Giant's Hole Payment Box Vandalism

Pete K

I was down Giants with an Edale group this morning, didn't see the farmer but....
Sometime between yesterday and this morning (Sat 24th) the green payment box in Peakshill Farm car park appears to have been broken into. The wood surround has been smashed and the internal security box is missing.

As of this morning there was nowhere to place your trespass fee. If you are intending to visit in the near future you may want to drop in at the farm to pay or pin a cheque to the box.

I guess ?3 a caver was too tempting for someone.

Pete K

paul

There's now a white lockable post box on the side of the original pay box and we used that this morning.

C

Cats

Giants Hole white money box smashed between Wednesday lunchtime and Thursday the 3rd of July.

Christian_Chourot

Would a payment box just inside the cave be an alternative with an agreement to ferry the box to the landowner regularly? Never been so don't know the site or situation. Seems like replacing the box is a no-no now without a mammoth stake-out effort.

cap n chris

Perhaps it could be protected by some kind of tamper-and-it'll-blow-up-in-your-face mechanism. Or maybe that's against some law or another.

Pete K

Can't believe its gone again! Is it cavers? Doubtfull. Perhaps local scallies that have been down on a trip with a leader. I know that about 30 squadies have been taken down there 30th/1st/2nd. Only cheques left in the box though!

Maybe a chip and pin machine would do it. Go high tech!

Pipster

Cats said:
Giants Hole white money box smashed between Wednesday lunchtime and Thursday the 3rd of July.

I'm pretty sure it must have happened after 10pm on Wednesday (2nd) - coz thats when our trip finished!... Unless we didn't notice it smashed on our way out... but it was definetely fine around 7pm.

SamT

Whilst I find it abhorent that this is repeatedly broken into. Is it not a little nieve of us to be putting a big box in the middle of nowhere, over looked by nobody for the use of storing money.

"Cavers - please leave 3 pounds a head in this box please".

It doesn't take a genius to work out that the local scallies have cottoned on to the fact.

kev "I've run out of dosh to buy me cider/weed/tint for me XR3i,  innit"
dwain "innit, lets just go and nick that money box near sparrapit, innit"
kev "innit"

How about a money box either up at the farm (though a letter box?) (or would that encourage the scallies to break into the house itself)

or - just inside the cave entrance seems like the best place, Im sure a metal box type thing could be bolted/cemented in at a suitable spot.

either that - or the land owner gives up charging (horay) or bans access all together (boo).

:confused:

Pete K

I think that we are bound to end up paying at the farm soon. A box in the cave would probably be just as easy a target, even less likely to be caught in the act.
I hope it does not go the way of some other sites and need prebooking and prepayment.

SamT

Pete K said:
A box in the cave would probably be just as easy a target, even less likely to be caught in the act.

do you think - I'd be surprised if the local yoof would a: be aware it was there (that big green box thing is pretty obvious), b: be arsed to get their white trainers muddy getting there.

(thats if it is indeed local yoof, and not some hard up caver who regularly reads these pages  :-\)

Pete K

I would be suprised if someone has spotted it from the road and come down for a look and ended up nicking it. I think the tealeaf must have been down there as a caver (or know cavers etc..), if this is the case then repositioning the box in the cave will not stop this happening.
I wonder if it is the same crew both times or just a coincidence?

ditzy 24//7

bubba said:
Maybe just a secure box would do the trick?

i thought the metal box was secure.but not the post box that has recently been put in its place.
bearing in mind that the thugs are willing to cut through metal how can they possibly make it secure if people are willing to go to stupid lengths to vandalise and steel.

bubba

Administrator
I'm not sure what the box was like, not been there recently, but it doesn't sound very secure. Over a weekend there could be over a hundred quid in it so it's got to be pretty damn solid else it's just easy pickings for somebody with a lump-hammer.

ditzy 24//7

the metal box that was stolen a wile back was quite secure but the new one that is also damaged wasnt, it was just like a average post box people put outside there houses.

050524_cbrown_mp_mfl_139.jpg

and could easily just have the money stolen out of it by someone putting there hand into it.

C

Cats

There is a new post box cemented into the wall at Giants so much more secure for cavers puting in their envelopes.

C

Cats

The new red post box cemented into the wall at Giants had the door smashed into six pieces at the week end.  They left behind an empty beer bottle and a pair of rubber gauntlets. They strike yet again.