Eyam dale house digging?

benshannon

I'm heading into eyam dale house in a few weeks. I notice on the 1985 survey that there is a drafting dig towards the dynamite series of Carlswalk. Did this ever go? Is it a still an active dig?

2xw

Iirc it was smoke tested by John Beck as coming from Dynamite series. If dug through I sense it would make a particularly squalid through trip. Personally I reckon tother end of it goes to Ivy Green

If you want a dig in stoney there are much better prospects!

Rob

I'm not certain that it'll be squalid the whole way. According to survey there's 15m elevation difference (Picnic Passage is lower), so there's probably at least one bit you'll be able to stand up  ;)

But agree it's not the best dig in Stoney  :clap:

2xw

Go on then, it would be cool to be fair. If you need ewt let me know - you've got me on Facebook. Drop us an email and I can help with the beaurocracy.

Tommy

I had the same thought until I looked at the digging in the Picnic end. Grim.

Those Pembo Bros were daft as.

But yes it would be a great through trip for Derbyshite's "Brown Book".

Had a look at the EDHC end with Starless Tony, much more approachable, but still not an easy or fun dig, especially if you're new to digging. Easy wins are good, they encourage you to keep going, or to stop digging/caving entirely depending on your character, see P8.

Have a good search on this forum as there are plenty of threads to provide info.

Good luck.

alastairgott

Easy digging, got my vote there topimo! What about some of the fissures in the quarry on the opposite side of stoney? I seem to remember some from a walk I did in the first quarry from the big layby near stoney.

Top bench, about halfway along the southern edge of the quarry, seems to be some interesting fissures in the face there.

Otherwise if your like a pig in muck, try fatigue pot. A lovely cave, which needs some love which me and topimo couldn't show it.

Tommy

Ref Fatigue.

The rift at the end that leads to the valley centre where you can allegedly hear a stream after rain could do with some energetic expansion. Maybe.

JB35

I?ve been looking for a dig down Stoney of late if anyone has any more good suggestions? Easy digging with big wins sounds great...

Had a look down rubble rift the other night but it looks like it needs a lot of TLC before any significant removal can commence.

martinb

JB35 said:
I?ve been looking for a dig down Stoney of late if anyone has any more good suggestions? Easy digging with big wins sounds great...

Had a look down rubble rift the other night but it looks like it needs a lot of TLC before any significant removal can commence.

Got one in Merlins if you're interested. 5 mins easy stroll from entrance, may pay dividends for little input.

Also a bit of work in Sunday Mine (and Sunday Mine Aaron's Entrance) as the 2 intersect - voice connection for definate - would give a through trip. 5 mins in Sunday Mine from entrance, maybe 10-15 mins in Aaron's entrance.

There's also the boulder choke in Streaks just begging for a poke - horrendous trip to the end though!

And on that subject, another boulder choke in Yoga Cave is just ripe for whacking with a long pole, and it's barely 5 -10 mins from entrance.

And if anyone's interested in pushing a lead in Herne Hill Number 1, 5 mins from entrance, then just ask.

Pipster

martinb said:
And on that subject, another boulder choke in Yoga Cave is just ripe for whacking with a long pole, and it's barely 5 -10 mins from entrance.

Hi Martin - Where abouts? We have an active dig at the end of the Yoga Cave where it intersects Streaks Vein - see Descent 275. :)

Pipster

I always wondered if it would be worthwhile opening up the Nickergrove main level again - past the current collapse (in the 90s) beyond Rift Chamber. I'm pretty sure I read that that it went for some distance into further mine workings, and think I recall something about some natural in there (although I can't be certain). I've never researched it though, so getting hold of any literature, to find out what was discovered would be interesting. Pretty sure there will be people on this forum who would know though....

Pipster

Pipster said:
I always wondered if it would be worthwhile opening up the Nickergrove main level again - past the current collapse (in the 90s) beyond Rift Chamber. I'm pretty sure I read that that it went for some distance into further mine workings, and think I recall something about some natural in there (although I can't be certain). I've never researched it though, so getting hold of any literature, to find out what was discovered would be interesting. Pretty sure there will be people on this forum who would know though....

I couldn't resist a quick google; looks like DPC took a quick look in 2017 (also mentions the bit of natural)...
http://thedpc.co.uk/projects/other

26/01/17 ? After checking out the shaft on the west end of White Rake on the Monday we decided to have a look at the collapse in Nickergove which is blocking the level heading pretty much straight for it. We understand the level essentially ends at a forefield inches away from White Rake but there was also a silted tube heading off in the vicinity. With this in mind, we thought we?d check out quite how big the collapse is that is currently blocking the way on. As it turns out, it?s pretty big, but about 30 minutes digging managed to create a void in the roof and it?s certainly do-able but it would be a long-term dig. There?s a huge volume of material to shift and it may even mean reinstating the old railway installed by John Beck & Co. Satisfied we?d had a good look, we headed out, washed up and scuttled off to The Moon. We?ll probably leave this one for someone else. (Rob, Ed, Mike)

martinb

Pipster said:
martinb said:

Hi Martin - Where abouts? We have an active dig at the end of the Yoga Cave where it intersects Streaks Vein - see Descent 275. :)

Thats the one, we looked at it about 10 years ago, looks promising if you like big, unstable chokes!

martinb

Pipster said:
Pipster said:

I couldn't resist a quick google; looks like DPC took a quick look in 2017 (also mentions the bit of natural)...
http://thedpc.co.uk/projects/other

26/01/17 ? After checking out the shaft on the west end of White Rake on the Monday we decided to have a look at the collapse in Nickergove which is blocking the level heading pretty much straight for it. We understand the level essentially ends at a forefield inches away from White Rake but there was also a silted tube heading off in the vicinity. With this in mind, we thought we?d check out quite how big the collapse is that is currently blocking the way on. As it turns out, it?s pretty big, but about 30 minutes digging managed to create a void in the roof and it?s certainly do-able but it would be a long-term dig. There?s a huge volume of material to shift and it may even mean reinstating the old railway installed by John Beck & Co. Satisfied we?d had a good look, we headed out, washed up and scuttled off to The Moon. We?ll probably leave this one for someone else. (Rob, Ed, Mike)

Ditto this, we looked at the collapse about the time we opened up the blocked shaft and crawl into Nickergrove Streamway, my mate took a look at it and decided it was someone elses problem!

Pipster

Back to Eyam Dale House Cave, Caves of the Peak District mentions "passages enlarges until the Roomy North West Chamber is reached, with various digging possibilities" - sounds interesting! Although this is the opposite end of the cave to where the potential connection to Dynamite Series is.

Rob

Not sure i've been to NW Chamber but it's certainly heading into an interesting area, heading for some prominent cross rifts in the Glebe workings which do have natural development on.

It may be interesting to note it's also one of the highest bits of natural in the catchment.

Survey attached for interest.

Attachments

• Eyam Dale House Cave.pdf
    401.3 KB · Views: 177

pwhole

I've got a couple of average-quality (onboard flash) shots of NW Chamber - first looking SE, from forward of the base of the 6m pitch, and the second looking NW from the same spot - presumably the boulder choke is where the leads might be as I don't remember much in the roof behind John. Though it was nine years ago...

Attachments

• _IGP9991_sm.jpg
    _IGP9991_sm.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 164
  • _IGP9992_sm.jpg
    _IGP9992_sm.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 175