes

• stalker
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2021, 06:04:33 pm »
We can all choose if we go caving with people who smoke weed just like we can choose if we go caving with someone who has a drink. If you don't like it then go caving/mine exploring with someone else. I don't mind someone smoking the odd joint or drinking a pint but I don't really want to be underground with somebody who is hammered.

Synthetic cannabinoids such as spice or mamba seem to be a much bigger health/social problem than weed has ever been. This seems to be amplified by them being deliberately adulterated with addictive substances such as fentanyl so that suppliers get customers addicted. If you have seen people on the street that look/act like zombies then there is a good chance that they have been smoking something like this.

Offline Mark Wright

• junky
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2021, 06:29:10 pm »
I’m currently sat in a bar in Barcelona where it would appear smoking weed is mandatory.

If I was offended by passive smoking I would leave. I think I’ll have another beer.

Mark

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2021, 06:31:07 pm »
I had a fat one (outdoors) before installing a 12-bolt traverse across the wall of an underground chamber yesterday, and I wasn't especially hampered - apart from a mysterious attack of 'Mouldy Old Dough' by Lieutenant Pigeon entering my head halfway through - but then some things are simply beyond our understanding. My colleagues didn't seem to be concerned following me across either, and we found new passage. Some people are just fine, regardless of the strength. Not many, I admit, and I suspect I may be some sort of prototype.

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2021, 06:33:11 pm »
I had a fat one (outdoors) before installing a 12-bolt traverse across the wall of an underground chamber yesterday, and I wasn't especially hampered - apart from a mysterious attack of 'Mouldy Old Dough' by Lieutenant Pigeon entering my head halfway through - but then some things are simply beyond our understanding. My colleagues didn't seem to be concerned following me across either. Some people are just fine, regardless of the strength. Not many, I admit, and I suspect I may be some sort of prototype.

Mouldy Old Dough  Ha Ha I know that one and you say you were alright   :lol: Seriously Some people can get addicted to anything even things like paracetamol and have them like smarties another common one is Benylin Expectorant and even Victory " V,s "  my wife meets them at the hospital where she works

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2021, 06:41:40 pm »
Ironically the Victory V factory in England  (Liverpool?) closed down when it was discovered one of their ingredients was technically illegal, and they were forced to remove it. Sales plummeted due to the reduced buzz (I stopped buying them) and they had to lay off their workforce. It's true.

Edit: Here you go - chloroform and ether - now that's a sweet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_V

Offline Cantclimbtom

• addict
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2021, 08:04:44 pm »
Not good.

I have a friend who was a keen caver and climber, but suffered a major breakdown after taking up weed. He's now a schizophrenic shadow of his former self.  :(

I also know alcoholics, unable to work/ live a normal life, so I guess the same applies to booze.

I've known both happen to people. Alcoholism leading to further mental health problems and full blown schizophrenia precipitated by binge cannabis smoking. 2 tragedies.I'm not going to speculate on chicken versus egg in either, but to say both were otherwise avoidable tragedies caused by the respective excesses
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline Wolfo

• German bugger
  • regular
    • ArgeKH
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2021, 08:49:55 pm »
Well I do. Sometimes.
Depends on the people around, but there are still cavers from a more or less alternative ("anachist") background and some more relaxed view in the point of drugs. If you have this tight, wet, dampy dig...  ;)
Never on an expedition or some demanding 24h trip...as based on reason.
Lower Saxony - Harz Mountain Area - Germany

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2021, 08:53:09 pm »
Mouldy Old Dough  Ha Ha I know that one and you say you were alright   :lol: Seriously Some people can get addicted to anything even things like paracetamol and have them like smarties another common one is Benylin Expectorant and even Victory " V,s "  my wife meets them at the hospital where she works
Some cough mixtures can be pretty heavy stuff - the only time I've ever had a complete memory blank of a night out was when I'd been swigging benilyn through the day for a cough, then had a few bottles of Newcastle brown that evening. I've still no idea what happened after the second bottle, other than waking up next to the remains of a Chinese takeaway which I assume I must have bought and eaten. Then there was the pholcodeine-based cough mixture that I had a load of on the train from Bradford to Sheffield to see my then-girlfriend; by the time I got there I was on a different planet, I subsequently found out that it's a synthetic opiate!
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline thehungrytroglobite

• regular
  • UNCC - SRT Union - BAACA
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2021, 09:18:55 pm »
Interesting, this is kind of related to my thread the other day but I have a different take on this!

I personally have not (yet?) consumed the devil's lettuce underground, but it stank of it last time I was in Giants so some people definitely do... whether they were cavers or not is a different matter. I would be cautious of getting high underground for safety reasons, so if I were to do it then it would have to be relatively near an easy entrance, etc. plus I know my limits and I'd stay well within them. But I have no intention of doing this, because the adrenaline of a *good* (aka, gnarly) caving trip should be sufficient enough that I don't need anything else.

I'm not totally against people doing it, because at least the smell isn't as horrific as plain tobacco smoke. However I do think it would be downright stupid to smoke any significant amount underground, and if cave rescue were called out because of it I'd be pretty pissed off.
full of whimsical ideas

Offline sinker

• menacing presence
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2021, 09:27:38 pm »

Reading this thread, noting the contributors, then re-reading other totally non-related threads with posts from the same contributors....
I'm staggered by the coincidences I'm seeing and the connections I'm making.
A lot of things are starting to add up....
Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2021, 11:44:46 am »

Reading this thread, noting the contributors, then re-reading other totally non-related threads with posts from the same contributors....

It always amuses me how they drift of topic  :lol:

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2021, 11:52:40 am »
Could be paranoia, from smoking too much...

Online Boy Engineer

• addict
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2021, 12:30:35 pm »
on the train from Bradford to Sheffield to see my then-girlfriend; by the time I got there I was on a different planet

This is true irrespective of circumstance, with all due respect to the good folk of Sheffield.
As a youngster I was excited to learn we were to visit the Alhambra, with the prospect of hot Iberian weather and Moorish architecture. It was something of a come-down to end up in Bradford, in the drizzle.

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2021, 04:35:28 pm »
on the train from Bradford to Sheffield to see my then-girlfriend; by the time I got there I was on a different planet

This is true irrespective of circumstance, with all due respect to the good folk of Sheffield.
As a youngster I was excited to learn we were to visit the Alhambra, with the prospect of hot Iberian weather and Moorish architecture. It was something of a come-down to end up in Bradford, in the drizzle.

I worked on that shopping centre when it was a big hole in the ground , some years ago now is was a VERY hot summer the reflection of the concrete we were shuttering nearly fried me . At least its still standing  so we must have done something right . Also lost 4 work colleagues driving home, had a smash on the M1 killed all four out right dad and his three sons   :down:

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2021, 08:33:40 pm »

It's starting to resemble  Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers cartoon, maybe "The Potheads go Potholing"...
Dirty old mines need love too....

Online Speleofish

• stalker
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2021, 09:26:02 pm »
One of those bad memories from student days. Climbing, not caving but this was merely a matter of chance. Much partying the previous evening. We took our hangovers very, very gently up something vegetarian on High Tor. A friend, still speeding from yesterday, sprinted halfway up something else, encouraging one of the novices to follow. Then it all ran out. Fortissimo to diminuendo in about a minute. Fortunately, he had managed to plant some decent protection. Less fortunately, he fell asleep mid-pitch and fell/floated down about 5 metres, ending suspended inconveniently in the middle of nowhere. A slightly complex rescue followed as none of us knew what we were doing....
it would have been much harder underground. 

Offline Tangent_tracker

• DCC
  • addict
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2021, 10:25:05 pm »
We have banned smoking at Alderley once we discovered higher than expected levels of Radon. There is a link between smoking in elevated radon areas and cancer. I think it has something to do with the positively charged smoke particles attracting the radon particles and thus the radon is thought to sit decaying in your lungs for longer...

So if you want a good reason to stop smoking underground, you might have just found it!
Olly.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2021, 10:35:10 pm »
It's also looking possible that THC may reduce the likelihood of developing lung cancer, and reduce the growth of existing tumours, but it is early days yet, and studies are hard to get started for the simple reason the stuff is still illegal in many countries. But smoking in a radon atmosphere isn't a good idea, whatever it is. Just go to Matlock Bath caves and mines if you must do it as there's no radon there :)

Offline Tangent_tracker

• DCC
  • addict
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2021, 11:10:59 pm »
It's also looking possible that THC may reduce the likelihood of developing lung cancer, and reduce the growth of existing tumours, but it is early days yet, and studies are hard to get started for the simple reason the stuff is still illegal in many countries. But smoking in a radon atmosphere isn't a good idea, whatever it is. Just go to Matlock Bath caves and mines if you must do it as there's no radon there :)

Wouldn't be surprised tbh!

If only I could smoke the stuff but after doing too much LSD and having a lot of downers in my younger years I seem to too easily get spooked on weed :-( I think a lot depends on the company though... The last experience I had the only negative issue was releasing the bottle of wine I had lay in my stomach after some rather powerful stuff round a camp fire :chair:
Olly.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal