Is it art?

Caver Keith

The clips that make up this small video were taken Ogof Ffynnon Ddu on 2nd September 2017.
The first clip is of cavers walking along the entrance passage. Almost no front lighting is used and so the cave passage is revealed only by the cavers' head torches as they progress along it.
This is overlaid with a second clip of water dripping into a calcited pool.
The cavers have been slowed down a little to give them an etherial/ghostly motion and the water drips have been slowed down 10 times to reveal the beauty of the patterns the splashes make.
The effect produced by blending the two sequences together is quite subtle and it may need to be watched a couple of times to appreciate what is going on.
It must be art as it was judged to be the best artwork produced digitally at Hidden Earth 2017.

http://youtu.be/FsNgV9z-1pg

Fulk

It rather begs the question 'What is art?' ? oh, and another one 'Does it matter?'

It seems me that whether or not it's 'ART' is irrelevant; what matters is whether or not one likes it.

JasonC

You can stick a turd on a table and call it Art, so as Fulk says, that's not the point.
It's a damn fine video, and yes it is art: some thought, imagination and skill has gone into combining the two sets of images to produce something much more than the sum of the parts.  Nice one!

kay

Fulk said:
It rather begs the question 'What is art?' ? oh, and another one 'Does it matter?'

It seems me that whether or not it's 'ART' is irrelevant; what matters is whether or not one likes it.

Does it not become art when it ceases to be merely representation or decoration and starts to convey a message? This carries a message to me of the permanence of natural wonder against the transience of humans; and that we need nature more than nature needs us. So for me it's art.

Kenilworth

kay said:
Does it not become art when it ceases to be merely representation or decoration and starts to convey a message? This carries a message to me of the permanence of natural wonder against the transience of humans; and that we need nature more than nature needs us. So for me it's art.

I don't know what art is or isn't, but the video does seem to try and acknowledge something beyond what it shows. Whatever that is, I saw in it two examples of transience. And I was reminded of my perception of careless cave travel as a sort of time travel, or a radical speeding up of time. Some people might not mind, but time travel makes me uneasy.