Smoking Weed Underground

Paul Marvin

Apparently smoking weed is a hot thing now under ground not cigarettes or pipes, and having said that Holme Bank always stinks of the stuff nowadays  :mad:

Cantclimbtom

The youth of today, what a disgrace!

That would never have happened back in the day, what... Wait a minute..!

mikem

Not so much cavers / mine explorers nowadays, but people looking for somewhere secluded.

pwhole

Attachments

• _IGP8688_sm.jpg
    _IGP8688_sm.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 178

cavemanmike

It's not just underground. I was on crib goch a while ago and came across half a dozen lads stoned out of their heads

Cantclimbtom

Wasn't there a rescue recentishly where 2 uninjured men were stranded on the heather terrace path where one had managed up that far but was just too tired to get down again. Maybe some lucozade, a Bombay bad boy pot noodle and a couple of snickers bars was what they really needed

tomferry

I no many weed smokers from caving, Landrover?s  hiking and various other hobbies I do not think scrutinising anyone for what they choose to do is correct , all of the people I no who do it are great and it doesn?t affect them at all they have to do it to feel Normal now it?s more of a shame than anything and I feel sorry for them , if they choose to walk around a cave /mine stoned out their box maybe it?s because of anxiety and they feel on edge without it so it?s their only way ? Either way if it doesn?t affect me I couldn?t care as long as they don?t leave rubbish and follow the standard rules  (y)

ILT

Down and beyond said:
I no many weed smokers from caving, Landrover?s  hiking and various other hobbies I do not think scrutinising anyone for what they choose to do is correct , all of the people I no who do it are great and it doesn?t affect them at all they have to do it to feel Normal now it?s more of a shame than anything and I feel sorry for them , if they choose to walk around a cave /mine stoned out their box maybe it?s because of anxiety and they feel on edge without it so it?s their only way ? Either way if it doesn?t affect me I couldn?t care as long as they don?t leave rubbish and follow the standard rules  (y)

Going underground when or to get intoxicated is foolish at the very least. It endangers their lives and the lives of those around them.
Endangering their lives is all very well but it's likely to have a knock on effect and put others in danger - underground when police, cave rescue, paramedics etc. are called, when they wobble out/down and fall, when they get in their missile and drive it.

Doesn't affect them - utter rubbish. The moment they take a draught of their drug of choice their judgement will start to be compromised. Slowed response to risks, over confidence, balance starting to become impaired etc.

Doesn't affect you? What if it's you that gets hurt as a result of their lack of judgement (I was going to say stupidity)? How about loss of access to the wider more responsible community? Due to a public outcry after a death or emergency services bean-counters realising how much money was spent recovering someone?

Extreme outcomes perhaps but ones that are easily avoided by using common sense.

Fishes

There has been a long history of people smoking weed underground. In my experience it is much less common now than it used to be, just as smoking tobacco is less common.

I'm not aware of it causing any cave rescues.

Cantclimbtom

Although I don't smoke (tobacco or other) there is some analogy to alcohol.  (Edit: no longer smoke)
Last night I had 1 small/stingy measure of Rye, I didn't drink the bottle become a danger to myself and others, become fighting drunk or any of that, quantity is one consideration.

I'm certainly not endorsing people doing it, but I do know some people who have had a small and weak one at times, that won't cause a particular danger. That's a very different situation to someone deciding to have a heavy smoke in a hazardous situation (which is obviously reprehensibly stupid). It would be helpful to distinguish between those two situations, as we're in danger of considering all smoking in terms of "Reefer Madness"

Live and let live -- providing they don't endanger themselves, others, or generally spoil it for everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXtumnTN6zg

Ian Adams

Seriously?

Are there any clubs that condone or allow the use of alcohol and/or drugs underground on club trips?

This is our club's policy ... I would be surprised if this is any different for any other club  :spank:

Attachments

• ucet.jpg
    ucet.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 157

tomferry

Have met many groups over the recent years a large amount of people still smoke it underground to be honest I thought it was common ! Me and the lads I travel with we do not but I have to admit I have also met people from well known cave rescue clubs who smoke it all day while doing their usual round trips .

PeteHall

Ian Adams said:
Are there any clubs that condone or allow the use of alcohol and/or drugs underground on club trips?

While the pubs were closed and the weather was inappropriate for a post-cave pint outside, we decided to have a beer and chocolate brownie in the entrance chamber after our trip on one occasion. This was very much enjoyed and rounded off the trip nicely.  :beer:

Cantclimbtom said:
Although I don't smoke (tobacco or other) there is some analogy to alcohol.  (Edit: no longer smoke)
I do know some people who have had a small and weak one at times, that won't cause a particular danger. That's a very different situation to someone deciding to have a heavy smoke in a hazardous situation (which is obviously reprehensibly stupid).

I suppose this is akin to having a pint before driving home vs getting pissed up before driving home. The former is perhaps frowned upon more than it once was, but perfectly legal and can be done in a responsible way. The latter is illegal and completely reckless, even if there is "only a mile or two home".

Cantclimbtom

PeteHall said:
..., we decided to have a beer and chocolate brownie in the entrance chamber after our trip on one occasion. This was very much enjoyed and rounded off the trip nicely.  :beer:....
Agree, and in my avatar that's a single can of Brewdog Punk IPA being consumed outdoors (although I prefer a dead pony club, but the Co-op no longer sell it)

tomferry

Very fair comments .

I believe it will always happen and always has , if you kick the weed smokers out the club they will always join another or just go with each other , end of the day it?s a shame because their just people that need help to get over it in my view  (y)