Ammo boxes

SamT

Just been looking and Capn Chris's photie in the gallery (very good) and noticed the person carrying an ammo box.

Do people actually still use these. :shock: They look like the most cumbersome nightmares.

Surely a darren drum in a tackle bag is far more suited to use underground. It is lighter and softer (on both the cave and your legs).
If your really worried about your kit (camearas etc) then splash the cash on a pelicase.

underground

I bet they wouldn't do a flowstone floor much good if they were pushed along in front through tight bits either...

I intend to buy one, however it will be used to store my chainsaw files and spanners etc.

Stu

underground said:
I bet they wouldn't do a flowstone floor much good if they were pushed along in front through tight bits either...

I intend to buy one, however it will be used to store my chainsaw files and spanners etc.

Why do you need a chainsaw down a cave.....

j...o..........k.....................e!! :D

paul

SamT said:
Do people actually still use these. :shock: They look like the most cumbersome nightmares.

Maybe your're suggestion is a better idea - but it's not as cheap!

I was in GB on Mendip a couple of years ago and heard a long serious of bangs and rattles getting nearer and nearer. It turned out to be a father and son team with an ammo box. The box had a bracket welded on the bottom and a long sling attached. Whenever the father needed hands free, he simply dropped the box and let it drag behind him as he went! Hence the noise...

He had some camera gear inside so that must have been pretty robust even if the cave wasn't!

dunc

Do people actually still use these. They look like the most cumbersome nightmares.

I have one which is used for storage purposes only, tried it in a cave once or twice but decided it was more hassle than it was worth!
The camera (which is a more rugged variety) now sits in a waterproof bag in my srt bag on most trips and survives suprisingly well.

SamT

paul said:
Maybe your're suggestion is a better idea - but it's not as cheap!

bit like rope ladders with wooden rungs being cheaper that electron ladders then :?