Brexit box - good expedition food??

Alex

I don't know if any of you have seen  these boxes, I am not getting political, but do you think it's worth getting because even if there is no-deal the 48 freeze dried meals you get could be very handy for expeditions.

Looking on-line a typical meal of this sort costs around ?8. I worked out for the meals alone in this it's ?6.25 each in the box, but I probbably won't eat 48 of them over 5 years. But you also get water filtration kit (could be used underground I guess) and some fire starting gel (not much use underground) so a good deal?

Has anyone bought one of these boxes? Are these meals of good quality, good amount of calories etc? I assume they are the kind where you just add boiling water?

2xw

That sounds a bit post apocalyptic. I have a food stockpile in case of a no deal (based on my colleagues views) because I expect a temporary but irritating rise of price on almost everything: but it's made up of things I will eat anyways, so if nothing happens post Brexit then I just have fuller cupboards (I'm talking pasta, tins etc)

As far as expedition goes, the expeds I've been on (rather we really) usually cook large group meals rather than use the pouch style ones. Some of the pouch style ones are okay but usually not as a good as a normally cooked meal IMO

kay

There's always someone ready to profit, isn't there?

https://www.emergencyfoodstorage.co.uk/products/brexit-box

Bit of a bizarre mixture - the packets are all single servings, no two the same. So if you're a couple, you'll be having some strange mixtures. Then the tinned meat has 24 servings, so assuming there's two of you, once you crack open the diced chicken, you'll be having chicken for breakfast, dinner and tea for 4 days straight. That's unless you can freeze it, and if you're confident that there won't be power cuts, why not just find cheaper things to fill your freezer with?

royfellows

You need to get petrol in and stockpile it urgently.

Ah, sorry no forget it. Exon haven't paid for this yet

Pitlamp

. . . and we were doing so well, with no-one mentioning the disaster which Brexit has descended into.

Rachel

It's a lot cheaper (and probably pleasanter) to stockpile tins of various curries/chillies/stews. I've done it every winter since the village became an island for a few days during storm Desmond and there was rioting in the co-op over the last loaf. Anything that doesn't get eaten in an emergency will do nicely for camping in the spring.

Speleofish

I did some stockpiling in 1999 when our IT expert told us he believed in the Millennium Bug. He bought a generator, huge quantities of fuel and a disturbingly large amount of baked beans. I was less enthusiastic but found myself with more beans and corned beef than I could ever want. My only advice is, if you buy, make sure you get good quality stuff and get a reasonable variety...

RobinGriffiths

In preparation for when the balloon goes up, simply get a felt tip pen, and mark your significant other thusly:

1PRJ94c.png

royfellows

Speleofish said:
I did some stockpiling in 1999 when our IT expert told us he believed in the Millennium Bug. He bought a generator, huge quantities of fuel and a disturbingly large amount of baked beans. I was less enthusiastic but found myself with more beans and corned beef than I could ever want. My only advice is, if you buy, make sure you get good quality stuff and get a reasonable variety...

So what happened when the millennium bug hit, I can see you survived so was not hit by a falling plane.
A lot of the stuff we are fed seems to have an unpleasant smell to it for some reason.

Anyway, I have just transferred my money from Climate Change stock to No Deal Brexit stock, these shares will soar

ZombieCake

Water availability is a key issue here.  The stuff needs to be re-hydrated, so either need to carry water or have a supply at destination.  A means to heat water is needed, nice to have the Fire Dragon gel but no box of matches to light it, or a container to heat is included.  They do offer a ?595 version that covers some of these ommissions! https://www.emergencyfoodstorage.co.uk/products/deluxe-brexit-box
The fuel gel makers, BCB International, have various other products  http://bcbin.com/?s=Fire+Dragon&post_type=product
I have used the gel and it's OK, but the solid fuel version and folding cooker may be more practical (I'll probably get one in due course, but currently use a small ultra light gas stove).
The freeze dried stuff is OK to eat (not exactly Michelin 3 star though) and has plenty of calories to provide energy.  The design is really for long term 'zombie apocalypse' bunker storage, or light weight to carry if on the move.  So if/when  Brexit turns out the same as the millenium bug then the supplies are still there for a good few years.
For domestic use, as some previous posters have said, a few extra tins of beans, tuna, curry, etc. are cheaper, and still have several years shelf life.  Disadvantage is bulk and weight, but not an issue if you don't have to carry it. Things like sugar, salt and honey last pretty much for ever if well stored. Dried pasta lasts ages too.
For rescue dumps etc. something like the Seven Oceans liferaft rations and water may be an idea  https://evaq8.co.uk/FOOD-and-WATER.html
Don't forget the bog roll, a spoon, Tabasco, and some bottled water.

Alex

Well I have decided I am going to start stock-piling, but probably not splash out on the Brexit box. Tins of food and long-life milk kind of stuff will do for now.

royfellows

I am doing bugger all, same as millennium bug, bird flu, the 2015 end of the world etc

When the time passes and Jack happens all the panic mongers and pushers disappear into the sunset like the Lone Ranger.

paul

royfellows said:
I am doing bugger all, same as millennium bug, bird flu, the 2015 end of the world etc

Yes, the Millennium Bug (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2000_problem) where dates were stored without the first two digits in the year. There was a lot of hooh-hah at the time in the papers and TV, etc. with ridiculous claims on what would happen (planes falling out of the sky,  power station exploding), but a lot of problems were actually prevented because of a lot of hard work in the IT industry at the time.

I remember all the additional work we had to do at the time (and no, I wasn't a contractor so didn't earn any extra money), and as it was done correctly, a lot of issues were prevented. So "nothing" happened, because the issues were recognised and dealt with before they could happen. And then it was found that 2000 would be a leap year after all...

Still, we've got 2038 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2000_problem#Year_2038_problem) to look forward to!

langcliffe

paul said:
Yes, the Millennium Bug (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2000_problem) where dates were stored without the first two digits in the year. There was a lot of hooh-hah at the time in the papers and TV, etc. with ridiculous claims on what would happen (planes falling out of the sky,  power station exploding), but a lot of problems were actually prevented because of a lot of hard work in the IT industry at the time.

I remember all the additional work we had to do at the time (and no, I wasn't a contractor so didn't earn any extra money), and as it was done correctly, a lot of issues were prevented. So "nothing" happened, because the issues were recognised and dealt with before they could happen. And then it was found that 2000 would be a leap year after all...

Absolutely - one of my responsibilities at the time was managing a team that was tasked with testing every bit of software and hardware we sold, and getting problems fixed either internally or by our suppliers. I remember we established that the Fortran compiler from a major computer manufacturer couldn't handle the problem. If that hadn't been fixed, who knows how many bits of software would have failed all over the world.

People do not seem to realise that the fact the Millennium Bug turned out to be a damp squid  was actually a very major achievement for the IT industry.