Wrysgan Mine Info

Paul Marvin

Guys we have been in here 3 times and cant find the way through to the incline no matter how hard we have looked . We have been up the scree path inside turned right through the tunnel then behind the big salte lump to pick up the tracks and then we hit a dead end , where are we going wrong ?  :chair:  :blink:

We are keen to do another trip to film over Xmas

Paul

Paul Marvin

Ian Adams said:
Do you mean the internal incline?

Are you entering the mine from the top adit?

Ian

We have been in the top adit but as you know that doesnt turn into much, we are going in the bottom and then up the scree to your left and I am told there is a internal incline ect to be found

Paul

ChrisJC

You are aware that you can go in at the top and out at the bottom without any gear I presume?

Chris.

ChrisJC

Well this is the location, assuming it is still there, and not buried by scree...

Chris.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-12-16 08-36-32.png
    Screenshot from 2021-12-16 08-36-32.png
    881.3 KB · Views: 196

Cantclimbtom

slightly lame for me to post someone else's YouTube video, but do you find any clues in this walkthrough top to bottom. There is a squeeze about 8 minutes in the video, is that what you missed when you were there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuN1xpjPcZg&t

It's been years since I've been in this one. I don't recall an internal incline. I thought slate was brought out horizontally in tunnels to the external inclines. The through route threads up between links in the chambers.

The hard bit was always finding the first hole behind the pillar in the large lower level which you seem to have found. A level or two above that had the wires where groups of youngsters were often taken to have a go at basic rope work. That should be a well worn route, and it's of concern if it's no longer obvious.

LJR

The route with the safety line wire was removed some years ago. There are proper, tested anchor points along that ledge for you to rig your own lines.
I too am not aware of anything like an underground incline and I have inspected the place many times over the years. Unless there is one in the far reaches or there was one that is now buried by some of the massive falls.

Blober

Hi Paul,

If you are on the top level keep heading inby and you'll come across a "collapse" you can actually climb up and over this and you'll be into another big open to daylight chamber which funnily enough has the remains of an aerial ropeway, keep heading inby and I think the second to last chamber is where the internal incline is.

I'm sure if we are all about one of us Thursday nighters would be happy to show you around. Not sure where my work schedule lies right now but otherwise myself or someone else will be about!  (y)

Paul Marvin

LJR said:
The route with the safety line wire was removed some years ago. There are proper, tested anchor points along that ledge for you to rig your own lines.
I too am not aware of anything like an underground incline and I have inspected the place  many times over the years. Unless there is one in the far reaches or there was one that is now buried by some of the massive falls.

There is definitely a internal incline in there I have just received a text

ChrisJC

Paul Marvin said:
ChrisJC said:
Well this is the location, assuming it is still there, and not buried by scree...

Chris.

Which floor is whats known as the bottom Adit Chris ?

I have no idea Paul. I think you are going to have to explore it thoroughly! I just made the through trip about 3 years ago on a whim.

Chris.

Paul Marvin

ChrisJC said:
Paul Marvin said:
ChrisJC said:

Chris.

Which floor is whats known as the bottom Adit Chris ?

I have no idea Paul. I think you are going to have to explore it thoroughly! I just made the through trip about 3 years ago on a whim.

Chris.

Just found out the bottom adit is floor 8

Myfyr Tomos

Hi all. Just seen this thread this now. Went through Wrysgan - bottom to top again last Sunday and the only underground incline I can think of is the one leading down from the second from last chamber on Floor 6(top) to 5. This is the one shown in the footage referred to by Cantclimbtom. On Sunday there was a reasonably fresh rope attached to a block on 6 and coiled at the top of the incline.
How recent is that video? When I went down the "wormhole" a few years ago, I seem to remember it being quite a squeeze (and I'm not big!) and then abbing off a tiny in-situ peg with an exhaust clamp fixed to it to get down to floor 1. Can't remember any scaffolding either - has everything collapsed since or been completely re-rigged?

ps. still use a 1996 plan by Dave Baines.

Paul Marvin

Myfyr Tomos said:
Hi all. Just seen this thread this now. Went through Wrysgan - bottom to top again last Sunday and the only underground incline I can think of is the one leading down from the second from last chamber on Floor 6(top) to 5. This is the one shown in the footage referred to by Cantclimbtom. On Sunday there was a reasonably fresh rope attached to a block on 6 and coiled at the top of the incline.
How recent is that video? When I went down the "wormhole" a few years ago, I seem to remember it being quite a squeeze (and I'm not big!) and then abbing off a tiny in-situ peg with an exhaust clamp fixed to it to get down to floor 1. Can't remember any scaffolding either - has everything collapsed since or been completely re-rigged?

The video was posted in Sept 2021 and chris said he had just done it so I would say pretty up to date

David Roberts

Myfyr Tomos said:

Hi Myfyr.  The "wormhole" has been improved a lot.  It's been dug out & shored up and no longer looks like it might come tumbling on top of you as fast as you can descend it!  It looks quite civilised now, although there is a bit of drainage going down it.  I was there on Friday 17th December 2021.